Gibson Brands Forums

How Long To Keep a 71 SG?

Steve B

A kind soul at Gibson customer service suggested that the value of 70's Gibsons would go up, soon- of course he couldn't speculate as to when. As I play lefty, the 71 SG I have is not something I would play- can't just restring it, the bridge is mounted at an angle biased for wrong-handed (sorry, just had to do that!) players, and I am not going to re-drill it! So, it would sit around most of the time, occasionally played by a visitor but mostly just having the strings rust into uselessness...

Anybody wanna speculate as to how long I might have to keep it before it's value doubles, or better? Wondering if the risk of loss, damage, etc. plus the "cost of money" (i.e. is my money better parked elsewhere?) worth the wait, or should I sell it now (for fair market value, of course- you vultures can circle somewhere else)?

You realize your asking for investment advice on a public internet forum.. right? [cool]

I would not want to speculate on how long before it doubles in value, because I don't think it will, but that's my opinion only (hey, you asked for it).

Seems a shame to let a perfectly good guitar sit around and rot though. Personally I would sell it now and use the money to replace it with one I would enjoy (more). Life's short.

Back in 2007 I bought a 1971 SG Standard with lyre maestro tremolo, all original and in very good shape... I think I paid around $2600 for it and they are selling for around $4600 now. I'd say hang on to it. You have a good solid investment there and with wood getting more scarce the value is only going up. Not to mention 1971 was the last year the SG was made to the late 60's specs and has patent pending pupps... Sure you can sell it but I can't think of a better investment. What are banks paying now 1.5 percent? What a joke...! Here are some pics of mine. Good luck in what ever you do but think it through first...

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01779.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

Try and buy an all original 71 SG Standard with lyre tremolo for $1500 and you'll get one with a repaired or broken headstock, non original pupps, modified this or that, missing pupp covers, dismantled tremolo system or just plain beat to hell... This is what's on ebay now;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1971+Gibson+SG+Standard&_sacat=0

Try and buy an all original 71 SG Standard with lyre tremolo for $1500 and you'll get one with a repaired or broken headstock, non original pupps, modified this or that, missing pupp covers, dismantled tremolo system or just plain beat to hell... This is what's on ebay now;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1971+Gibson+SG+Standard&_sacat=0

I remember them, so I'm not in the market for one.

rct

A kind soul at Gibson customer service suggested that the value of 70's Gibsons would go up, soon- of course he couldn't speculate as to when. As I play lefty, the 71 SG I have is not something I would play- can't just restring it, the bridge is mounted at an angle biased for wrong-handed (sorry, just had to do that!) players, and I am not going to re-drill it! So, it would sit around most of the time, occasionally played by a visitor but mostly just having the strings rust into uselessness...

Anybody wanna speculate as to how long I might have to keep it before it's value doubles, or better? Wondering if the risk of loss, damage, etc. plus the "cost of money" (i.e. is my money better parked elsewhere?) worth the wait, or should I sell it now (for fair market value, of course- you vultures can circle somewhere else)?

Got any pics of it?

Please, Searcy, you can't compare an SG Deluxe to a SG Standard... That's like compairing a Sonex to a Les Paul... [-X

Did the OP say he had a perfect all original 71 SG Standard with lyre tremolo and original hard case? I missed that.

The only bad thing a new one won't be vintage.

A '71 is not "vintage" either, just "old".

A guitar does not become "vintage" by age alone. The term is very misused when describing guitars.

Hey Larry...

We're Vintage!!!!!!!!

<grin>

Actually the age of something may increase value at various times and somewhat decrease the value at other times and places. By the time various costs involved in transport, etc., are added, one wonders a lot about value until some credible person opens a wallet.

Pardon my cynicism.

But seriously, sometimes stuff is valued quite highly at one point in time and place, and barely a giveaway item at others. For example, I have a relatively current original of a guy who had been a rather popular Korean potter who did his craft in the old way. I'll wager one might be lucky to get a couple of bucks where I now live. In Seoul? I have no idea - but I'll wager that it might be worth a buck or less in one venue and easily into the hundreds in another - depending on current popularity.

Oh - and Formica and chrome kitchen tables from the 1950s are "vintage?" likely ain't gained all that much in value, yet they're quite likely quite functional and will remain so beyond most of our lives here. What are they worth? I dunno. What will they be worth in 25 or 50 years? I dunno.

To the real question, though, were it a piece you could play, I'd say "keep it" regardless. I've done that and 20 years later thanked my lucky stars. But since it ain't... I'd tend to say don't rush, bot see what you might be able to get for it to get a guitar you'd actually play.

m

Archived