Gibson Brands Forums

SalesPeople/ PR People on this Forum

BluesKing777

BK,

I think this topic may be a little misleading. You seem to be posting it in response to a customer service representative from Musician's Friend/ Guitar Center reaching out to some of us in response to a thread here called "Guitar Center Sucks!", where some of us detailed problems we had had with one or both of these two related companies.

Personally, if a vendor recognizes he has a problem with a significant and influential chunk of his customer base, and is smart enough to realize that this situation needs to be fixed, I have no problem with him reaching out through this forum. I notice that he in no way tried to defend the company, but rather sought to fix some problems the best he can.

I work for a dealer. As far as I can remember, I have never contacted anyone on here in an unsolicited way. I try to be very careful about drawing that line. I originally joined when I bought my first Gibson acoustic and wanted to find a forum that had more information and enthusiasm than other forums I frequented. Over time, I have been more open about my job. It all started with me being a player and fan searching for knowledge though. I have had members come to me for purchases due to this forum. I appreciate that. I have had members comment on my services. I appreciate that as well. I always worry about stepping over that imaginary line though. I try to hold back. I hope I have done that in a way that I haven't lost the respect of any members. I hope no one here thinks I shouldn't be allowed. Though I have had some professional gain from this forum (very little, but appreciated none the less) I would lose much more on the personal side if it was decided that I shouldn't post here.

If your comment is in relation to the recent GC/MF postings..... Well, I don't personally care for that company but I think they are free to post here too. If those guys are genuine, then it will show in the long run. If they are not, and it is simply a ploy put on by higher ups, then that will show too. People here are smart, and forums tend to weed out the fake. They tend to embrace the honest.

Just my 2 cents.

BK,

I think this topic may be a little misleading. You seem to be posting it in response to a customer service representative from Musician's Friend/ Guitar Center reaching out to some of us in response to a thread here called "Guitar Center Sucks!", where some of us detailed problems we had had with one or both of these two related companies.

Personally, if a vendor recognizes he has a problem with a significant and influential chunk of his customer base, and is smart enough to realize that this situation needs to be fixed, I have no problem with him reaching out through this forum. I notice that he in no way tried to defend the company, but rather sought to fix some problems the best he can.

+ 1.

Musician's Friend representatives have been very helpful on the Epiphone forum lately, responding to both product/spec related questions and customer service issues. I think it's great. I'm glad they responded on this forum, too.

I would not want to see a company, luthier, etailer, or other seller, etc. aggressively marketing products or services. It's OK to get a heads up, or for us to discuss such things (as we do with Bob Colossi, etc.), but I would not want to see the forum topics turned into a series of ads (not that I think Gibson would allow that, anyway).

Red 333

If we're allowed to freely talk about a retailer/supplier/luthier they surely have the right to come on here to try to fix the problem especially when there's been a little trash-talking involved. I personally think that it's quite decent that reps from GC & MF have came on here to participate in a "GC Sucks" thread to address that.

Aggressive marketing on here would either be handled/removed by admin or most likely ridiculed a little and possibly with a counter-productive outcome. All shops no matter how revered will have their disgruntled cases, I myself am not all that thrilled with some recent handling of my case with one of the major EU supplier names. If I came here griping about it surely they deserve to be able respond if they feel my version doesn't align with theirs. In my case Gibson stepped up where my supplier wouldn't and while I'll remain a Gibson customer, any future purchases will not likely come from my previously preferred supplier.

yeah , apart from having a laugh the purpose of the forum is knowledge and learning . a bit of inside info .

i think its great to be part of this and a little bit of 'who you know' is a useful thing

there have been a few guys with problems with thier guitars that got sorted out very quickly and smoothly by having friends in here .

certainly dont want private messages from sales people or anything like it .but so far i have seen only help offered .

anyone who has been in bother on a bike knows that you help another biker . i have found musicians in the large to do the same ( 99% of the time anyway) , its a good thing and nice to see it

I think we often have a tendancy to forget that this is a forum put on and paid for by Gibson as opposed to we the poeple. So in a sense, what I might ultimately want and what I think we have a right to can sometimes be different.

In the end, what ever happens here should be a benifit to Gibson. I think the free-speech aspect of it here is that Gibson puts on this party for our benifit, as well as potential benifit to Gibson...we both gain.

Said that to say that looking at it from Gibson's point of view, they are closely linked to dealers and distributers. As freinds of Gibson, it doesn't make much sense for Gibson to extend this hospitality to to consumers at the exclusion of those they do direct business with. It also doesn't make sense for us the consumer. If any one of the three in this relationship is excluded from the freindship or community, we all loose.

As for the 'free speech' aspect, I think any person or entity should have a right to face thier accuser. If not, than I don't think it is fair to say something in the first place if that doesn't exist.

My PERSONAL opinion is while I think a dealer/salesperson should have the right to answer through THIS venue that they see a problem discovered on THIS venue, as with an individual and then do the PM thing to that individual though this system and make THAT public, I don't have much respect for it. If an accusation of bad service is made in public and they want to answer for it in public, then join the conversation. If you want to keep it behind closed doors, that is fine too.

I'm all for bringing what is in the dark into the light, but I don't respect doing so without without letting those being discussed into a discussion about it. That should go for any person or company.

You had a problem with a retailer and someone from the company reached out to help you. You have a problem with that?

Gibsons distribution network is a part of the Gibson customer service chain. if Gibson's suppliers can improve their business practices, that is good for Gibson and all of us.

It is not like someone from a rival manufacturer contacted you about how much better their guitars are than Gibson.

Of course they should be allowed here!

Should Sales/PR People be allowed?

Some of the original reasons for this type of forum is just like that - answers and problem resolution.

For me, if the presence/contact by a non-Gibson company representative is a response toward resolving a member's question or problem, then YES.

As long as those representatives and PR people are here to help out with any problems, I don't see any issues. It seems to me that they aren't sales reps, as much as they are customer service; trying to solve potential issues that someone may have directly had with the company. They aren't trying to sell anything or make anyone buy from their company, they just want to fix problems that any members of this forum already have post-purchase. I say more power to 'em!

Sorry, I voted no thinking you meant Martin and Taylor reps coming around trying to talk us into buying their guitars instead of Gibsons! But in relation to dealer reps ya I'm ok with that, especially if it were forum member-only special discounts etc!

I started the "guitar center sucks" thread complaining about the state of the Gibs at my local GC, and I was privately contacted by a rep from Gibson and a Guitar Center rep to try and rectify the situation. Very professional contacts from both actively seeking to remedy the situation, and not even pestering me to come back to the store to "give them another chance" or anything annoying like that. I was quite happy to be contacted in that way and look forward to hearing from them again.

I didn't vote on this but I don't have a problem with vendors responding directly to threads talking about them. Being a Gibson forum, it would seem to make more sense if the thread were Gibson related. Where I do have a bit of an issue, and an example is on The Lounge, is someone comments on some non Gibson product they bought. The maker of that product then commented on the thread. That's cool and many people like the product. What does bother me about this really long thread is that there are periodic updates from the maker of this product as to new models he is offering and it is his only involvement on the forum. Seems like that is just spam. The only ads I expect to see here are Gibson related and you have to go to Gibson.com if you want to find it.

This, like all forums, is a resource. I was glad I remembered that modoc_333 worked at a 5 Star from some thread I had read months before where someone mentioned he helped them find a guitar. I sought him out and bought a guitar from him. Worked out great but there was no solicitation from him. That's the way I think it should work.

I see nothing whatsoever wrong with a dealer responding after a complaint is aired here. I would find it somewhat daunting were I to get blasted overwhelmingly by Gibbie info, but I happily agreed to get some info.

As a longtime journalist I always tried to give the opportunity of response to those under attack. I've never been in a guitar center. I've been in a lotta guitar stores over the years, though, and sometimes even the same sales person seems to have made the switch from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. Sometimes I've walked out 'cuz it looked like I was about to be had. Other times I knew I was getting a rotten deal, but it was for something I wanted and couldn't get elsewhere...

Actually I'd have nothing against even a store rep or pickup manufacturer (no names mentioned here) offer services if I said I'd really like to have an "x" but had no way to figure how to get or get it economically.

The Epi forum has a GC sales type from Vegas who strikes me as somebody you'd like to do business with and might even like as a next door neighbor. I dunno.

I think being adult, fair and courteous is the "rule," and don't really mind much if somebody's in a business that might do some good for me or someone else here.

m

Well there you go!

So far:

26 Yes to 6 No (with an Asterisk????) and 1 Other?

I'm glad I put the 'Other' in the poll - the mind boggles....!

And here is me thinking PR people on this forum would be as popular as a turd in a swimming pool! Well, I admit to being flummoxed!

BluesKing777.

For the most part this is a captive Gibson audience but it is an open forum. I think that would be the heart of most peoples feelings... however I understand how you feel. Its kind of like our ATL Braves baseball announcer, he is actually a Cubs fan.... wish they would leave him in Chicago next trip. [crying]

Archived