Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Dub-T-123

bluesguitar65

Hey Dubs,

I'm building another fuzz face and ordered a couple of matched germanium transistors. They were supplied with a set of resistors to set the Q2 collector to 4.5v. Since, I will be using a 10k trimpot to adjust bias of Q2, do I still need to use the resistors that small bear supplied with these transistors? Are the purpose of these resistors soley for volatage adjustment or its for tone purposes also, fuzz characteristics?

Thanks,

In short, no you don't need the resistor for Q2 if you're going to use a trimpot to bias it.

When you use a pot to set the bias, you're wiring it (or the circuit board is wiring it) as a variable resistor. So you can dial it in to the same resistance as the resistor supplied by smallbear and it will give you the same result, or you can tweak it to your liking.

Also, if you like the sounds that you get in different positions on the trimpot, you could easily wire up a regular pot so that you can control the bias without opening up the box.

You could even wire up a DPDT switch with smallbear's resistor on one side and a pot on the other (you only need two lugs of the pot to use it as a variable resistor), that way you can toggle between a perfect bias and maybe an underbiased setting with the pot for some sputtery sounds.

Glad you asked this question. I'm in the same boat with the GGG four knob fuzz face. Now I'll just dial up 4.5 volts on the silicon trannies and be ready to pop in the germanium when they arrive int he mail! [thumbup]

Glad you asked this question. I'm in the same boat with the GGG four knob fuzz face. Now I'll just dial up 4.5 volts on the silicon trannies and be ready to pop in the germanium when they arrive int he mail! [thumbup]

What kindof germaniums are you gonna use?

Also did you ever get that PigeonFx Rangemaster kit?

They thanks alot Dubs!!! Your the man!! I'll post some pics and clips of what I've done so far....built several versions of the fuzz face and tone bender..

No problem! Have you thought about making a MKI.5 Tonebender? It's a two transistor fuzz that's really similar to a Fuzz Face but with the midrange of a Tonebender.

What kindof germaniums are you gonna use?

Also did you ever get that PigeonFx Rangemaster kit?

I ordered Small Bear's "All American" set - which will be new old stock 2N???? (whatever they have I guess).

And no, the Piegon FX kit is AWOL still! Glad it was only $15.

edit: it was 15GBP - so $24. I'm going to email them today.

Ah, 2N404 and 2N404A are awesome for Fuzz Faces. Maybe you'll get some of those.

Hope so. I'll try the GE out when they arrive next week. I just finished it up and it sounds great already with the provided silicon trannies. [thumbup]

I ordered Small Bear's "All American" set - which will be new old stock 2N???? (whatever they have I guess).

And no, the Piegon FX kit is AWOL still! Glad it was only $15.

edit: it was 15GBP - so $24. I'm going to email them today.

That's the same tranny set I ordered from them...for $15.00. They sound great!!! Yes, they are 2n404 trannys. Also, AMZ has a couple of AC128 for $12.00. I've placed an order for those as well.

That's the same tranny set I ordered from them...for $15.00. They sound great!!! Yes, they are 2n404 trannys. Also, AMZ has a couple of AC128 for $12.00. I've placed an order for those as well.

[thumbup] Awesome. Let me know if you like the AC128s better.

Archived