Gibson Brands Forums

I hate this guitar

57classic

Last year I decided I needed a beater to take to the waterfront or camping. Taylor came out with the GS mini. They are really good at promoting a new product. I watched lots of videos of people playing them and with each passing video I became more excited and convinced that it was the guitar for me! I played it a couple of times. Reinforced by the videos and online reviews (none of us are swayed by those, right?) I had to have one. Didn't want to spend $500.00 for it so I looked on CL and found a guy selling one locally that was in new condition for $375.00. I ended up buying it. I had a great time all last summer and fall with it.

Fast forward to this spring...(MInd you, though I had a SWD last year, ya know rosewood blah blah) I bought a J45 Custom this spring. It is a really rich sound with commanding bass. So, I take out my Taylor to play and I'm aghast [scared]. It sounds aweful! Taylors are pretty thin sounding in the first place and this is small bodied. It's a fun guitar to play because of the size but the lack of any bottom is driving me nuts. It's probably more due to the comparison to the J45 but I need to find a different guitar.

Anyone else ever fell out of love/lust with a guitar?

Well I guess that would be with the SWD ... but, as I still have not sold it I tried it with the 80/20 strings that came stock on the HB TV, which just didnt not suit the Bird, but Im finding they suit the SWD perfectly. The muddiness is gone and and there is quite a nice lushness with good note seperation. So Im giving the SWD a stay of execution to see if my attitude and play time changes over the next few weeks.

But, I have to say I like the GS Mini, thought about buying it also but then got the 00-15, with which Im very happhy with. The one i played had a pretty decent bass response and sounded very dry and woody, not so much like a Taylor.

Maybe I just like a big bottom [blush] . The SWD wasn't nearly as boomy (which I like) as the J45. The difference now is so dramatic. It's strung with mediums now. I wonder if I replaced the top 3 strings with heavy...hmm

Sort of, once, but not an acoustic. With hindsight I wasn't in love with it at all; I picked her up on the rebound from my (non-amicable) break-up with a Norlin-era Les Paul Custom in the early '80s.

It was a Music Man Sabre II and it took me a while to realise we weren't quite the 'match made in Heaven' as I'd first thought. I came to hate it - especially the active circuitry.

P.

I don't think it is possible for me to hate any guitar but I sure do run across alot of them that don't work for me. I have, as example, never played a Taylor I would take home. Too bright sounding for my taste although I actually prefer the sound of their cheaper import guitars to the made in the U.S.A. models.

You have to accept every guitar for the voice it has. You can change saddles, nuts and strings but in the end the character of that guitar will still shine through. The only time it is fair to compare one guitar to another is when you are out on the hunt for a guitar in a given price range.

I spent part of yesterday playing an all birch 1960s Fender-badged Harmony. Did it sound like a Martin 00-18. Not quite. But I did not expect it to and still had a whole lotta fun playing that guitar. If I was i the mood to aquire another el cheapo guitar this one would have come home with me. But I am in a guitar diet these days so have to try and exert a little self control.

Interesting you say that, I persoally found my SWD very boomy, almost too boomy, thats why the 80/20's seems to cut back on the boom somewhat and bring more balance. But theyre all individual creatures, arent they .. :-)

Maybe I just like a big bottom [blush] . The SWD wasn't nearly as boomy (which I like) as the J45. The difference now is so dramatic. It's strung with mediums now. I wonder if I replaced the top 3 strings with heavy...hmm

Interesting you say that, I persoally found my SWD very boomy, almost too boomy, thats why the 80/20's seems to cut back on the boom somewhat and bring more balance. But theyre all individual creatures, arent they .. :-)

Prior to the SWD, I had a Taylor 814ce. Though rosewood, still comparatively little bass. I used 80/20 on it. I thought 80/20 on the SWD sucked the life right out of the guitar. Went back to PB

Well that was my first experience with 80/20's also, about a year ago. Thought they sucked the life out of the guitar (same with Eixir PB's) but these 80/20's seem to retain the 'integrity' of the SWD but still providing sparkle, power and balance. Im guessing they are Daddarion 80/20's that came with the Brid, anybody can confirm this ?

Prior to the SWD, I had a Taylor 814ce. Though rosewood, still comparatively little bass. I used 80/20 on it. I thought 80/20 on the SWD sucked the life right out of the guitar. Went back to PB

I would put it aside for a bit and then one day, when the humidity is a bit lower than normal, put a set of new strings on it and play it in a spot with good acoustics (like a tiled bathroom). If you still can't get with it your tastes may have moved on.

I would put it aside for a bit and then one day, when the humidity is a bit lower than normal, put a set of new strings on it and play it in a spot with good acoustics (like a tiled bathroom). If you still can't get with it your tastes may have moved on.

Good idea, think I'll give it a whirl

Last year I decided I needed a beater to take to the waterfront or camping. Taylor came out with the GS mini. They are really good at promoting a new product. I watched lots of videos of people playing them and with each passing video I became more excited and convinced that it was the guitar for me! I played it a couple of times. Reinforced by the videos and online reviews (none of us are swayed by those, right?) I had to have one. Didn't want to spend $500.00 for it so I looked on CL and found a guy selling one locally that was in new condition for $375.00. I ended up buying it. I had a great time all last summer and fall with it.

Fast forward to this spring...(MInd you, though I had a SWD last year, ya know rosewood blah blah) I bought a J45 Custom this spring. It is a really rich sound with commanding bass. So, I take out my Taylor to play and I'm aghast [scared]. It sounds aweful! Taylors are pretty thin sounding in the first place and this is small bodied. It's a fun guitar to play because of the size but the lack of any bottom is driving me nuts. It's probably more due to the comparison to the J45 but I need to find a different guitar.

Dude , it's a 375 dollar guitar that u wanted as a beater. If it can stay in tune and you can noodle on it at campfires, I figure that's about what you'd expect . Am I wrong ? I have a Taylor big baby and it's perfect for that kind of stuff.

Dude , it's a 375 dollar guitar that u wanted as a beater. If it can stay in tune and you can noodle on it at campfires, I figure that's about what you'd expect . Am I wrong ? I have a Taylor big baby and it's perfect for that kind of stuff.

You're right. I know what the guitar is and what it isn't. I'm not comparing it to the J45, consciously. Last year I thought it was great for what it is, just don't know what changed.

I found my perfect guitar to take out west in the RV. It's an Epiphone Dove. I've got $350 wrapped up in buying it brand new w/ Epi case. Plays great, sounds good (not great) and I just have a wonderful time playing while I watch the Harley's drive past on the highway in Yellowstone!!

It doesn't satisfy my sound needs at home much as I grab the Gibson Dove for that. It's perfect for what I wanted it for. Looks good, plays good sounds good and if it gets lost or destroyed I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't be crying all the way back home either!!

Aster

So, I take out my Taylor to play and I'm aghast [scared]. It sounds awful! Taylors are pretty thin sounding in the first place... but the lack of any bottom is driving me nuts.

Things change. Perception of sounds is relative, including sounds and instruments were are exposed to. What worked yesterday may not work today.

In your case, disenchantment is relative to experiencing Gibson-ness. Sell? Depends. If you have apps you can use the Taylor for, give it a wait. Or, move on. Ive had some quality instruments that I have passed on because the didnt fit what I was trying to play. Good in abstract but not in substance.

When the right one comes along,hang on to it: Jormas J50, Tony Rice's D28, R Thompsons Lowden

Things change. Perception of sounds is relative, including sounds and instruments were are exposed to. What worked yesterday may not work today.

In your case, disenchantment is relative to experiencing Gibson-ness. Sell? Depends. If you have apps you can use the Taylor for, give it a wait. Or, move on. Ive had some quality instruments that I have passed on because the didnt fit what I was trying to play. Good in abstract but not in substance.

When the right one comes along,hang on to it: Jormas J50, Tony Rice's D28, R Thompsons Lowden

I have a Taylor 12 string which is lovely. But the GS mini? Pass. I don't think I've played a parlor sized guitar that I liked with one exception; a Larrivee parlour. Still, a small bodied guitar is just not my style. I think they sound like toys. Especially the GS Mini.

I think you're right about the SWD coloring your perception however. I haven't played a guitar with as much soul as my SWD. Even after getting my new J200, I keep going back to the SWD.

I have a Taylor 12 string which is lovely. But the GS mini? Pass. I don't think I've played a parlor sized guitar that I liked with one exception; a Larrivee parlour. Still, a small bodied guitar is just not my style. I think they sound like toys. Especially the GS Mini.

I think you're right about the SWD coloring your perception however. I haven't played a guitar with as much soul as my SWD. Even after getting my new J200, I keep going back to the SWD.

I like the feel and portability of a small body guitar but maybe not the sound. I'll keep looking and playing till I find one I'm happy with. Who knows, perhaps by the end of the summer I'll like it again.

I had a Songwriter. Loved it when I bought it, but two months later I didn't want to play it. I'd used it at several gigs and it sounded great, easy to play, but there was something missing for "me." I think what tended to make me not want it is that it didn't have what I find to be a "classic" Gibson look or feel. It kind of looked too clean cut. I don't know. This stuff is all so subjective and personal, it's literally impossible to actually apply a real name to a perceived issue (it all boils-down to opinion). I sold it to a minister who uses it for "praise" music. Last time I heard it was almost a year ago, and it sounded superb in the church. I play music in church, but that guitar just wasn't "me." I'm glad it found a home where it is greatly appreciated.

I've also had the absolute reverse experience.

That 175 in my avatar sat in its case for 20 years unplayed with heavy strings I'd liked for sound but... Its general feel is all that kept her from a trade.

A "awwwww heck" day and a change of strings and...

I guess I've made the potential error in my youth of buying guitars on kinda a speed dating mode - and finding that regardless of looks or personality, they just didn't click. Most tended to last about three to six months.

For me it's been ... very subjective in terms of feel and playability. I think anything that's more than half playable in your own hands and mind will have it's own style of singing you can encourage or discourage with your technique.

As for parlor-size guitars...

I think they're wonderful with a parlor style of playing for parlor style music. You can kinda do that with a dread or aj or whatever, but you can't do "dread" with a parlor.

m

As for parlor-size guitars...

I think they're wonderful with a parlor style of playing for parlor style music. You can kinda do that with a dread or aj or whatever, but you can't do "dread" with a parlor.

m

That might sum the whole situation up Milo

Yup, I think so.

Actually one of the best buys for a parlor guitar IMHO is the super-inexpensive Epi PR4e That's $200 street complete to a cheapie AE amp, gig bag and tuner. I got the one I bought for half price 'cuz the amp didn't work. Epi1 sez that's too bad 'cuz most of the little amps work well for a slightly bigger but still parlor environment and will let you add a mike for a little campfire sorta thing.

I actually liked the way it felt when played.

It sounds a bit cigar boxy unless plugged in, especially with super-light 9-42 or silk 'n' steel. But I used it for a couple of kid concerts and the AE actually doesn't sound bad at all. Then again, that was using bare fingers 'stedda any sorta pick.

And if a 10-year-old sat on it I wouldn't have felt all that bad other than for the time setting it up with my strings and such. Plugged in, it wasn't all that bad, either, especially for "parlor-type" playing style.

I'm not sure it's any worse than some of the parlor-y sounds of some Leon Redbone's guitar work doing that same kinda music on similar "parlor" guitars.

I gave mine away to a young lady friend, a mommy of two little ones who was moving away and couldn't afford to get a guitar of her own to keep learning on. That made it worth about triple what I paid for it.

Even "cigar boxy" sound doesn't have to be "bad" for some music, just "wrong" for some music and techniques. For reeeeal old time stuff it also should work with a mountain dulcimer, too. Or certain antique sorts of pre 1900 banjos.

Yup, I think so.

Actually one of the best buys for a parlor guitar IMHO is the super-inexpensive Epi PR4e That's $200 street complete to a cheapie AE amp, gig bag and tuner. I got the one I bought for half price 'cuz the amp didn't work. Epi1 sez that's too bad 'cuz most of the little amps work well for a slightly bigger but still parlor environment and will let you add a mike for a little campfire sorta thing.

I actually liked the way it felt when played.

It sounds a bit cigar boxy unless plugged in, especially with super-light 9-42 or silk 'n' steel. But I used it for a couple of kid concerts and the AE actually doesn't sound bad at all. Then again, that was using bare fingers 'stedda any sorta pick.

And if a 10-year-old sat on it I wouldn't have felt all that bad other than for the time setting it up with my strings and such. Plugged in, it wasn't all that bad, either, especially for "parlor-type" playing style.

I'm not sure it's any worse than some of the parlor-y sounds of some Leon Redbone's guitar work doing that same kinda music on similar "parlor" guitars.

I gave mine away to a young lady friend, a mommy of two little ones who was moving away and couldn't afford to get a guitar of her own to keep learning on. That made it worth about triple what I paid for it.

Even "cigar boxy" sound doesn't have to be "bad" for some music, just "wrong" for some music and techniques. For reeeeal old time stuff it also should work with a mountain dulcimer, too. Or certain antique sorts of pre 1900 banjos.

Good on you for passing the guitar along.

Archived