Gibson Brands Forums

Transistor Shoot out: BC108 vs 2N5088

bluesguitar65

OK, here's one unmistakible difference I hear.

When switching between pickups (treble, both and neck) fuzz No.1 highlighted the differences between each pickup selection.

The second fuzz you used did not. It sounded the same regardless of the pickup selection.

That's what I noticed.

Have fun. [thumbup]

I heard very clear differences between them......I preferred the BC108; the noise floor was louder though...Hmmmm........

What really kills me is, I heard him say " TEN DOLLAR PEDAL."......Why am I spending a fortune on pedals ???? [confused] ....

I dunno how he does it for $10. That was probably a bit of an exaggeration. The box and switch alone cost me about $10. The last pedal I posted in my DIY thread cost me about $20 to make.

It really depends on the circuit and the parts you're using though. You could easily spend $20 on transistors alone, and if you're making something like a delay pedal that can get really expensive really fast.

But really the most expensive part is usually shipping and I don't have any decent electronics stores nearby.

I dunno how he does it for $10. That was probably a bit of an exaggeration. The box and switch alone cost me about $10. The last pedal I posted in my DIY thread cost me about $20 to make.

It really depends on the circuit and the parts you're using though. You could easily spend $20 on transistors alone, and if you're making something like a delay pedal that can get really expensive really fast.

But really the most expensive part is usually shipping and I don't have any decent electronics stores nearby.

I hear ya......Plus, there's "overhead", etc etc, and the time build compensation as well.....I KNOW I'm gonna end up building pedals.....

I just really don't want to start.........I'll be starting not by building the inards, but, acid etching the boxes...I am an artist, so, that's more

pratical for me than studying all the techy stuff.......I'll PM you soon Dub (pedal stuff).......

More midrange from the 2N5088 loaded fuzz. More low end (and more of a scooped sound) from the BC108 loaded fuzz. That's what I hear.

I as well.......( Perhaps why I'm not a TubeScreamer fan, although the T.S. isn't a fuzz box.. )...:-k .....

I hear ya......Plus, there's "overhead", etc etc, and the time build compensation as well.....I KNOW I'm gonna end up building pedals.....

I just really don't want to start.........I'll be starting not by building the inards, but, acid etching the boxes...I am an artist, so, that's more

pratical for me than studying all the techy stuff.......I'll PM you soon Dub (pedal stuff).......

I would love to have you etch some boxes for me sometime. I've been seeing some really cool etched artwork and I wanna get in on that. IMO its the classiest way to finish a pedal.

Archived