Gibson Brands Forums

So can "new" be not so much sometimes?

Just a Dabbler

Hi folks! 1st post as a new member of the forum. I'm back into guitar after about 40 years away, trying to re-learn some of the old rural blues and folk tunes I knew and getting a brand new set of calluses of which I'm very proud [thumbup]

I just got my Gibson last week, a very sweet little Robert Johnson L-1, about which I have a question for you more knowledgeable folks. I got my guitar new from a regional 5 Star dealer just last week. Love, love, love the pre-war rural blues sound, and my L-1 re-issue does a great job of bringing that back. Here's the thing. Looking at the serial number (02563xxx), it appears that the guitar was actually made in Sept, 2003, so almost 9 years ago! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not worried that I bought a used instrument, the guitar is flawless and I trust the dealer. Furthermore, I registered the guitar as new with no problem with Gibson. Heck, I'd have probably paid extra for 9 years of "mellowing" in a climate controlled environment given a choice.

So, to my questions:

How long has Gibson been making the little Robert Johnson L-1? More than 9 years?

Am I reading the serial number right? 1st and 5th digits are year, 2 though 4th are day of year?

If so, how common is it for a guitar to have been in stock at a family owned shop for 8+ years?

Am I right that with the setup and new strings that the dealer did, I came out better than I could have hoped?

Thanks, and play on!

Hi folks! 1st post as a new member of the forum. I'm back into guitar after about 40 years away, trying to re-learn some of the old rural blues and folk tunes I knew and getting a brand new set of calluses of which I'm very proud [thumbup]

I just got my Gibson last week, a very sweet little Robert Johnson L-1, about which I have a question for you more knowledgeable folks. I got my guitar new from a regional 5 Star dealer just last week. Love, love, love the pre-war rural blues sound, and my L-1 re-issue does a great job of bringing that back. Here's the thing. Looking at the serial number (02563xxx), it appears that the guitar was actually made in Sept, 2003, so almost 9 years ago! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not worried that I bought a used instrument, the guitar is flawless and I trust the dealer. Furthermore, I registered the guitar as new with no problem with Gibson. Heck, I'd have probably paid extra for 9 years of "mellowing" in a climate controlled environment given a choice.

So, to my questions:

How long has Gibson been making the little Robert Johnson L-1? More than 9 years?

Am I reading the serial number right? 1st and 5th digits are year, 2 though 4th are day of year?

If so, how common is it for a guitar to have been in stock at a family owned shop for 8+ years?

Am I right that with the setup and new strings that the dealer did, I came out better than I could have hoped?

Thanks, and play on!

That sounds right on the year. There is this concept of NOS, new old stock. Usually not quite that old but you come across them. As long as the frets are not worn and cosmetically looks ok, all the better. Age is good for a guitar.

I just acquired from my mother-in-law a Martin 5-18, a very small baby Taylor sized guitar. It was made in 1968 according to the serial number but she bought it as new in 1976. It has the letter from the Martin Co. confirming the warranty of the new guitar purchase. It must have hung around the store for 8 years maybe played some but was still "new". It's still in nearly perfect shape.

That sounds right on the year. There is this concept of NOS, new old stock. Usually not quite that old but you come across them. As long as the frets are not worn and cosmetically looks ok, all the better. Age is good for a guitar.

I have an electric 12 string guitar made in 1966 that sat in a warehouse in Milwaukee until 1984 when it was bought at the now legendary DeLuca Bros. calling it quits sale and then left in its case until the day I snagged it.

I have nothing to add to this post other than,,, welcome back to guitar [thumbup]

I also had a musical sabbatical but mine was only in the 12-15 yr mark.

40 years, wow,, Very cool and welcome back.

Just goes to show that it never really leaves you. Music is in our souls.

It's part of us. So cool that you are back. I know how you feel.

And don't worry,, the rust does eventualy come off...lol

Hey! You will feel comfortable here. Several of us have the same checkered past. At leastg I do. We started out with the guitar back when young with extra time on our hands, but not much dinero for a nice acoustic. Then, LIFE intervened. Family and work took a higher priority and it wasn't until our kids got older (or work got 'old') that we remembered. I can identify with your signature line as well. I,too, am bringing back the 69s one bad rendition at a time. Enjoy your RJ !. It will all come back to you. Sort of like riding a bicycle. Well, tricycle maybe. G'Luck!

Thanks everyone for the assurances that I have it right on the serial number and for the welcome. And thanks, grampa, for the comment on Pogo. My all-time favorite comic strip. (We are showing our age, you and I [biggrin] )

Interesting about "new old stock". It makes me wonder who here holds the record for guitar that was oldest when purchased new. Can anyone do better than Zombywoof?

Play on!

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to playing the guitar.

I had a similar experience having been away from playing from 1985 to 2000 while I raised a family. Now when people ask how long I've played guitar the simple answer is 44 years (started when I was 14). However, the correct answer is (doing the math in my head) 29 years.

The guitar hasn't changed much in all that time. However, the information available and the ease of getting that information HAS changed in amazing ways. Pre-internet, I used to have to plan to spend an entire Saturday if I wanted to learn a particular song. I would get out the guitar, sit next to my stereo and turntable and play a section, lift the arm, try to play it on the guitar, write it down, play the next section etc. I learned to play "Mother Goose" by Jethro Tull in this manner. Each song learned was an exercise in patience, tenacity and sheer will.

When I picked up the guitar again in 2000, the access to guitar tabs was an amazing revelation to me. I discovered I actually COULD play some of those songs that I spent a Saturday in vain trying to figure out because they were in an altered tuning that I had no idea existed! (eg Question - Moody Blues).

Between the access to detailed information and the camaraderie of like minded and supportive people all over the world that gather here in this forum, guitar playing has become an incredibly fulfilling experience.

Enjoy your guitar, enjoy your discovery and enjoy being with friends here at the Gibson forum!

Cheers!

[thumbup]

I have an electric 12 string guitar made in 1966 that sat in a warehouse in Milwaukee until 1984 when it was bought at the now legendary DeLuca Bros. calling it quits sale and then left in its case until the day I snagged it.

Wow!

Archived