Gibson Brands Forums

60's Gibson PAF humbucker?

MacGyverthedog

Hello, I've not much knowledge of Gibsons proper or their components but I recently purchased a Fender Mustang and found a humbucker in it. I didn't know what it was but thought it might be a Gibson due to the sticker (I've seen it before) so I've tried to do some research. I believe it may be an early 60's 'PAF' humbucker. I was looking for help 100% ID'ing it. Not sure if the wires and components are all original if it is in fact the 60's PAF.

Here's what I see so far:

-L-tooling marks are present

-Patent sticker looks original

-Copper-colored coil windings

-Square-in-circle holes

-What looks to be original tape around coils

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

So I'm pretty sure but that's all I know, and I know very little. [tongue] Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

On further study it might be a PAF with a pat. no. sticker.

google gibson guitar info. There is a lot of info there on PAF's and what guitars and years the came in.

If it has a patent number sticker on it, by definition it is not a PAF, even though it may be functionally identical. This one has had the cover removed as well.

There are detailed discussions on Gibson humbuckers of the 50's and 60's on Charlie Gelber's excellent website, es-335.org.

If it has a patent number sticker on it, by definition it is not a PAF, even though it may be functionally identical. This one has had the cover removed as well.

There are detailed discussions on Gibson humbuckers of the 50's and 60's on Charlie Gelber's excellent website, es-335.org.

Apparently, according to many sources they refer to Pat. Applied pickups as 'PAF'. The nickname stuck.

Thanks for the site suggestion!

Apparently, according to many sources they refer to Pat. Applied pickups as 'PAF'. The nickname stuck. {quote]

Yes, but once the "PAF" was issued a "patent number", it ceased to be a "PAF", and decreased in "perceived value" by about 90% for the exact same pickup.

That was the point of my original post. But reading a little more on the subject , the first pat. no were exactly the same. I did not mean His was a PAF but could possibly be exactly the same. Sorry for my confusing post .

That was the point of my original post. But reading a little more on the subject , the first pat. no were exactly the same. I did not mean His was a PAF but could possibly be exactly the same. Sorry for my confusing post .

They may well be exactly the same, but if you want to talk about value, that PAF sticker is worth about 1000 times its weight in gold. I have a pair of early patent numbers on a mid-60's ES 335-12, and they are absolute screamers. But without the PAF sticker, they are just another set of 60's patent number humbuckers. Once could be a $3000 pickup, and the other a $300 pickup.

The problem is that without disassembling an early patent number pickup, you can't be absolutely sure if it's identical to a PAF. And once you take the cover off the pickup, its provenance becomes questionable. It's a chicken and egg thing, and it explains why there is a substantial black market for fake PAF stickers.

• 1 year later...

The "Patent Number" decal was used from mid-1962 - 1975, even though the patent was actually granted back in July of 1959.

Which means that a pre mid-1962 humbucker should only show the stamp with the number of the tailepice patent on it, shouldn't it?

(i ask because i own such a pickup and would like to learn more about it).

• 2 weeks later...

Have a pair of PAF's from 1961 which Carlo Greco pretty much gave to us for a token amount on my birthday & put in the guitar he was making for me in 1989.

I didn't like the look of those rusty looking screws on that pristine guitar,so my brother unscrewed the originals and replaced them with new versions..

Looked much better... collectors value...I am not a collector... I am a musician ...and those suckers in that guitar is magic.

A sticker..being determinant of value can only flourish in a society that has been shorted of nutrition from too many processed foods for too long.

• 2 months later...

Archived