Gibson Brands Forums

Montana TOur ( part 1 and 2)

JuanCarlosVejar

I've just looked at the first two, which are excellent. What strikes me is the amount of precision machine work, as well as all the very clever hold-down and alignment jigs.

Someone has thought the production processes through very well.

Seeing that degree of automated machine work, I understand the high level of assembly consistency you can and should expect. The real variable here should be wood differences. Despite the general care with which wood is chosen and assembled, wood is an organic material, and I assume that by sheer luck, some guitars are going to get some magic combination of woods that work together to produce a great guitar.

I wonder how much extra care is put into wood selection and details such as top tuning when you order a custom guitar? Obviously it would slow down the production process somewhat, but I suspect the additiobnal time required would be pretty small as long as you stuck to fairly standard specifications.

Ren said in one of these videos that he believes Gibson is producing the best acoustic guitars they have ever built. I suspect he is right, especially when it comes to consistency.

If you want a hand-built guitar, with all that is good and bad associated with that, I understand why companies such as Lowden have appeal. For absolute bang for the buck, it may be hard to beat a Gibson, however.

Thanks JuanCarlos for posting these videos!

I have watched the series and enjoyed them a lot.

I have accumulated a herd of Gibsons over the last couple of years and one thing that intrigues me that a video of guitar production doesn't illustrate: How is the Gibson sound instilled/designed into each Gibson?

When I tried out my 1954 Gibson ES125 at the pawn shop, one of the first things that occurred to me was: "This guitar sounds a lot like my Gibson Blues King!" How can that be when there is not one single part/timber/anything the same in either guitar. The neck felt the same as my LG3, but that is physical thing...

Does Gibson have a little can of Gibson magic sound dust that is sprayed on in the finishing booth?

BluesKing777.

Its the Gibson fairy dust BK ...closely guarded secret stored deep inside Bozemans dungeons below the factory ..

Thanks JuanCarlos for posting these videos!

I have watched the series and enjoyed them a lot.

I have accumulated a herd of Gibsons over the last couple of years and one thing that intrigues me that a video of guitar production doesn't illustrate: How is the Gibson sound instilled/designed into each Gibson?

When I tried out my 1954 Gibson ES125 at the pawn shop, one of the first things that occurred to me was: "This guitar sounds a lot like my Gibson Blues King!" How can that be when there is not one single part/timber/anything the same in either guitar. The neck felt the same as my LG3, but that is physical thing...

Does Gibson have a little can of Gibson magic sound dust that is sprayed on in the finishing booth?

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the post JC! These videos are excellent. As Ren takes us through the various steps, I'm thinking of the Gibson I now own and what I've had in the past imagining them going through the building process. These videos gave me a real charge.

Watched all 8 of this series. Wow! This gave me a whole new appreciation for my Gibson Acoustics. This should be 'required reading' for those here who have questions on the technical aspects of their guitars. I think I have a better understanding of why the prices are high to start with and stay high in the resale market. I think I even got some insight on the distinctive Gibson Tone in #5 (6:10) and in #6. Thanks JCV for the links!

Watched all 8 of this series. Wow! This gave me a whole new appreciation for my Gibson Acoustics. This should be 'required reading' for those here who have questions on the technical aspects of their guitars. I think I have a better understanding of why the prices are high to start with and stay high in the resale market. I think I even got some insight on the distinctive Gibson Tone in #5 (6:10) and in #6. Thanks JCV for the links!

40years ,

no problem =D . glad you enjoyed it .

my pleasure sharing it

JC

Archived