Gibson Brands Forums
Brianjli

Serial Number and Date for ES-125

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your input!

I look forward to receiving this guitar. I can't sleep at nights. I'm in the hunt for a late 50s to early 60s P-90, right now and a genuine pickguard. The pickup is a essential. I already have one but i want to get the second one. This is what i always do for my vintage guitars. In the end i'll get an original case, keys, and the correct pickguard and bridge just to have them in the guitar. The P-90s are of course going in the guitar. I was contemplating if this was indeed an ES-125 or any other model looking the same as it appears that the model number is very faint in the F hole on the actual guitar. I already acquired the correct trussrod.

Edited by orys

This is what's inside. 

BotDQkt.jpg

It's a 59 TCD?

The bridge pickup cavity is original. The nitro is evident around the cavity.

Edited by orys

Hi Tio,

I just realized that you have not yet posted an image showing the whole guitar.  Since I haven't seen an image of the stamped model name, or the body shape and depth of the guitar, I just want to make sure we're talking about an ES-125TCD here. (Thin body; Cutaway; Double pickups)

As for the fact that the FON appears to pre-date the production of the model, this is not so unusual.  The following excerpt (even though your guitar wouldn't have had a serial number) from guitarhq.com helps to explain:

Another question asked is, "The FON number says the instrument is 1958, yet the serial number says 1959; why are they different?". There is a very logical reason for this. The FON number is stamped on the instrument very early in the manufacturing process. Most times, the serial number is applied as one of the last steps (especially on pre-1961 hollow body instruments) when the instrument is nearly finished. Depending on the demand for the instrument, it could take Gibson up to 6 months to finish the instrument. Hence the FON number could be one year, and the serial number the next year.

Thanks Tio.  Just wanted to make sure I was talking about the right guitar (so many different 125's sharing this one thread)! 

1960 seems to be the year (reflector-top vol/tone knobs, if original, would suggest the latter part of that year).