Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Sheraton

Alan189

I have an '09 Riviera. I put a Licensed Bigsby B60 on it and changed pu's to GFS Fat Mini's with coil cuts. Yes the neck pu is reversed. The neck angle and the pu route are not perpendicular like most Gibson/Epi. It usually doesn't matter. But on this one, when the pu is raised above the guitar top, the pu follows the body route. And the back of the pu is too low. You can't move it. So I reversed it so I could raise the pole pieces to compensate. It seemes to work pretty well.

This is my first attempt at posting pics to an outside site. I hope it works.

Love that guitar.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj586/Xtone1/DSCN0119.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj586/Xtone1/DSCN0118.jpg

Out of interest, what is the neck like on these Riviera's?

If the neck is like a baseball bat in disguise then I reckon I could only play half a song before need to use another guitar with a slimmer neck profile!

Really nice looking guitars aswell!

For MattHewk: How are those GFS Fat Minis? Have you compared them in a live sound situation with Duncans or other such pickups? Thank You. Rednefceleb.

I have not compared them to anything but the stock ones. And the comparison is from memory only. I do remember wanting to get a bit fuller/hotter sound. And the GFS did that. Coil cutting was equally important to me. And the GFS are 4 conductor.

I also put the Fat Mini's in a Blacktop Strat with great results. I just had to custom order a pickguard and do a full wiring job.

I have used the pu's at gigs quite a bit with great results. I don't know what I am missing with the other pu's out there, but am completely happy with the GFS. They stand on there own merits.

I have also converted two P-90 guitars (Epi LP Special SC and Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen)to mini's with the GFS Mini 59's. Great conversion. I do like P-90's overall, especially in ther BR position. But I like the mini's better.

Overall, GFS mini's have been great for me. No compromise that I know of. And about $35/ea. is nothing to pay for a quality pu.

Out of interest, what is the neck like on these Riviera's?

If the neck is like a baseball bat in disguise then I reckon I could only play half a song before need to use another guitar with a slimmer neck profile!

Really nice looking guitars aswell!

My '09 Riviera has the fatter neck. I prefer it over my '09 DOT's neck which is real thin.

For Sprucetop & Alan189. I am gonna give GFS a shot. I have looked around and not ever read a bad report on GFS. I'm gonna buy their "Greenie" double overdrive effect. A JRC4558 Tube Screamer in Ch. #1. A TS-9 emulation for Ch. #2. And as for Alan189...that's a beautiful looking red axe! Peace, Rednefceleb.

Archived