Gibson Brands Forums

Thought of a trem system. Modern Bigsby?

Buxom

Alright, so I was just looking at parts, particularly the spring claw from a Stratocaster, when it came to me. "What if I mounted this up top?" Well, I thought of a whole system for it, possibly.

It started with this basic hardtale bridge.

4507_2lg.jpg

Remove the saddles from it, make it a solid bar of steel, maybe one inch thick and three inches long. Keep the wraparound feature for the strings.

Now, move to the Tune o Matic.

Hardware-Bridge-jpg.aspx?width=300&height=174

Use this for the obvious feature, saddle adjustment for making your guitar playable.

Now, here's where the fun begins.

001-0272-100-l.jpg

Take this, and mount it so that the claw faces away from the bridge. Take your springs, and elongate them, and possibly bend the mounting ring, so that the actual spring can hook to the steel bar, with holes drilled in the appropriate places for them, of course.

So it pivots smoothly, I was thinking mount the system in some kind of ball bearing system. I'm not sure what the mountings are called, but I'll show a crude sketch I made..

So you can mount your trem arm, the low side of the bar will be slightly elongated and drilled to accommodate.

ELJyG.jpg

If you use my idea, and make money, be sure to send me enough so I can live comfortably and take care of my mama. :P If you make a bunch of one offs, send me one!

(also have a few other complicated ideas, my inventive side takes over when I have too much time to think.)

(also, don't make fun of my three minutes of drawing!)

ELJyG.jpg

If you use my idea, and make money, be sure to send me enough so I can live comfortably and take care of my mama. :P If you make a bunch of one offs, send me one!

(also have a few other complicated ideas, my inventive side takes over when I have too much time to think.)

(also, don't make fun of my three minutes of drawing!)

Um, er, ah, you plagiarized a page from Leonardo da Vinci's CODEX book.....Same paper, same pencil lead.....Shocking !!!!!!!!! :unsure: [crying][scared][flapper] ......

I'd actually like to make mine as an experimental thing. I could probably knock it out in a couple weeks if I had a few more tools at my disposal. But I think a cheapo Teisco or something would be a nice guinea pig, no? and if it works, good for me! I'd also probably chrome or nickel plate everything if it wouldn't break the bank. I'd also want to make a cover for the spring section.

I dig the Stetsbars. Great stuff.

But for some reason, they (as well as the Kahlers and the Washburn Wonderbar) remind me of Frehley's Comet era (87'-88') Ace...

Maybe cause' he had a Wonderbar on his Les Pauls......

All I can say is thank God he stopped with that! (his vibrato was starting to suffer....)

Guest farnsbarns

I think there is an inherent flaw... (apart from having springs across the front of the guitar)

The movement in the tail will be very small just like a bigsby, that's fine, but there is a reason the bigsby has a short spring, in compression.

With those long springs, they will only be stretched a couple of mm is use, that's also fine but it will makes tuning all but impossible because the springs will allow far to much movement if used that way.

What's the advantage? Perhaps there is mileage in developing the idea further.

It might create a kind of reverb btw, that alone could be quite cool.

Archived