Gibson Brands Forums

Damaged My LP Custom Already!

ufboy73

well, like an idiot i was screwing around raising the tailpiece, without proper tools (because I am inept when it comes to anything with even a hint of mechanics to it) and ended up stripping/denting one of the large screws.

So, i have got a shiny new looking LP but a screw that has chrome exposed all over the top. I would like to replace this with another gold screw, particularly because I am assuming that since it is new now would be the opportune time to replace so that all the gold still matches before any wear sets in?

I have a couple of questions though that i am hoping you guys could help me with....please bear in mind though the previous statement about my being a complete novice at things like this:

1) can i buy just the screw? I cant seem to find it online - only entire tailpiece sections that would come with the screw i need

2) Is this the part that I would need for a LP custom? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Tailpiece-Stop-Bar-306101-i1128029.gc

3) How do you guys make adjustments via the screws without damaging them? the metal seemed really soft. Either i need a screwdriver that had a width to cover the whole screw (and applies equal pressure across the whole screw) or maybe wrap the screwdriver in some sort of 'padding' (i.e. rag) or something?

4) Assuming i get the screw/part i need, how hard is the replacement going to be? Take the strings off, unscrew the existing tailpiece, put the new one (or replace the screw with the old one) but how do i get it to the exact height that it is at now? Should I just take it somewhere and let a pro do it?

Any input would be great on this. It obviously doesnt affect playability but it hurts every time i see one shiny gold screw and the other that has almost completely flaked off.

thanks

first, never do it with the strings tuned up. always slack. at that point you can probably just turn it by hand. if you can't b/c it has been cranked down hard then it's not bad to have this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/1/Tune-o-Medic_Bridge_and_Tailpiece_Tools/Pictures.html#details however, i have also found that a normal american half-dollar fits the slot perfectly. the plating is small, so you need a perfect fit.

And prior to any more tinkering. Please post first' date=' you will have an answer within the hour usually.

ps: don't listen to :oilpit:[/quote']

+1 always do the opposite of what oilpit says. And ignore anyone with a clown avatar or a name that includes the word "flick"

One of my kids' toys came with some rudimentary tools for assembly (I think it was a bicycle that hooks up to a computer game on the TV) that included a nifty flat bar with a right angle on the end - it works beautifully on stop tailpiece studs. Don't be afraid to improvise but make sure you've protected yourself and the guitar top. A coin is probably the best advice since it's hard to apply too much force with it.

As far as a replacement goes, if you're unable to buy just one post, then think about Tone Pros locking tailpiece studs ( http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpiece_parts/TonePros_Locking_Studs.html ) which will allow you to lock down the tailpiece so it won't fall off if you take off all the strings to clean the fretboard. It's also said to increase sustain.

As a side note, I learned a log time ago that slotted screws equal finish damage, to the screw and the guitar finish.

Make yourself a guard to use around screws to protect the finish on the guitar. I use and old scrap of pick guard material, with some stick on felt on the bottom. It has some irregular shapes cut out, that allow it to fit around most areas where adjustments are needed.

The coin trick does work great, if you can't get the correct specialty tool.

You don't want to learn this stuff the hard way, especially with a new Gibson.

thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys. I will definitely post here before even thinking about screwing around anymore with the guitar.

i wonder, is there a 'standard' height that the tailpiece should be set at once i get replacement screws? I wouldnt want it impacting the action that i already have or anything like that.

Archived