Gibson Brands Forums

SG Nitro Finish Dullness -Will It Buff Out?

mac75

Guys, just purchased a 2007 SG and noticed there are some dull or cloudy areas on the back. Can this be buffed out at all and what should I use? It isn't scratches, just looks dull. I know niro finishes need special care, I'm hoping someone didn't use something they shouldn't have on it. Guitar is in excellent condition otherwise. Thanks for any help.

Guys, just purchased a 2007 SG and noticed there are some dull or cloudy areas on the back. Can this be buffed out at all and what should I use? It isn't scratches, just looks dull. I know niro finishes need special care, I'm hoping someone didn't use something they shouldn't have on it. Guitar is in excellent condition otherwise. Thanks for any help.

Howdy,

Gonna sound silly, but was told this by a good luthier and it works. I have used old clean white t-shirts, breathe onto a spot so that a bit of moisture is formed on a small patch of the guitar and then I immediately wiped it with the clean cloth. I continued working the same spot until all the goo came off. If this method won't work, sounds like might need a luthier to clean it. It may not need buffing, only a good professional cleaning.

Good luck!

See if you can find some Maguire's Scratch Remover.

Get the stuff that is found in the black bottle.

^^^^^^

Nope,NOT ON NITRO....

good for poly finish, and Plastic parts, Pick guards cavity covers ONLY.

Do your research before you post please.

This is the second time I have had to counter your bad advice.

To The OP,

If you feel confident enough I recommend Micro mesh pads.

http://www.woodcraft...touch-pads.aspx

I used these on a faded SG to bring a nice gloss up, also Check out my LPJ facelift thread,

you can see just how glossy a finish you can achieve with the proper us of these.

http://forum.gibson...._1#entry1205162

They work Dry or Wet, And for what you need to do, work through with the three finest grits.

This is IMPORTANT bit, LET THE PAD DO THE WORK, excess pressure causes heat,

The warmer the nitro gets the softer it will get, and at a point it will "Gum" But, if this happens go to the clean scrap t shirt, and buff with that to bring a finished luster.

Patients wins the day in this situation, take your time, work slow, and you can achieve a beautiful gloss with these, well worth the investment, I have two sets the large and small ones, it completely eliminates the need to have Rotten/Pumice stone, and are no where near as messy.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

In case this other stuff doesn't pan out, someone needs to say it.

Ask the original owner if he played shirtless alot. If moisture gets under the top coat, even a little bit, it will dull it just like you describe. If that is the case, all of the above products and methods will get you nothing but spots of bare wood on the back of yer sg, because you have to take it all the way down to fix it.

Good luck with it. I hope that's not why it was sold.

rct

Nope,NOT ON NITRO....

Are you referring specifically to Meguiar's Scratch-X 2.0? I've read some good things about it & have bought some for future use, but haven't tried it to date. Would love to hear from anyone who's actually applied it to a nitro finish.

Sinner, I don't know about not using ScratchX on nitro. It really works for me as it's for plastic, car paint lacquer and even recommended on a very touchy Rickenbacker CV finish (Conversion Varnish). I've never had it, or Nexus Red label rubbing compound and then ScratchX, cause any problems with Nitro Finishes to get out scratches or marks. As long as there's finish still there. That's the ticket.

The thing I'd try first is some good pure Naphtha on a soft white t-shirt material (no cuffs, collars or seams. Just the T-shirt cloth). See if it's body oils or something like that. Then I'd try something that was a rubbing compound.

When you spray lacquers, and the humidity isn't just okay (even with paint/finish retardant) you can get a fogging or hazing that you can buff out, but often it comes back again. It is possible it's a total flaw, but I'd be trying out the other attempts first before I thought that.

Try everything in as non-showing spot first on that finish. Maybe take off the TRC and try where that covers up the nitro finish there to start with.

Aster

Sinner,

I had a chance to look at your link's and I do like those Woodcraft micro-pads. I haven't had a chance to use the ultra fine stuff yet (above 4000) but want to do so and will order me some from them.

Great suggestion if it needs scratches out and have only heard good things about the process to get a beautiful gloss back.

Nice finish on the git too BTW!!!! [thumbup]

Aster

^^^^^^

Nope,NOT ON NITRO....

no dude, this DOES not work on plastic parts, at all

I've got 5 Gibson USAs, and NEVER had a problem.

Thanks, I just ordered the cleaner and polish for my new '61 Reissue.

I have the Gibson polish and a few Gibson yellow cotton cloths, but I want to try this polish too.

Does it apply just as easily?

I would not have to use the cleaner since this is a new guitar.

Yes.

The cleaner is for stuff that builds-up over time.

For more of a deep clean on the finish.

I don't see why it would be any harder to use than any other polish.

It works for me, and as I under stand it people have had good results.

I've never heard anything bad about Virtuoso.

Virtuoso_Comparison.jpg

Thanks, seems more like a cream than the spray that I have from Gibson.

Found a YouTube video of a guy using both the cleaner and the polish.

Someone needs to make a video with a Gibson electric too.

Well, I bought the Virtuoso cleaner and polish and man this stuff really works! It took out almost all the dullness off the back, maybe one faint spot that you would have to look at in bright direct light to see. It also made the rest of the guitar look amazing. I used two microfiber cloths, one for the cleaner and one for the polish. I paid about 25.00 with shipping from an Ebay seller and this stuff is well worth it. It even goes on and comes off easy!IMG_3868.jpgvIMG_3868.jpgIMG_3862.jpg

I think you will really like this stuff. I won't buy anything else for Gibson finishes.

I am glad amidst all the offerings you found something that works for you,

The end results came out amazing!

Well, I bought the Virtuoso cleaner and polish and man this stuff really works! It took out almost all the dullness off the back, maybe one faint spot that you would have to look at in bright direct light to see. It also made the rest of the guitar look amazing. I used two microfiber cloths, one for the cleaner and one for the polish. I paid about 25.00 with shipping from an Ebay seller and this stuff is well worth it. It even goes on and comes off easyIMG_3862.jpg

Looks great.

Virtuoso is good stuff.

• 1 year later...

I have the Dunlop cleaning system (Lemon oil for fretboard, polish for body, and string cleaner). The guitar polish doesn't do a thing for the faded parts of my SG Standard (Ebony).

The main body top near the lower cutaway, and the top area where you would attack the strings, along with the back, are "faded".

"Faded" is probably a bad word because it looks like more of what a hand-print would look like on top of the finish, so I guess "clouded" is better.

It looks like it needs to be cleaned off with some sort of cleaner, but of course, I came here to check out some options first, and found this thread.

has anyone tried this on the Ebony finish ?

Yes.

The cleaner is for stuff that builds-up over time.

For more of a deep clean on the finish.

I don't see why it would be any harder to use than any other polish.

It works for me, and as I under stand it people have had good results.

I've never heard anything bad about Virtuoso.

Virtuoso_Comparison.jpg

I have NO problem, with Virtuoso Cleaner or Polish! I use it, it's

great stuff, truly!!

BUT...this photo representation is somewhat bogus! [-X The "Before"

photos are at "flatter lighting" angles (minimize glare/gloss)...the

"after" photos, are at more oblique angles, to maximize glare/shine.

So, just keep that in mind, when you look at before and after "claims"

on finishing products.

CB

It's not meant to be a deceptive, bogus, "Your results will be exact" claim.

More like a quick example of what the product does based on pictures a private party posted.

The pictures aren't from a VIRTUOSO ad.

For what it's worth, here's what it does to a factory faded finish:(The angles may not be exact)

lpf004.jpg

vplp005.jpg

Archived