Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rocketman

Jeff Healey Playing Jazz

Jeff RULES.. Ive always loved his playing [thumbup]

He will always be remembered by me.. I love that hyper blues sound....

• Upvote 1

The disgusting thing <grin> about real talent is how the individual tends so often to exhibit far more depth than that normally associated with their work.

m

I dunno...

I wouldn't say effortlessly...

I'm reminded of the zen tale of the great artist who was asked to produce a painting of a cat for the emperor.

A month went by, then a year, then five years and... no painting. The ministers visited month by month and were told it was being worked on. And worked on. And worked on.

Finally the emperor growled about his painting.

The head minister went to the mountain studio home of the artist and told him it was time and beyond: Produce the cat.

As the tale goes, the artist sat quickly with paint brushes and rice paper.

The brushes moved like swords in battle, swiftly everywhere at once along the rice paper without apparent thought.

In mere minutes there appeared a painting of a cat.

The cat was so beautiful the minister's very breath caught in awe.

"Why, when you made this so effortlessly, have you made our emperor wait, and anger?" asked the minister?

The painter went without a word to cabinets on the walls and under the windows and opened each ....

producing an avalanche of...

paintings of cats...

m

Thanks for posting that, rocketman.

I've just been piping that through the house as I was getting my stuff together.

I'd never heard him play jazz before so that was a wonderful, unexpected treat!

[thumbup]

As far as the Zen artist goes; it reminded me of an interview screened on tv with Pablo Picasso. Details are hazy but the gist of it was this; A while into the program the interviewer asked PP if he could do a quick sketch of him (the interviewer). PP proceeded to excecute a sketch on the piece of paper supplied. On receiving the sketch the interviewer noted aloud that he could probably sell the sketch, which took 30 seconds to draw, for $10,000. PP replied '...that sketch took me 56 years to do...'

P.

Jeff's love of jazz is well known in his native land-Canada,he had a weekly jazz program on CBC radio for years and it was common knowledge that he had one of the world's largest and most comprehensive collections of old jazz recordings.He was a true jazz afficionado in its truest sense and that found its way into his guitar playing quite often.He has jammed with a large number of the world's jazz greats but I don't know how much of it was captured on tape,hopefully most or all of it was commited to tape.

BTW despite being totally blind Jeff could find any record in his immense library in mere seconds,I watched a TV special devoted to him once and the interviewer was in his huge record library and he would name an obscure jazz record,Jeff would find it in no time,certainly much faster than a sighted person could.

Blindness certainly doesn't cut one's mental acuity. I have a local friend who can basically only see light and dark, but makes a living with music.

Craziest for a person not used to it, though, was one year when I played in a state duplicate bridge (the card game) tournament and all the cards in pre-dealt hands were braille 'cuz one of the top guys was blind. How he remembered or even perceived the values of cards is beyond my comprehension - but the guy certainly knew every bit of the odds for where cards were and was a true master of the game, all with an internal sight of some sort.

m

Blindness certainly doesn't cut one's mental acuity. I have a local friend who can basically only see light and dark, but makes a living with music.

Craziest for a person not used to it, though, was one year when I played in a state duplicate bridge (the card game) tournament and all the cards in pre-dealt hands were braille 'cuz one of the top guys was blind. How he remembered or even perceived the values of cards is beyond my comprehension - but the guy certainly knew every bit of the odds for where cards were and was a true master of the game, all with an internal sight of some sort.

m

Yes..

Ive recently been watching some of the US Master Chef... In it they have a blind woman who is competing with everyone else.. Shes amazing.. They have told her she will have to be judged purely based on her food like everyone else... And apart from having someone who helps show her where things are (like pots and pans etc) she does it all by herself..

This week they were given crab to cook. And there was a choice that a winning contestant could choose who gets a live crab and who gets crab meat in a can to work with. So with it being a contest he decided to give the blind lady a live crab as he thought it would throw her.. Indeed she had to work at it and wasnt happy and even cut herself trying to open it.. But in the end she won the best dish for that round.. Amazing..

I used to regularly go to a local club called The Fishing Admiral as they regularly booked top rate talent.One weekend I had other things going on and didn't make it down there,when I got into work on Monday on of my buddys at work told me of the amazing blind guy he saw at the club,this was just before Jeff broke into the big time and I missed the chance of meeting him as the next time he played here he had hit the big time and it was at a stadium,of course you couldn't get near him by then.