Gibson Brands Forums

mic stands , all the same?

blindboygrunt

am being allowed to pick presents for my birthday . wanting to upgrade a few things

using cheapo mic stands that came with our littlle PA system

any sense in spending 40-50 pounds on for example K&M or hercules ones ?

just used for occassional pub / club gigs , not recording studio £200 stuff

cheers

Yes, K & M. Good equipment. However, keep in mind that if you do take care of the cheap stands, they very well will last you a long time. Just have to be extra careful with more plastic parts. Certainly won't last as long as a K & M stand that is taken care of, but it might surprise you. I've got a K & M mic stand that still has the price tag hanging from it. Had about three years now. My two cheap ones (about $20 each) are still fine, so haven't had to get the good one out of my car. ...... But when you do decide to invest in some better equipment, K& M is pretty darn good.

Yes, K & M. Good equipment. However, keep in mind that if you do take care of the cheap stands, they very well will last you a long time. Just have to be extra careful with more plastic parts. Certainly won't last as long as a K & M stand that is taken care of, but it might surprise you. I've got a K & M mic stand that still has the price tag hanging from it. Had about three years now. My two cheap ones (about $20 each) are still fine, so haven't had to get the good one out of my car. ...... But when you do decide to invest in some better equipment, K& M is pretty darn good.

yeah , thanks guys , the cheapy ones we use serve their purpose ok , maybe a bit more balance would be good when the boom is extended , and the little connecting washer things forever go wobbly .

as far as holding a mic in front of your face it does its job , but i was just wondering if it would be one of those 'why didnt i buy one of these expensive ones years ago !' moments ? as opposed to 'this is just the same as the cheap one!' moments

I bought two cheap ones from musiciansfriend.com, $20/each, and if you extend the boom with a mic in place, it would tip over. Totally useless for when you are sitting on a stool, playing a keyboard and the boom has to be extended all the way, coming at you from the side. Just too lightweight. I sent them back.

I used a couple cheapo ones and they both good their knickers in a twist so we bought a couple hercules stands and its all been plain sailing. Given all the things that can go wrong when playing live its Worth the extra cash for at least having this off the table.

never heard of atlas

I'm sorry to hear that. As Atlas is a St. Louis company, and was THE name in microphone and speakers stands (and many other "commercial" sound application products) for MANY, MANY years, it's somewhat disappointing to think that anybody associated in the guitar/band business is not familiar with Atlas-Soundolier, and at least some of their products. I'd bet you have used, or seen, their products, but just didn't know it.

I guess it's just another example of an old-line company that has been left by the wayside by the "global economy".

I'm sorry to hear that. As Atlas is a St. Louis company, and was THE name in microphone and speakers stands (and many other "commercial" sound application products) for MANY, MANY years, it's somewhat disappointing to think that anybody associated in the guitar/band business is not familiar with Atlas-Soundolier, and at least some of their products. I'd bet you have used, or seen, their products, but just didn't know it.

I guess it's just another example of an old-line company that has been left by the wayside by the "global economy".

Yes, Atlas was definitely THE name in mike stands - and they'll last forever - I have an Atlas with a K&M boom...

Archived