Gibson Brands Forums

Can I put in Single Coil on my les paul?

Andrew Riggs

Given the amount of money and time you want to spend, you can do anything you want-

However, for the least amount of money and time, try looking at:

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat

Gibson P94

GFS Dream 90

All of these are P90 single coil pickups, in a humbucker size case- no mods to your LP, a drop in replacement.

If you want to put a Strat type single coil, I think that someone makes adapter rings for those, but I'm not sure where I saw them.

Andrew, given what you want in tone, and what you've stated what you don't like thus far, you'll most likely hate any P-90 pickup.....

I suggest reading the thread by ScottGrove, a bit down this page...........

This might be the stupidest question of all time but can I take out a humbucker and replace it with a single coil on my epiphone les paul custom ?

Yes. The P94 is a humbucker sized single coil. Have one in my SG Special.

Yes. The P94 is a humbucker sized single coil. Have one in my SG Special.

I don't think he's going for the P-90 tone though. Seymour Duncan's custom shop might make some Strat single coils in a humbucker casing.

I think Tele or Jazzmaster pickups would be cool in a Les Paul, or any Gibson for that matter.

Imagine that, an angled Tele bridge pup screwed directly to an R9!

The P-94s and SD Phat Cats are the bee's knees, but if I was to get a humbucker-sized P-90, I would get the Arcane PX-100, which is one of the two Phil X signature pickups they make.

That's just what I would personally like though. You (and many others) are happy with the others out there so I don't mean to rain on your parade (like I did with the coily cables...).

Guest rogerb

Looks like it has already been mentioned but yes the Gibson P-94 is a single coil pickup in a humbucker housing.

OK maybe I'm missing something here but why not just split the coils of either your bridge pu or neck pu for a single coil sound.Unless you really think having a single coil pu in a LP looks cool.If your HB's dont split buy new HB's that do and have both killer HB sounds in case you ever want them or keep them split and viola single coils in your LP.

Archived