Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio Truss Rod Issues

Brian D123

The truss rod on my 2002 LP Studio seemed to be working (after testing the string height at the 12th fret I found that the string was touching the fret). I turned it slightly and the height began to increase, which is what I wanted. It's a bit hard to explain but, essentially the part of the rod that I was turning continued to do so but the rod itself stayed stationary. It's like a nut being screwed off of a bolt. Am I missing something here? I can't imagine that the rod is broken or anything like that since this is the first time in 10 years I have tried to adjust it (I'm the original owner). Needless to say I am currently leaving it alone. Any advice would be great.

If you "loosen" the truss rod nut and it added relief, then your truss rod is working. That's good. On Gibson guitars, the truss rod is simply a long threaded metal rod with a washer and a brass nut on one end.....the end you adjust. Obviously, only so much relief will be gained by loosening the nut, as the neck was built STRAIGHT and the truss rod simply counteracts string tension. If you continue to loosen the nut passed where the last bit of relief is gained, the nut will simply come right off, like you said, just like a nut coming off of a bolt. :) Sounds to me that your guitar is 100% fine.

I know it's bad to have your truss too tight. Can it create problems if it is too loose? I was having buzzing issues, then I loosened the truss to the point where the nut became loose. I have since only tightened it enough to keep it the nut tight on the rod. The relief is much better (less buzz but still a little on the big E string between the 1st and 7th fret). Other than that all notes seem to respond correctly. At the 12th fret (big E) the distance between the fret and the string is slightly less than the thickness of a nickle, It's my understanding that this is fairly typical. I guess I'm just trying to alleviate buzzing issues, as I've had them with several other LPs in the past. Any thoughts on this? Thanks ya'll.

maybe your frets have raised up, or are not level.

There is more to a buzz than just a TR adjustment.

you need a very straight edge that will cover ONLY 3 frets at a time and put that straight edge device on the frets and check for rocking between the 3 frets which will show you which fret is high.

I know it's bad to have your truss too tight. Can it create problems if it is too loose? I was having buzzing issues, then I loosened the truss to the point where the nut became loose. I have since only tightened it enough to keep it the nut tight on the rod. The relief is much better (less buzz but still a little on the big E string between the 1st and 7th fret). Other than that all notes seem to respond correctly. At the 12th fret (big E) the distance between the fret and the string is slightly less than the thickness of a nickle, It's my understanding that this is fairly typical. I guess I'm just trying to alleviate buzzing issues, as I've had them with several other LPs in the past. Any thoughts on this? Thanks ya'll.

I think a person asking these kinds of questions about adjusting the neck on a Les Paul should not be adjusting the neck on a Les Paul until they at least spend 30 bucks on a good book about guitarmangling.

rct

Look rtc,

I'm not going to damage anything. These are simply questions I'm asking to get information. Is that not what forums are for?

Yes, it is. I'm giving you information. Read up on how to set up a neck before you start tweaking truss rod. There is a pretty well documented way to set up a neck that you can read about and then have very few questions to ask about the whole thing. The point is, the time to ask questions about tweakin up the neck on yer good guitars is before you start tweakin up the neck.

You can damage something. That would be information that would be good to have before you start doing that stuff.

rct

, essentially the part of the rod that I was turning continued to do so but the rod itself stayed stationary. It's like a nut being screwed off of a bolt. Am I missing something here?

Right here shows us that you didn't know what you were doing before you tried to adjusted something.

yes you can damage the truss rod and the neck.

Even Customer Service suggested politely that you leave it to a professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeo75UdqvVI

Whoa!! You don't adjust the truss rod to change the height of the strings. It's more complicated than that. You don't want to touch the trussrod unless you have to.

Here's how Gibson - Memphis does the final setup on their instruments. Its a post from Dave at Gibson:

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64" (I think the 3/64" is a typo, it should be 3/32") , neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

you need to have it checked out

my rhythm guitarist EPI LP Custom does have a truss rod issue where (on a set of 10's) only a slight relief is available so the tone is dampened by the fret buzzing. Truss rod is completely slack with no more relief available

unfortunately the guitar has to be returned, i could put a set of 11's on there but that just masks the issue and means she will have to play a heavier gauge that she doesn't want to do.

take it to a repairman and let him have it checked out, as said above it could just be a nut that has worn the slots too low, raised frets or something along those lines, I certainly cant diagnose without having it infront of me

Archived