Gibson Brands Forums

SG Nitro Finish Dullness -Will It Buff Out?

mac75

Not doubting the product, at all...I use it! Just how the photos were

represented. And, I wasn't saying it was deliberate, either. But, I

see this kind of thing, all the time. So, it's good just to be "aware"

of such things. It often doesn't even occur to folks, that how a photo

is taken, or lit, can accentuate, or diminish the kind of "finish" look,

and/or perception. That's all... [tongue][biggrin]

CB

It's funny cos the fact that it dulls with use is exactly why I love nitro! I understand if you want to leave your own mark though. I had minor luck in the past with Turtlewax Carnauba and an old t-shirt, but I don't know the long-term effects as I only did this to sell the thing. [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

Glossy or not to be glossy, this is the question?

Being a little anal myself, I've got vintage guitars that I polished to be glossy...I liked the results. But now I wish I left it alone and just used naphta and kept the real aged patina.

I hated the stickiness of a nitro neck on all my new Gibson guitars. I used 600 grit sandpaper lightly on the neck...this worked great for me until the stickiness disappeared after a few years. What's ironic is that I liked the looks of the sanded necks, that I ended up sanding the gloss off the body...made it look a little similar to a faux patina.

I guess everybody has their preference as to the "looks" of their Gibsons.

I've used Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 (not x2.0) that has no silicone and then used carnauba wax to get glossy. Novus 2 on plastics to polish corian nuts, pickguard, and I've used it also on nitro. It contains minute amounts of silicone; but silicone can be wiped clean easily with wipes. I understand most polish contain silicone anyways, and if in small amounts (1%) it is not required to be listed... Only if the label claims "Silicone Free", then it has no silicone.

By the way, after over 46 years, I've never refinished my guitars...so I never care whether the polish had silicone content.

Archived