Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird TV ... one month on.

EuroAussie

So the first month is over and had a chance yeserday to record a backing track for my singer for our next track that we'll add to our set list, Aaron Lewis (Staind) - Its Been A While.

I think this track really works well on the Bird' as it excels at this arepeggio type pickin and as we know its a killer strumme.

The saturated mids are really coming out now as it some of the angry Bird too. Strings are still the same PB Pyramids and are holding on well, the Bird really loves well played in, warm strings, but as you can hear, still lots of sparkle in there.

Plugged in its a monster, the square shouldered dred really projects and delivers a full tone, really a great allrounder, almost as much as the SJ.

http://soundcloud.com/euroaussie/its-been-a-while-backing

Oh hep – Nice to hear the Bird fly. I'm particularly keen on the lower strings when picked. They sound just right, , , and holds a lot of promise. Personally I would try to dampen the somewhat 'spitzy' edge to the highs, but that's just me (or the recording) – I'm a darker mid-tone bass man, which I know from your HD-28V comments you're not.

And hep again – this time for the performance. Those double-strums are straight on the bow, , , maybe you should think of these as some kind of trademark. After all you are still called Double Shot, aren't you.

EA I think the 'spitzy' edge to the highs that Em7 talks about is a heavy right hand

I suffer from this personally and just have to hold back when recording, when playing live it sort of gets lost in the moment and performance

But with a microphone in front of your guitar its like having a microscopic view of your playing.

Sounds nice other wise.

I would also try a few different plectra and record those and listen to the difference it makes. Its not unusual for the engineer to want the acoustic guitarist to try a few different pics to get the right sound.

Heavier strings may also reduce this....

Recording is a lot different to playing live and you have to adjust accordingly

And hep again – this time for the performance. Those double-strums are straight on the bow, , , maybe you should think of these as some kind of trademark. After all you are still called Double Shot, aren't you.

I also love that double strum! Sounds very cool! Awesome sounding Bird!!

The Double strum ....honestly, i was completely oblivious to it until you guys pointed it out, but yeah, i guess its something i do tend to do quite a bit ..... sort of like a guitar 'twitch' .. ? I guess its good to have to create some personality but Im glad its been pointed out as Ill be more conscious about not over using it too much or it can get a bit OTT.

And youre right Greg, I do tend to have a heavy right hand, those Gibsons really like to be spanked, but for recording moderation is key and need to be more careful with dynamics .... the microscope analogy is a good one ! [thumbup]

I've sent the open file to my singer who will lay down the vocals. I might overdub some more guitar like an octave higher and mix it all. Will post here after BK.

Modern technology, hey ?

Nicely done, EA!

Can we hear the finished track with vocals, please? I am interested to hear the final result.....

BluesKing777.

Archived