Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, I am begging for help...

heymisterk

Hi All,

The long and the short of it is, I am ready to throw my TASCAM DP-004 digital recorder through a window.

I know; I know: some of you told me so, and I should have listened. <_<

The bottom line is, no matter WHAT I do, I CANNOT transfer it into a file that will save on my computer, specifically on the downloaded Audacity software. When I plug it into my computer, it will PLAY it through the Audacity, and even SEEMS like it's saving it when I click "Save As" on my computer. But the MINUTE I disconnect, the track is GONE from my computer.

From the best I can tell, I am going everything right: converting the data into WAVE files and such. I have learned more about something called "FAT Partitions" than is healthy. I have also consulted the internet for advice, and while I seem to be able to convert the file on the TASCAM into a "readable" file for my computer, it simply WILL NOT save it... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

So, can anyone help me? I am so frustrated, I am ready to chuck the damn thing and go in search of recording equipment that goes right into my computer, as many of you suggested. But before I do that, I thought I'd try a Hail Mary pass; there are lots of tech-savvy people on this forum.

If anyone can help me, I will buy you a new Les Paul (t-shirt or pin...) [wink]

You can't save it as a stereo file I don't think, I think it has to be a left and a right mono wav and then combined later to make music out of it.

It is frustrating if you want to use computers for this stuff, I do understand. I have used my 2488 for about...7, 8 years now, I don't use computers, so I'm very happy with it. The TASCAM stuff wants to work without computers.

Go here: TASCAM forum where everybody knows how to do this stuff

Good luck with it.

rct

Thanks, rct. According to what I have read, I SHOULD be able to import the audio files onto my computer from the TASCAM, but I just can't seem to download even one track, stereo or no stereo. "Speaking TASCAM" seems to be an entirely different language! I posted my question on the forum you suggested; thanks again.

Just remember, there are lots of people that do not use computers in that room, me included. TASCAM/TEAC kinda caters to us, the old farts that used their porta studios long ago. So give it some time, you should be able to work out what you want to do, them guys can definitely help.

rct

Umm... If you can get it to input to Audacity, just click "record" on a new track(s) while it's playing and you'll have it! Take's longer than importing file wise but it should still be loss-less if your using a digital connection between the two devices.

Umm... If you can get it to input to Audacity, just click "record" on a new track(s) while it's playing and you'll have it! Take's longer than importing file wise but it should still be loss-less if your using a digital connection between the two devices.

Okay, where do you want that LP sent? [biggrin]

That seems to have done it! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones that elude us: I was looking for a way to "drag and drop" the track into Audacity; never occurred to me to just play the track through my TASCAM while the Audacity records it.

Many Thanks...

Jeff

Guest farnsbarns

That seems to have done it! Sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones that elude us: I was looking for a way to "drag and drop" the track into Audacity; never occurred to me to just play the track through my TASCAM while the Audacity records it.

Many Thanks...

Jeff

While that will work it will effect the quality. It sounds like what you were doing before was opening the file while it was still on the tascam . When you connect it to your computer does it behave like external storage? If so, copy the file to your computer first, then open it in your daw, you should then be able to save it and you won't degrade the quality.

While that will work it will effect the quality. It sounds like what you were doing before was opening the file while it was still on the tascam . When you connect it to your computer does it behave like external storage? If so, copy the file to your computer first, then open it in your daw, you should then be able to save it and you won't degrade the quality.

I tried that. I tried to download it into my Windows Media Player, but I got the same results as trying to play it through Audacity: just played - as you said - like it was an external file.

Guest farnsbarns

I tried that. I tried to download it into my Windows Media Player, but I got the same results as trying to play it through Audacity: just played - as you said - like it was an external file.

Ok, I can see where you're going wrong...

When you say you're downloading it into a program (ie, media player/your daw, etc) that doesn't really make sense, what you are doing us opening it but it is still on your tascam. You need to drag the file to a location on your pc, then open it from there, then you'll be able to edit it and save it.

Where you drag it to us up to you but I'd suggest creating a folder for your projects.

I'm not familiar with the TASCAM you are using and I'm only slightly familiar with the audio software but I do have experience with video equipment that has internal storage. Sometime (in my situation with video) the file would save as to the camera instead of on the computer. You've probably checked that already but I figured I would mention it...

Hi,

I have several TASCAM recorders, including a DP-004.

Are you EXPORTing your tracks on the DP-004? This is done under MENU button, WAVE option, then EXPORT TRACK (or EXPORT MASTER if you've done so).

When you do, the files are saved as standard .WAV files, in a folder on the SD Card named WAVE. You'll see this folder on the DP-004 SD Card when mounted on your PC or Mac.

You can drag these files to a folder on your hard drive. I have a folder in "My Documents" named DP-004, that i use just for this purpose.

Audacity can read these files straight away.

The key is to get them off the DP-004 memory card and onto your hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Don

Many Thanks...

Jeff

Well, if you have a bunch of spare Les Pauls and don't mind parting with one then ... Hell Yeah! I'll take one! LOLZ [biggrin]

Unless your using Window's NT (or older) the quality should be quite loss-less in a digital connection. But if you can tell the difference from 8 to 16 bit's your dam good, 8 to 24 is a nice leap in quality and would be noticeable but not 16 to 24. This is the biggest benefit of digital transfer's.

Archived