Gibson Brands Forums

sg classic neck vs 61 reissue neck

freddyfingers

Hi to all those in the know. I have been interested in the 61reissue sg, as I like what feels to me to be a slimmer neck, the 60's profile I think its called. Anyway, someone wants to trade out something of mine for an sg classic, with the P90's. I know they sound different, as I know what P90's do, compared to the 57 classics. I did like the sound of the pete townsend version i played. My question today is the neck. Does the classic have that same thin feel as the 61sg reissue, or the townsend, or is it more like standard SG's, with the chunkier neck. The gibson website doesn't specify that, and I might not have time to get to a store to try a new one, before this guy wants to meet.

Thaks All!

Not much help here, but the Gibson site specs the Classic Faded with a "Rounded" profile which would be chunkier the the 60s tapered. The rounded is more of a "D" shape and the 60s is more of a "C" with the sides tapered a bit more. The pic below is a good comparison. I'm not sure if this translates to the Classic your looking at.

SG-Features-50s-Neck-Profile.jpg

Thanks guys. I played the townsend model, and didn't mind the neck, but the other sg's were on the big side for me. In a good world, I would have the 61 reissue. Although i did notice that there were differences between the same models, so I guess you never know. I just didn't want to take an hour drive to tell someone I don't like it. Thanks again, this place is full of good knowledge!

Hi to all those in the know. I have been interested in the 61reissue sg, as I like what feels to me to be a slimmer neck, the 60's profile I think its called. Anyway, someone wants to trade out something of mine for an sg classic, with the P90's. I know they sound different, as I know what P90's do, compared to the 57 classics. I did like the sound of the pete townsend version i played. My question today is the neck. Does the classic have that same thin feel as the 61sg reissue, or the townsend, or is it more like standard SG's, with the chunkier neck. The gibson website doesn't specify that, and I might not have time to get to a store to try a new one, before this guy wants to meet.

Thaks All!

Hello,

the neck of SG Classic ist rounder/thicker than the neck of a 61 Reissue. I have both models and personally I like the shape of the SG-Classic-neck better. But on the other hand I don't have any problems feeling comfortable on the thinner neck of the 61 Reissue :-)

Klaus

I am still on the fence with it. Sometimes it fits in my hands, and others i am bothered by it. i will get over this, i think i just need to keep playing the same model until I feel the right one, then grab it and run. Well, buy it.

Archived