Gibson Brands Forums

Rush

surfpup

So this is something I am wondering about today... do you guys know any girls who like Rush?

My wife cannot stand Rush. She and I have our common musical ground, and we have our gray areas where she can tolerate something but doesn't really like it, and we have the dead zone.... Rush is definitely in the dead zone.

I'm pretty sure it's Geddy Lee - as soon as she hears the vocal she's done.

So I guess I am wondering if girls like Rush. Does anyone have a girl who loves Rush, likes Rush, or even tolerates Rush.

Or am I alone in this? [crying]

I don't know many females who LOVE Rush like I do, but I know a few who either like them or tolerate them.

But most ladies I know don't even know who they are....They may recognize "Tom Sawyer" or something, but ask them who Rush is and they are completely dumbfounded.

Here's a good story, although it doesn't involve females:

I'm super excited to go see Rush on the Time Machine tour at the Gorge in Washington State (which was the last date of that tour, and is one of the well-known of the Time Machine dates. And I missed it BTW. I heard Geddy dropped the F bomb at the end of the show. One of my regrets. It wasn't my fault, though. The two guys I was going to go with canceled on me....). I'm talking about it with my "musically retarded" friends (they dig Nickelback, etc...). They are completely unaware of who Rush is. They tell me, "If they're so great, then why haven't I heard of them". I proceed to call them dumbasses. Anyway, I was talking to one of them about it, and he's like "Rush who? I say, "You know that song, Tom Sawyer?". He says "No.....". So I proceed to sing the lyrics, "a modern day warrior of mean, mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer mean, mean pride, etc". He goes, "That song? That song SUCKS! I heard it on the radio once and I thought, man what a stupid song!". I go, "Sucks for you."

Needless to say, his crappy music taste and general cocky attitude towards life has greatly affected our friendship.

There is a lot of people that say Rush cannot write emotional songs (which is somewhat of a stereotype in prog). A lot of their songs are, but you have to dig deep into the lyrical content, which isn't easy.

"Tears" is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I get a little teary-eyed every time I listen to it. It's a pity that it's not really a "big" Rush song. It also showed that Geddy's voice could mellow out.

Other "emotional" Rush songs include "Making Memories" (Fly By Night), "Rivendell" (Fly By Night), "In The End" (Fly By Night), "Entre Nous" (Permanent Waves), and many more as well.

You could say that "In The Mood" (Rush), "Fly By Night", "Closer To The Heart" (A Farewell To Kings), "The Analog Kid" (Signals), "New World Man" (Signals), "Distant Early Warning" (Grace Under Pressure), "Red Sector A" (Grace Under Pressure), "Kid Gloves" (Grace Under Pressure), "Time Stand Still" (Hold Your Fire), "Presto" (Presto), "Dreamline" (Roll The Bones), "Animate" (Counterparts), "Resist" (A Test For Echo), half of Vapor Trails, and the last section of "The Necromancer" (Caress Of Steel) either are emotional (either by the lyrics or music) or "love songs".

"In The Mood" is a classic "rock n' roll" love song, not so much a ballad (lyric wise). All the lyrics (except "Take A Friend" and "Working Man") from the first album are pretty canny compared to Peart's lyrics (cause' Geddy and Alex wrote them on the fly...). That's not to say they are the corniest lyrics ever......Those lyrics are still more sophisticated than a lot of KISS lyrics....

So this is something I am wondering about today... do you guys know any girls who like Rush?

My wife cannot stand Rush. She and I have our common musical ground, and we have our gray areas where she can tolerate something but doesn't really like it, and we have the dead zone.... Rush is definitely in the dead zone.

I'm pretty sure it's Geddy Lee - as soon as she hears the vocal she's done.

So I guess I am wondering if girls like Rush. Does anyone have a girl who loves Rush, likes Rush, or even tolerates Rush.

Or am I alone in this? [crying]

My wife has no choice, she's come to love them because I'm constantly playing something from them.

She likes Gloria Estafan,, and I have to listen to that, so -- enough said! (however, she does have a great voice, I just can't stand the music, which is the opposite of how most ladies think of Rush, funny huh?)

When my wife and I got married she owned every Rush album there was at the time on CD (that was rare back then). She says she is a Rush fan with a deep appreciation for their music and ability but can't do them in large doses. I feel the same way.

I will prob get in trouble from the women here but Imma say it...I think most women only go for top 40 radio crap....Rush , Floyd, oldfield stuff like that most women don't get into ...if it ain't warin a cowboy hat or flashing that crest sparkle smile they don't get it. [flapper]

I will prob get in trouble from the women here but Imma say it...I think most women only go for top 40 radio crap....Rush , Floyd, oldfield stuff like that most women don't get into ...if it ain't warin a cowboy hat or flashing that crest sparkle smile they don't get it. [flapper]

Well, the guys in Rush aren't exactly "fashionable", so that probably puts some women off.

One look at Geddy in their kimono phase (circa 77') will send your average woman running for the hills, trust me!

Most women I know love Pink Floyd.....

But women just don't dig progressive music at all.....It's weird, somewhat frightening, the bands look funky, the songs are long and weird, it's not "party music", etc.

But of course, you could get lucky and find a cool chick that digs Rush as much as you do.....

Most women I know love Pink Floyd.....

But women just don't dig progressive music at all.....It's weird, somewhat frightening, the bands look funky, the songs are long and weird, it's not "party music", etc.

But of course, you could get lucky and find a cool chick that digs Rush as much as you do.....

yes....but if you notice they might like floyd but usually it's from the Wall or dark side....not to many like umma gumma or atom heart mother for example.

Well last time I went to a Rush concert I only got tickets for me and my drummer. My wife said that she had gone to a Rush concert years ago with one of her girl friends and really liked it. I didn't know!! Turns out my drummer's wife and their daughter are Rush fans too.

So now we're all going together to see Rush in October (floor seats near the front), including my 11 year old son who is also a fan. Can't wait.

Well last time I went to a Rush concert I only got tickets for me and my drummer. My wife said that she had gone to a Rush concert years ago with one of her girl friends and really liked it. I didn't know!! Turns out my drummer's wife and their daughter are Rush fans too.

So now we're all going together to see Rush in October (floor seats near the front), including my 11 year old son who is also a fan. Can't wait.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BRAG! I GOT NOTHIN! :rolleyes:

That's very cool. I hope you and your gang of Rushians have a Rushtastic (LAME ALERT!) time!

I hope they do something to honor the 20th Anniversary of Signals on the upcoming tour.

Probably not....

I hope they play "The Analog Kid". Na, they never play "The Analog Kid" (the R30 intro w. Jerry Stiller is classic!).

There is a lot of people that say Rush cannot write emotional songs (which is somewhat of a stereotype in prog). A lot of their songs are, but you have to dig deep into the lyrical content, which isn't easy.

"Tears" is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I get a little teary-eyed every time I listen to it. It's a pity that it's not really a "big" Rush song. It also showed that Geddy's voice could mellow out.

Other "emotional" Rush songs include "Making Memories" (Fly By Night), "Rivendell" (Fly By Night), "In The End" (Fly By Night), "Entre Nous" (Permanent Waves), and many more as well.

You could say that "In The Mood" (Rush), "Fly By Night", "Closer To The Heart" (A Farewell To Kings), "The Analog Kid" (Signals), "New World Man" (Signals), "Distant Early Warning" (Grace Under Pressure), "Red Sector A" (Grace Under Pressure), "Kid Gloves" (Grace Under Pressure), "Time Stand Still" (Hold Your Fire), "Presto" (Presto), "Dreamline" (Roll The Bones), "Animate" (Counterparts), "Resist" (A Test For Echo), half of Vapor Trails, and the last section of "The Necromancer" (Caress Of Steel) either are emotional (either by the lyrics or music) or "love songs".

"In The Mood" is a classic "rock n' roll" love song, not so much a ballad (lyric wise). All the lyrics (except "Take A Friend" and "Working Man") from the first album are pretty canny compared to Peart's lyrics (cause' Geddy and Alex wrote them on the fly...). That's not to say they are the corniest lyrics ever......Those lyrics are still more sophisticated than a lot of KISS lyrics....

The Garden on Clockwork Angels is even more emotional than Tears. Really listen to the lyrics and put yourself in Neil's place for a moment and you'll need a tissue. I not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out.

I hope they play "The Analog Kid". Na, they never play "The Analog Kid" (the R30 intro w. Jerry Stiller is classic!).

Great tune! I learned all of that album except the solo to that tune. Here's me playing the solo to Digital Man on my PRS. This took me forever to get down (especially the harmonics).

I hate Rush for the same reason your wife does. The music is fine but as soon as Geddy Lee starts singing I'm done and don't ever want to hear it again. I can not stand that man's voice.

so Dave, to each his own, I get it, but have you "really" listened to anything in the last few years, Geddy has changed his vocals considerably since the 2112 days.

so Dave, to each his own, I get it, but have you "really" listened to anything in the last few years, Geddy has changed his vocals considerably since the 2112 days.

Funny you should mention that. The "2112" days are the best RUSH ever IMO. Along with all of their albums before and after up until about Moving Pictures. I fell away from them after that until recently with Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels. I can tolerate his latest vocals knowing he is getting older and can't hit the same range as before, but the old days are the best. I really hate it when they change the key of a song like 2112, etc... so Geddy can hit the notes. I'd rather listen to an instrumental of the song.

Archived