Gibson Brands Forums

Soapbar equipped '56 Gibson Les Paul reissue

rednefceleb

Hey players. My Night Hawk gets paid off next month. I got it from "Same Day Music". This online store allows people to buy an instrument for half down and payoff within 60 days. I would like to hear the opinion of any players who have owned an Epiphone '56 Goldtop Les Paul reissue. I want to work on one until it plays like it should. There are many manufacturers who make nice P-90 Soap Bars. I have found that after working my Hawk's frets & fret edges,& lubricating the ebony, these guitars improve as much as you have time to improve them. I find the weak point to be in the electronics. Are the Epi '56 L.P. Goldtop reissues worth buying as a project guitar? Peace: Rednefceleb.

I love my '56 GT, now that I have minis in it. I'm the wrong guy to ask about P90s, I hate 'em. Some guy love 'em, not me. I use too many pedals. I almost sold mine until I found out that minis drop right into the p90 route. I dropped some Gibson minis in her and I haven't looked back. I also put a set of Grove Vintage Green Keystones on her too, for aesthetics. I haven't changed out the pots, jack or switch yet. I figure once one of them causes a problem I'll do an overhaul. I think I'll get her out and show her some love.

Here she is:

GTwithGreenKeystones-fullfront.jpg

Hey players. My Night Hawk gets paid off next month. I got it from "Same Day Music". This online store allows people to buy an instrument for half down and payoff within 60 days. I would like to hear the opinion of any players who have owned an Epiphone '56 Goldtop Les Paul reissue. I want to work on one until it plays like it should. There are many manufacturers who make nice P-90 Soap Bars. I have found that after working my Hawk's frets & fret edges,& lubricating the ebony, these guitars improve as much as you have time to improve them. I find the weak point to be in the electronics. Are the Epi '56 L.P. Goldtop reissues worth buying as a project guitar? Peace: Rednefceleb.

These P-90 gold tops are pretty good as they come. The pickups could barely be improved. Others I have talked to that have changed out the pickups tell me they shouldn't have bothered. I like mine the way it is. Your opinion may be different and have at it if you want to try other pickups. The 56' Gold Top is a great guitar, if you get one you won't be disappointed I'm sure. Mine 56'is black, and, of course that doesn't affect the sound!

I have considered trying some mini humbuckers like a LP Deluxe comes with and they fit perfectly but the P-90's are tough to beat for tone.

I have an ebony '56 Epi LP and love it. The stock PU's are decent, although you'll get more depth, clarity, and definition by upgrading to high quality P-90's (which I did). If the bridge PU is a little thin and scooped (common P-90 comment) you can beef it up by swapping a magnet or two.

P-90's have two magnets, laying side-by-side, repelling. In the vast majority of P-90's, it's A5's (following Gibson's lead). A5's are bright and midscooped, so replacing one of them with an A8 will add mids and dial down the treble. In bridge P-90's I use these pairs: A8/A5, A8/A4 (a little warmer), A4/A4, and UOA5/UOA5 (for warm vintage tones). Unscrew the two baseplate screws, and push/slide one magent out halfway; hold the new mag next to it, so that the ends repel and sides attract, that's your orientation. Repeat the process if you want to change the other mag.

If your P-90's are a little noisy, you can add shielding by putting a piece of aluminum foil inside the plastic PU covers, and punching out holes for the pole pieces.

Thanks for the word on those mini Humbuckers dropping right into the existing routs. I need a guitar with P-90's to have that sound. If Benson winds my N'Hawk pups to my satisfaction, I will probably send him the P-90's. I want to help him get his pickups business more nationally known. I'm afraid to try GFS pickups. Since I'm an overdrive freak, I'll buy "GFS" "Greenie" dual overdrive pedal. They list their op amp as the RJC4558. GFS puts the "TS-9" circuit for the other side of their "dual" pedal. I never liked pedals with "all the sounds in the world" all-in-one pedal/pedal board.I've owned the TS-9 and used it a lot. Dual function pedals are coming in to their own. Rednefceleb.

Since I'm an overdrive freak, I'll buy "GFS" "Greenie" dual overdrive pedal. They list their op amp as the RJC4558. GFS puts the "TS-9" circuit for the other side of their "dual" pedal. I never liked pedals with "all the sounds in the world" all-in-one pedal/pedal board.I've owned the TS-9 and used it a lot. Dual function pedals are coming in to their own. Rednefceleb.

I just picked up the green twin overdrive pedal from GFS about two weeks ago, and I love it. I am very happy with the sound. Played my first live show with it last night, and it sounded mean! I've actually quit using the drive channel of my Blackstar Club 40 and just using the two channels on the pedal for my overdrive. I use a Pod HD500 in 4 cable method for my other effects, but my overdrive comes straight outta that big green box. 10/10 from me.

Archived