Gibson Brands Forums

Great song to play (+ Gibson content)

Lefty Guy

One of my favourite songs of recent years & the 2 rhythm players have nice Gibsons (1:17 for good view of both)!

Its also very easy to play as its basically only 4 chords (Am Em G D7) until the bridge near the end (C is added)

Well that's nice, Lefty. I never knew the Sun had it in them to disseminate anything so tasteful. This is one of the songs that marked him out as having grown up a bit, I think. Much better than Brand New Shoes (apologies PM, on several fronts - look, though, he uses a Cajon too, but clearly he can't afford Jen Lowe's services or her Vater brushes either, though I swear, if you could book her, that will give your band the edge over any other).

According to PM, his mum makes good fish and chips too.

Nice Gibsons, but I wish I could hear the Bird more. The 200 is clear enough, but I don't really get much of the mid tones or bass that it ought to be capable of. Sounds a bit generic steel-string (so Martin copy) and tinny in the mix, whereas I bet in person it's a real winner. Heresy no doubt, but I reckon an electric would have sounded better there, or maybe a resonator. I'm not sure why acoustic bands can't involve an electric on lead through a small amp. I find that a lot of acoustic lead players are really trying to pass off their electric licks and then find they don't have the sustain to carry it. Mid-20th-century country bands seemed quite happy to mix and match acoustic and electric instruments.

That's real-easy-to-listen to. I wish the individual instrument sounds had been enhanced, but I think the focus was the singer and his guitar. I liked all of it........BTW, no speakers blasting megawatts of sound. No shredding. No screaming voices. Almost like a band made-up of folk instruments. Pretty cool sounds. [thumbup]

Much better than Brand New Shoes

Agreed. I'm not much of a fan at all, I would never have suggested any covers of his stuff to the other boys I play with. The singer was responsible for that one, he tends to bring a few choices I would never have opted for, keeps it both interesting and amusing in equal measures. This week we took on Elvis and Bob Marley.

Here's a video of the first runthrough, just chords I'm afraid as it was the first go. Sound quality is poor as the mic was set of a very low sensitivity so the audio is normalised and heavily compressed to bring the volume up from the original source which was extremely low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe2ta4ScLOM

I'm not sure why acoustic bands can't involve an electric on lead through a small amp. I find that a lot of acoustic lead players are really trying to pass off their electric licks and then find they don't have the sustain to carry it.

A massive Amen on that. Toying with that very idea as it's a shame to leave this bad boy stuck in its case...

869e7bbb.jpg

Archived