Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stones Retiring.

Buxom

The prevelance of early cover tunes points to the band members love of the Blues and R&B, sure, but also to what was going on with their more-or-less instant popularity and the media fascination. They were characterized as the bad-boy alternative to The Beatles, the anti-Beatles, and though they were both packaged as long-haired idols, one group wore matching suits and wrote pop skiffles like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" while the other adopted a more scruffy swagger and covered "I Just Want to Make Love to You". There's more than a bit of contrast in those sentiments [rolleyes] , and it fueled the contrast between the bands. The Stones got swept up and along in all the hooplah (none moreso than Brian), spending their first four years on the road. They had to learn how to adapt (or die), how to write their own music to ride the wave and feed the beast. It took them a while to, err, find the key.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what the farewell concert had that the reunion didn't was sense of urgency and attitude. Sure, they have finesse now and Clapton is very polite, but that was not what Cream is about. It's amps turned up all the way and playing with fierce abandonment. A Strat through some Fender amps just don't cut it.

I'm more about music than attitude, and I couldn't really get into the "we're tired of entertaining you" attitude they were going on. Ending with "I'm so glad", asking the audience if Sunshine of Your Love would "satisfy" the audience. Jack and Ginger were not playing together, they were playing against each other. And knowing that Jack and Ginger would never see the success they saw in Cream makes them look like Ego sandwiches on Hubris bread.

As for the gear they're running, Jacks bass sounds way better through a bass amp. I do like Clapton's ES-335 into Marshalls better than his Fender stuff for Cream.

As for the gear they're running, Jacks bass sounds way better through a bass amp. I do like Clapton's ES-335 into Marshalls better than his Fender stuff for Cream.

Guess I should have said that Jack didn't lose a thing at the reunion concert. His bass did sound killer.

I thought the Stones were retiring after their last Album 'A Bigger Bang' which I felt had hidden meaning as in 'going out with a bang'

I understand that both Charlie and Keith don't enjoy good health so Glastonbury seems like a good way to say goodbye. Ah! I saw them at the Marque in Oxford street when they were just another band, they're not that now!

Jack and Ginger were not playing together, they were playing against each other.

Wasn't that usually the case? That was part of what made Cream's sound. That said, I found the reunion concert bland as well. (Though Jack Bruce clearly still has the goods).

Wasn't that usually the case? That was part of what made Cream's sound. That said, I found the reunion concert bland as well. (Though Jack Bruce clearly still has the goods).

I've heard some bootlegs that are absolutely tight as can be. They seemd to be a lot like the Dead. When they were gettign along the music was sublime, when they weren't it was cacophony. Of course I can't speak from personal experience about Cream, just the recordings I've heard.

Archived