Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody get the new Rush album today?

rocketman

Not yet!

I listened to a few tunes from it (besides "Headlong Flight", "Caravan", and "BU2B", which were already pre-released) though.

Sounded awesome! A lot of variety there. One of em' sounds like a "sister song" to "Marathon" (from Power Windows), kinda like "Headlong Flight" to "Bastille Day".

It is a bit less heavy than the Rush I am used to, however (aside from "Headlong Flight") that is the nature of those guys: To evolve and make every record distinct in it's own way.

I don't really care for the sound PRODUCTION wise. But I don't care for the sound of today's records anyways. The only modern record that has my idea of a good production sound, interestingly enough, is KISS's Sonic Boom. I know for a fact that they used sound boards and tape decks rather than ProTools and such. Too bad the songs themselves didn't blow me away....

Rush needs Terry Brown back! I've always thought their records have lost something since Signals (1982), which was the last album Terry produced with them.

Production is important. I look at it this way: Us guitar players love tubes and analog, so why not approach recording that way? It may be a little bit harder (and more limiting in some cases), but last I checked, hard work pays off!

I pre-ordered mine so I'm going to have to wait a few days. So if you got it, what do you think?

I got if from iTunes the other day. (I've had the three singles for a while now tho, so I have had the teasers to listen to) Reminds me of Vapor Trails. Lots going on, complex vocal lines, (Geddy seems to be trying to save the pipes. more subdued vocal than previous albums). One observation so far, there seems to be at times, "disjointed" moments. But I gotta get used to it, A few songs I do like, The Garden is pretty nice, and different than anything I've heard in the last few albums. So far I think I took to snakes and arrows quicker, but we'll see.

/kb

Picked it up yesterday, and so far it's all thats been playing in my head since then! [thumbup]

I cant believe it, these guys are pushing 60 and their music is getting heavier!

I love the "Clockwork Angels" track and "The Anarchist", sounds cool, kind of that newer rock sound, but it sounds pretty darn awesome [biggrin]

Also love that bass line in "Seven Cities of Gold", totally sounds like Rush, but at the same time, it sounds like something like never before [confused] ... [scared] .. [woot]

I dunno...if it werent for the intros with ambient carnival music and such, I wouldve thought that the whole album was a super long prog rock song [flapper]

Cant wait to see Neil's drums for the tour, also cant wait to see them on the tour, always a treat to see them live [thumbup]

After many listens, this is growing on me. I had the first impression that this was a lot like Vapor Trails, well it is, and it isn't. Caravan and BU2B, somewhat are, the rest, not really.

I'm liking it more the more I hear it.

I just got Grace Under Pressure from a thrift store, very interesting sounding record. Very 80's!

Maybe cause' it came out in 84'?

I assume you already knew that.

Grace is a great album. Alex really put some great textures on those songs.

I also dig what the record is about. Both Grace and Power Windows are very powerful (no pun intended!) records.

Clockwork Angels has an interesting concept to it has well.

My drummer bought it and we were listening to it in the car today. Sounds good, but my drummer was saying he liked snakes and arrows better.

Snakes And Arrows is one the best ones since probably Moving Pics or Counter Parts. Give Clockwork Angels some time, it will grow on you.

I think the lil' ol' band from Canada is entering their next period......

Period I=Debut-All The World's A Stage (1974-1976. Led Zeppelin-type sounds. Minimal or no synthesizers)

Period II=A Farewell To Kings-Exit....Stage Left (1977-1981. More progressive. More synths.)

Period III=Signals-A Show Of Hands (1982-1989. Keyboards, mullets, rat tails, semi-Flock Of Seagulls haircuts, Rush monopoly, and heavily compressed and processed guitar sounds galore)

Period IV=Presto-Snakes And Arrows (1989-2007. Less synths, more acoustic guitars, more poppy)

Period V=Clockwork Angels---- (NOW! Pure awesomeness...)

Period I=Debut-All The World's A Stage (1974-1976. Led Zeppelin-type sounds. Minimal or no synthesizers)

Period II=A Farewell To Kings-Exit....Stage Left (1977-1981. More progressive. More synths.)

Period III=Signals-A Show Of Hands (1982-1989. Keyboards, mullets, rat tails, semi-Flock Of Seagulls haircuts, Rush monopoly, and heavily compressed and processed guitar sounds galore)

Period IV=Presto-Snakes And Arrows (1989-2007. Less synths, more acoustic guitars, more poppy)

you could be onto something K..

My daughter got the CD for me for Father's Day. Nice... Love it, especially Seven Cities of Gold.

BTW, anyone notice the time on the cover. 9:12 = 21:12 in military time. Pretty cool. Sad thing is my daughter asked me what the 9:12 meant, I said "I don't know", then a few seconds later she said, "Hey it's 2112 in military time". Pretty observant. Wish I'd figured that out first, LOL. [thumbup]

Nice Kaleb. I agree, except you could probably sneek a few songs from Snakes And Arrows into the last category.

Sadly, I lost track of them for most of Period III & IV up until Snakes And Arrows. Wasn't really getting into that stage of their music. Love the turnaround lately though... [thumbup]

Nice Kaleb. I agree, except you could probably sneek a few songs from Snakes And Arrows into the last category.

Sadly, I lost track of them for most of Period III & IV up until Snakes And Arrows. Wasn't really getting into that stage of their music. Love the turnaround lately though... [thumbup]

Yeah, Snakes & Arrows could fit with Clockwork Angels easily!

I love those periods. Even Hold Your Fire! Time Stand Still is a beautiful song. And I think Power Windows is the best album of Per. III.

Presto kind of threw me off a bit, but I just had to get used to it.

If I had to pick a favorite album from each period it would be:

Per I: Fly By Night

Per II: Hemispheres

Per III: Power Windows

Per IV: A Test For Echo

Per V: Clockwork Angels (so far!)

Archived