Joe Walsh - Analog Man

Jack White - Blunderbuss

The Cult - Choice of Weapon

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Towards the Daylight

And we're only in June. :)

Love the Alabama Shakes album too! They came to town a few weeks back opening up for Jack White at the Ryman..... and of course both nights sold out before I could get tickets [thumbdn]

I'm on this thread not because I know the current "hot" bands but rather because even when I was playing rock for money in the olden days, I tended to buy recordings only of stuff I hadda learn to do more or less covers as was the style of the day. I later did the same with country, then with country/rock, etc., through the '70s.

Ain't 'cuz I'm old, 'cuz I was that way at 18 and before. If I didn't already know the material from radio, and it was for paying gigs, I bought the recording. Most of my "albums" one way or another have been study material toward performances or other purposes, and usually purchased only if I'd use it for paying gigs...

Here's my question: Are you folks buying to listen to 'stedda the radio, to claim ownership of an album for its extrinsic value, or to do an easier pickup of chops on given pieces of music? I'm not surprised at non-musicians buying stuff to listen to, but I'm almost surprised at musicians buying stuff to listen to if they're playing for money.

m

I buy music to listen to and to learn for covers because the radio does not play all of the songs on the CD. And because I am a RUSH fan still wanting to support the "Album/CD" era. I rarely do YouTube and I don't download single songs. I don't even have an IPOD.

I buy music to listen to and to learn for covers because the radio does not play all of the songs on the CD. And because I am a RUSH fan still wanting to support the "Album/CD" era. I rarely do YouTube and I don't download single songs. I don't even have an IPOD.

Radio isn't the same anymore. I rely on YouTube, iTunes, my iPod, and of course my cds and records, as well as Vh1 Classic once and a while. They play the same songs over and over on public radio nowadays.

You could say that the "Spirit Of Radio" is gone! [biggrin][crying]

I've been listening to Real Women by the band Mount Carmel a lot lately. I like this song the most:

I owe you one, Twiz. These guys are insanely good. Listened to them all day in the car today. [thumbup]

Awesome! Yeah they're really a good band. We played a show with them a few weeks back when they came through Pittsburgh. Really nice guys, and they are awesome live. I'm glad you dig it.

Radio isn't the same anymore. I rely on YouTube, iTunes, my iPod, and of course my cds and records, as well as Vh1 Classic once and a while. They play the same songs over and over on public radio nowadays.

You could say that the "Spirit Of Radio" is gone! [biggrin][crying]

Here in St. Louis, KSHE Radio is still going strong. I switch between KSHE and my CD's, during commercials, while driving in my car. Except lately, I've been listening to nothing but Clockwork Angels.

Ace! My drummer spins his stuff at rehearsals from time to time. Love the GBV lofi flavor of his earlier stuff and get heavily into the songwriting on the new noise. Will need to pick this up.

Ace! My drummer spins his stuff at rehearsals from time to time. Love the GBV lofi flavor of his earlier stuff and get heavily into the songwriting on the new noise. Will need to pick this up.

Also check out Hair by Ty Segall & White Fence. Great record, more so on the musical side then Slaughterhouse but still really good. Came out this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Also check out Hair by Ty Segall & White Fence. Great record, more so on the musical side then Slaughterhouse but still really good. Came out this year.

Thanks for steering me towards this cat, file mou. I just got Slaughterhouse and Hair. These releases might top Disappears and Lee Ranaldo for my favorites. I love the pop hooks delivered with dirty guitars. This is more lofi than GBV or Eric's Trip (if you grew up in the nineties you should know these bands).

Mount Carmel - Real Women is the album I cannot stop listening to.

It reminds me of everything I love about late 60s/Early 70s rock like

Cream, Free, Grand Funk. These guys have that sound down. (Thanks again, Twiz) [thumbup]

Mount Carmel - Real Women is the album I cannot stop listening to.

It reminds me of everything I love about late 60s/Early 70s rock like

Cream, Free, Grand Funk. These guys have that sound down. (Thanks again, Twiz) [thumbup]

Man, that seventies sound is coming back big time. I love it.

Man, that seventies sound is coming back big time. I love it.

They even have a bit of Humble Pie in em' despite having only one guitar player!

You know what is missing is twin-guitar bands nowadays (ala Thin Lizzy, Priest, Maiden, Tesla, etc)....

But I know of a few bands are doing it, but it's mostly modern metal (either that, or it's too AC/DC or Aerosmith ish...) these days, it doesn't have the same feel.

C'mon! I wanna see a twin Les Paul band with some Marshalls behind em'! Not some metal band with ESP guitars and Rectal Fryers or an Axe-Fx (which seems to be very popular in that field)....

I think the classic heavy metal (or at least what I call classic heavy metal) sound is gonna return soon. Bands that echo Thin Lizzy, UFO, Scorpions, Mahogany Rush, early Priest, early Ozzy, Sabbath, old school Rush, etc.

That being said, I miss Les Pauls with Super Distortions and Marshalls cranked to the max!

They even have a bit of Humble Pie in em' despite having only one guitar player!

You know what is missing is twin-guitar bands nowadays (ala Thin Lizzy, Priest, Maiden, Tesla, etc)....

But I know of a few bands are doing it, but it's mostly modern metal (either that, or it's too AC/DC or Aerosmith ish...) these days, it doesn't have the same feel.

C'mon! I wanna see a twin Les Paul band with some Marshalls behind em'! Not some metal band with ESP guitars and Rectal Fryers or an Axe-Fx (which seems to be very popular in that field)....

I think the classic heavy metal (or at least what I call classic heavy metal) sound is gonna return soon. Bands that echo Thin Lizzy, UFO, Scorpions, Mahogany Rush, early Priest, early Ozzy, Sabbath, old school Rush, etc.

That being said, I miss Les Pauls with Super Distortions and Marshalls cranked to the max!

I hear you on the dual guitar stuff. Ty Segall Band has some on the Slaughterhouse album and it's killer. My previous band used to throw in little guitar harmony riffs here and there and I miss it a lot (my current band is a two piece).

And its called a rectum frier ;)

I hear you on the dual guitar stuff. Ty Segall Band has some on the Slaughterhouse album and it's killer. My previous band used to throw in little guitar harmony riffs here and there and I miss it a lot (my current band is a two piece).

And its called a rectum frier ;)

I'll have to check that out.

Having another guitar player is great for me because it makes the sound bigger, you can do harmony leads, and suspensions (ie, one plays the main chord and the other plays the same chord an octave higher). And it's nice to share the spotlight with someone else. I would never wanna have the show be all about me. Even with Van Halen, sometimes the show's all about Eddie cause' half the people come to see him. That's the problem with a lot of single-guitar bands (or artists, when it's supposed to be about them). I mean, who goes to a Lynch Mob show for any other reason besides to see George Lynch? There ya' go. Rush is an exception. People go to Rush shows to see those guys play TOGETHER, as they're not complete without each other. Same goes for bands like The Police, Pink Floyd, U2 (even though I'm not a fan at all), Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. They're units.

My favorite twin-guitar team of all time is (well, was when you think about it...) Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham. They harmonized. They traded off. They didn't show off unless they were together.

But that's all subjective.

You could also say that Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan are a twin-guitar team even though Sheehan plays the 4-string.....(Billy has been a big influence on my guitar playing as has Jaco, Juan Alderate, etc)

Archived