Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars on The Wall. Tell me if I'm wrong..

Dallastx

We remodeled one of our bed rooms so we could mount most of my guitars on the wall. Looked pretty good when we got done with it. Guests would spend the night and see guitars from the past and present that have a long history. Recently my wife had been using it for storage so I packed them up in their cases until she got all her stuff in the other storage room. She got kinda pissie with me on taking them down, but why let the dust settle when they can be safe in their cases? BTW, my SG stays in the hardcase when I'm not gigging or playing it.

Just had to vent...

D

I'm with you. In the case if I'm not playing. I just won't chance it. Plus my room has a window with west exposure and too much sun light. Don't like shades either. That room is too dang small to start with & I need to see the outdoors so I don't think I'm in a blamed phone booth!!

Aster

I keep my SG61Reissue on the wall in a good hanger. I like it because it's handy to grab it for practising and noodling around whenever I have a few minutes. I also think it looks great and I like to show it off. (Don't worry, it can't be seen from outside -- I'm not THAT dumb.) The room faces north, so no direct sunlight.

Am I doing a bad thing hanging it on the wall?

Hello! This is a very interesting subject, good that someone raised it! I was always against the wall-hanger idea (and I am still). My issue with it is: I doubt that stressing the precise and fragile neck of a guitar with the weight of the body is a good idea. Not to menting other risks like: the wall-hanger coming loose, guitar being exposed to dust and sunlight...On the other hand: guitars in my favorite local shop are kept on Hercules wall-hangers, and as the guys said there, they never had any problems with the instruments because of this. I am really curious about the opinion of a luthier on this. Cheers... Bence

Hello! This is a very interesting subject, good that someone raised it! I was always against the wall-hanger idea (and I am still). My issue with it is: I doubt that stressing the precise and fragile neck of a guitar with the weight of the body is a good idea. Not to menting other risks like: the wall-hanger coming loose, guitar being exposed to dust and sunlight...On the other hand: guitars in my favorite local shop are kept on Hercules wall-hangers, and as the guys said there, they never had any problems with the instruments because of this. I am really curious about the opinion of a luthier on this. Cheers... Bence

So what you are saying is that EVERY modern music store is wrong?

because in the thirty years I have been playing rarely have I seen guitars on stands in a store.

Besides if it is in the case all the time you will find yourself less likely to pick it up, and play.

I have used wall hangers exclusively for the last twenty yrs or so.

The ONLY stand I would ever consider would have to be the ones the hang it from under the headstock.

Hello Sinner13! Obviously not! [biggrin] It just seems strange to me. The neck of an instrument is a sophisticated "system" where the pressure of the strings, the truss rod plays an important role of keeping it from internal movements of the wood. Hanging up the guitar by it's neck, puts all the weight of the body on it. That's why I said I would like to know the opinion of a luthier. I am curious. Obviously shops don't want to damage the goods they are trying to sell, but I personally never even lift the guitar without supporting it at the bottom with one hand. Cheers... Bence

Hello Sinner13! Obviously not! [biggrin] It just seems strange to me. The neck of an instrument is a sophisticated "system" where the pressure of the strings, the truss rod plays an important role of keeping it from internal movements of the wood. Hanging up the guitar by it's neck, puts all the weight of the body on it. That's why I said I would like to know the opinion of a luthier. I am curious. Obviously shops don't want to damage the goods they are trying to sell, but I personally never even lift the guitar without supporting it at the bottom with one hand. Cheers... Bence

I have always been told that this is the best way, and I find that my guitars tend to remain in adjustment better if they are hung.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I look at it this way, players piece or collectors item, I consider a well built Guitars ( read: Gibson....[flapper])

works of art.

I like too look at them, as well as play them.

Besides, I wouldn't by a Rembrandt just to keep it in storage.....

[laugh]

Good topic. I wiuld say no wall hangars on vintage guitars. My father in laws '79 Les Paul Custom Silverburst is always kept in uts chainsaw case when not used, im not a big fan of wall hangars, a buddy if mine had a "64 SG Standard on a hangar and it fell (you dont want to know details) id much rather see a vintage guitar on a stand.

If you know how to put **** on walls and make it stay then your guitar will be safe. If you don't know how to put **** on walls then stick with cases and stands. I like my guitar hangers, buy the Hercules ones that lock, best investment ive made in a while. If you have a guitar with nitro finish you simply put a 100% white cotton on the contact points.

Sheesh, that wasn't so hard. Topic over.

I plan on putting most of them back up when she clears out the room and it becomes the guitar room again. My S G isn't a part of the collection, it stays in the case. The rest will be displayed again as soon as it is back to normal. I just didn't want my guitars gathering dust behind shelves and boxes.

D

IMG_20111210_074633.jpg

My guitars are to be played. The cases live in a closet in my shop. The guitars live in my studio on the wall so I can quickly get to them. Stud finder. 3" drywall screws. 4" Brazilian Cherry. No worries.

Man, nice display! But does the maid come on M-W-F to dust? [biggrin]

I can't deal with the fine dust that settles on the headstock and then is time consuming to clean. Will say that does look really easy to get to things & play. [thumbup]

Aster

Man, nice display! But does the maid come on M-W-F to dust? [biggrin]

I can't deal with the fine dust that settles on the headstock and then is time consuming to clean. Will say that does look really easy to get to things & play. [thumbup]

Aster

If you play them there won't be much dust. What dust there is will come right off with a Swiffer. Besides... It's just dust man... [thumbup]

I like the idea of hanging them on the wall for easy access, but I'd be worried about dust, or my cat trying to climb around them, and knocking one off the wall.

What I do is I keep them in their cases, but I took some photos of my guitars (a couple examples below) and I have those photos hanging on the wall in my jam room. I get to have my axes up on the wall, but I don't have to worry if there's an earthquake (not likely in Pittsburgh...haha) or if my cat decides to go exploring.

9474_100dpi.jpg

7732_100dpi.jpg

Archived