Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between Jr and Jr Faded?

ccannon1

I noticed that there is a $100 price difference between the Faded and Gloss models of the LP Jr, with the Faded being the more expensive one. Any clues as to why this is? Is there any actual difference other than the texture of the finish?

The gloss finish has a coat of clear nitro buffed to gloss; it also features grain filler to ensure a smooth finish, too. The faded is an excuse to sell a guitar that's barely finished. The faded Junior is no longer available to my knowledge. Usually the faded is the cheaper of the versions.

Here's some advice: spend the extra hundred and find a gloss on any model. I have a faded and after a few month I wore the finish off the neck and sides. That should be enough to fork over the extra money.

Here's some advice: spend the extra hundred and find a gloss on any model. I have a faded and after a few month I wore the finish off the neck and sides. That should be enough to fork over the extra money.

Haha, the Faded is the more expensive one! And thanks for the advice.

Does the use of Obeche really make it very much different though?

EDIT: I realized why the price difference exists, the new gloss models use Obeche whereas the Fadeds use Baked Maple

Check these stats on Obeche

http://www.connectedlines.com/wood/wood46.htm

Ive have checked one out myself and can confirm its not a very hard wood... Easy to dent.. and thus doesnt really make for a good fingerboard.. I wouldnt go near one either...

Archived