Gibson Brands Forums

LG1 Reprise

fortyearspickn

Bought an LG1 new in '64. Gave it to my youngest son 3 years ago. Thought I'd get the plastic bridge replaced with wood for him - although he doesn't play and hasn't touched it - so he'd have a better guitar. It's otherwise in perfect albeit vintage condition. So, I thought I'd plink on it a bit last night before taking it in to get fixed. I'd been playing only an SJ200 and H'bird TV for the past three years, so I expected a different sound. Wow, what a difference! I had gotten tired and jaded over the past years just having the LG1. So, my ears wanted a different sound - starting with the maple b/s. But now hearing the LGI again, I'm kicking myself hard for handing over the inheritance before they had to pry it from my cold, dead hands. My point here is that it amazed me that you get an acquired taste, then you un-acquire it, but then you don't have to spend more than 5 minutes re-acquiring it. So, GAS is eternal!

Ain't it the truth! I've been in the middle of a mad affair with my L-OO Legend for the last couple of months. Then I pulled out my old J-45 two nights ago and fell in love with it all over again.

What's a boy to do? I feel like such a guitar ****.

So little time; so many guitars to love.....

So little time; so many guitars to love.....

Ha!

I tried a J45 Legend the other week and it was great. Unfortunately they don't sell many L-00 size guitars here, so they mainly have dreads at the Gibson dealer. You were pretty lucky to grab that one as it went by! Don't let it slip behind.............

As for the original post, my old 1952 LG1 is unbeatable for bottleneck in open D tuning! It is alive!

BluesKing777.

I have always been surrounded by both bottom of the food chain and as good as it gets guitars. They are all over the place ranging from an el cheapo mail order catalog mid-1930s Kay Kraft to a 1960

J-200. Sandwiched in between are a 1947 LG-2, 1956 Epiphone flattop, and 1932 National Duolian. I never tire of any of them and love them all.

Ok, so why can't we just have A guitar? When someone asks, we just say 'yeah, I have A guitar'. But no, we have a slope shoulder, a ladder braced, a lap steel, archtop, new, old, shiny, beater, and everything in between. We must all be mental. Happy to be.

Ok, so why can't we just have A guitar? When someone asks, we just say 'yeah, I have A guitar'. But no, we have a slope shoulder, a ladder braced, a lap steel, archtop, new, old, shiny, beater, and everything in between. We must all be mental. Happy to be.

URGENT!!!!!!!!

Can someone on this forum come up with a nice standard line for us with multiple crusty ole guitars to memorise and imprint on our minds to state (and preferably still sound mildly intelligent) when asked why indeed we need more than one guitar and we fumble and grunt through a few thin and unconvincing answers?

BluesKing777.

URGENT!!!!!!!!

Can someone on this forum come up with a nice standard line for us with multiple crusty ole guitars to memorise and imprint on our minds to state (and preferably still sound mildly intelligent) when asked why indeed we need more than one guitar and we fumble and grunt through a few thin and unconvincing answers?

BluesKing777.

Snarky answer to a spouse/partner: "It sublimates my primal need for more than one (man)(woman)."

To a young child: "Do you have only one toy?"

To an older child/teen: "Because I'm a grownup and I can do what I want."

To anyone else: "Because they are there..."

[sneaky]

For me it's just like "Why do you go climb in those mountains?"

The answer to both obviously is:

"Because they are there!"

Was working on this before AnneS got her's posted. Didn't mean to dup.

My fav. would be the Harley saying on why you like to ride them:

"If I Have to Explain, You Wouldn't Understand"

Would either of those work?

Aster

I was surprised that my wife, who's axed me "just how many guitars do you have now?", before came up with a good one liner too. With me being a long time sales professional she's learned the technique I always seem to use of answering a question w/ a question:

"Why do you need more than one pair of underwear?"

That's pretty good too. "Cuz you need a change!!"

YeeeHaww. Guess I'd better order me up a Hummingbird for Fathers day this week end and I'll say, I needed some new underwear! :rolleyes:

Ya think that'll work?

Aster

YeeeHaww. Guess I'd better order me up a Hummingbird for Fathers day this week end and I'll say, I needed some new underwear! :rolleyes:

Ya think that'll work?

Aster

It's worth a try, but make sure there is a return policy in case your wife spies it and tries to make you wear it as a pair of underwear or a hat, if you get my drift. It wouldn't be good either for you or for the guitar. [biggrin]

It's worth a try, but make sure there is a return policy in case your wife spies it and tries to make you wear it as a pair of underwear or a hat, if you get my drift. It wouldn't be good either for you or for the guitar. [biggrin]

To get a Bird to go along with my Dove I'd wear the Gibson polish cloth as a do-rag or like a colorful loin cloth I think. [biggrin]

Aster

Since it seems wives are the ones most often needing an explanations: "I had to work my way through many women before I found you and knew my search was over. I hope someday soon - I'll find a guitar as perfect as you!" (highly risky - but great potential)

Since it seems wives are the ones most often needing an explanations: "I had to work my way through many women before I found you and knew my search was over. I hope someday soon - I'll find a guitar as perfect as you!" (highly risky - but great potential)

That one could be the winner, but keep them coming and sorry to steal the thread....!

You are not a politician, are you, 40YP?

I am going to memorise that.

BluesKing777.

Archived