Gibson Brands Forums

David Gilmour - How he gets his sound

Rabs

Great player but always a lousy interview. I always wanna reach down his throat and pull the words out. lol

Yeah hes always been liked that.. not really the interview type... But I still find it interesting to watch

That man changes his guitar specs like they were made out of Lego blocks. It'd be very hard to replicate his instruments, but really, the tone is in his technique, anyway.

Like echo and delay? Some tone comes from the players fingers, some tone can be nailed down to obvious effects and pick up choices.

I mean, sure his vibrato and pick attack are from the fingers, but double tracking, echo, and rolling the tone back on the bridge pick up are NOT in anyone's fingers. Perhaps it's the difference between tone and timbre, but believe me, if you were in the studio with his engineer and his guitar you could replicate his guitar tone. Just ask the "Australian Pink Floyd", they seem to be able to nail that stuff. So does Roger Waters guitarist Dave Kilminster.

Such amazing touch and sense of melody. His leads would rival any vocal line for their hook and fluidity.

And vocal lines that can rival any guitar lines. Gilmour is sometimes over looked as a singer and songwriter, simply because he's such a phenomenally melodic guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfxB0y4ZVI

Plus he was hot as hell in the 70's. [love]

Videos like this send me on Youtube excursions that could last for days. I've been watching all kinds of roger Waters and Davis Gilmore interviews since this thread was posted.

Thanks [thumbup]

No worries.. I also sit there for hours sometimes following the suggested video links.. Its amazing whats on there. Im so glad too. Imagine without places like Youtube how much rare and deleted stuff would have just dissapeared without it..... ALL PRAISE YOUTUBE [-o<[flapper]

And just sometimes I see something so amazing I just have to share :) [thumbup]

I now feel compelled to post this again.. this is a real gem

Gilmour has been my number one influence since I started playing. The ability to take a fairly simple idea and make it so melodically powerful is just a unique talent.

I personally like to shape tone with the amp and he prefers to shape tone with pedals into a pure clean amp but I'm a no-name and he's David Gilmour so who wins that argument?

I can get pretty spot on close to his tone with my Renegade and just a little modulation and delay in the loop though.

But the fact he's one of the artists where I am trying to get "his tone" is representative of something . . .

Good stuff!

Gilmour has been my number one influence since I started playing. The ability to take a fairly simple idea and make it so melodically powerful is just a unique talent.

I personally like to shape tone with the amp and he prefers to shape tone with pedals into a pure clean amp but I'm a no-name and he's David Gilmour so who wins that argument?

I can get pretty spot on close to his tone with my Renegade and just a little modulation and delay in the loop though.

But the fact he's one of the artists where I am trying to get "his tone" is representative of something . . .

Good stuff!

Ahh but thats what I really like about the above clip... Apart from the beginning with the synth effects, ist just him and an acoustic guitar, no effects, no tricks.. and hes still awesome :)

Archived