Gibson Brands Forums

Where can I get the complete "story" (specs) on a Gibson Custom Shop L1?

PeteGalaxie

I bought a new (2011) Gibson Custom Shop L1 (one of only 16 made). It came with a certificate stating:

"A Five Star Custom Acoustic - exclusive Model", ...personally handmade in the Gibson Montana Master Shop in the year 2011.

Model: 1930's L-1

Serial Number: 1160xxxx

Master Luthier: Ren Ferguson

I was wondering where I could get a complete description/specifications of the guitar.

Thanks,

Pete

GibsonCustomShopL1004.jpg

I bought a new (2011) Gibson Custom Shop L1 (one of only 16 made). It came with a certificate stating:

"A Five Star Custom Acoustic - exclusive Model", ...personally handmade in the Gibson Montana Master Shop in the year 2011.

Model: 1930's L-1

Serial Number: 1160xxxx

Master Luthier: Ren Ferguson

I was wondering where I could get a complete description/specifications of the guitar.

Thanks,

Pete

GibsonCustomShopL1004.jpg

L-1 CUSTOM DETAILS & SPECS

• Top Hand Built & Signed By Ren Ferguson

• Signed Certificate & Letter of Authenticity

• Red Spruce Top & Mahogany Back & Sides

• Custom Hide Glue Internal Bracing By Master Luthier

• Historic Ladder Bracing Pattern

• Classic Wider V Neck Shape

• Custom Shop 1930’s Burst Lacquer Finish

• Vintage Open Slotted Bridge

• Bone Nut & Saddle

• Vintage Off‐White Button Tuners

• EXCLUSIVE TO FIVE STAR DEALERS ONLY

JC

WOW, Congratulations on that purchase. I've played one of those 16 and the one I played (several times) was always spot on! It sounded wonderful and you are fortunate to own one.

The story goes: Ren of course didn't build the guitar himself. But did supervise and do some of the bracing work himself (perhaps at his own home) It is a potentially valuable guitar.

What's the deal with that unusual bridge/saddle arrangement? I haven't seen that before. Is that a vintage replica bridge?

NIck ,

from what I heard. Ren got his hands on an example of each guitar . one J 35 , one L 00 , and one L1

he speced them out at his home and he produced those limited editions based on the specs he got from those particular examples.

JC

note: he only really built the tops(and worked on some necks for added comfort) . but I believe the whole guitar was done to his specs even though other people worked on them.

a beautiful guitar with the early version of the bridge for an L-1.

Does your guitar really have a "V" neck profile?

No, mine has a rounded neck - actually, very similar to my 2010 ES-335! I was surprised to see that in the specs...

No, mine has a rounded neck - actually, very similar to my 2010 ES-335! I was surprised to see that in the specs...

Oh, good! That list of specs got me worried. The originals did not have a V neck, but had a nice, low profile "modern" feeling neck.

Here is my 1928 L-1:

2222775210033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I just bought one of these yesterday. Considering the number built, there has been a real run on 'em lately!

Bob,

We need pics! These Robert Johnson-era reissues are gorgeous instruments.

We need pics! These Robert Johnson-era reissues are gorgeous instruments.

I'll see what I can manage. Between my photography skills and only having the camera in my phone, don't get your hopes too high!

-- Bob

I got it off the acoustic letter (music villa site)

they were selling a Ren built L1 from 2011 (Luthier's Choice)

Thats's mine, then. Thanks for posting the picture -- it's better than I'm going to be able to do!

-- Bob

Apparently, Robert Johnson actually played his blues on a cheap Kalamazoo archtop.....according to Robert Shines, his travelling buddy....but I digress....RAR congradulations on your new guitar, Pete, you too....wish I had one myself.....my little blues pocket rocket is the 1923 L-2, seen below

photo-1-1.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived