Gibson Brands Forums

Your favourite computer of all time?

FenderGuy1

My current one.

Packard Bell something or other. Don't know, don't care.

At least 4x faster at everything it does than my last one. Starts-up in 20 seconds. Huge RAM. Huge hard-drive.

P.

Kaypro II - it was a great piece of hardware and it was a time when computers were new and exciting and just seeing one was rare let alone having one you could own.

The "portable" one, with the keyboard/case lid? Those were so cool. Nowadays, they remind me of those early gigantic hand held cellular phones.

I always liked the HAL 9000 series computers although they were a bit temperamental.....

Seriously - I learnt programming on IBM AS400s but I was never great at it.

My 1st music computer was an Atari 1040, they were solid machines. Jack Tramiel (Atari founder) passed away recently.

A Commodore Amiga 3000. What an advanced piece that was when the others were doing mostly word processing & spreadsheets. At one time Disney Studios was using these for animation. I will say I prefer their old hand drawn animation of the classics, but no other computer at that time equaled them with video/graphics work. Too bad they could never break into the masses like IBM & clones with MS OS.

Aster

Guest rogerb

My current one.

Packard Bell something or other. Don't know, don't care.

At least 4x faster at everything it does than my last one. Starts-up in 20 seconds. Huge RAM. Huge hard-drive.

P.

The next one (to be decided) [rolleyes]

Since my favorite computer is one that works fast and reliably, it's kind of hard to answer with any technical accuracy. So I'll go the sentimental route.

My favorite computer was the Pentium 166MMX. It was the first one that really allowed for good photo shopping and Flight Simulators. That was the first computer that really felt modern.

Well...

Having lived through the "reboot with paper tape and switches" era...

I think every generation of machines have to be taken by whether they have appropriate capabilities for what they're to be used for.

Almost any 8-bit machine could do decent word processing and database stuff if they had storage that an idiot like me could easily interface with the main board.

The CPM machines brought some general ease at doing the above, albeit it seemed every one of 'em required a somewhat different version of CPM. Even the Apple II with the 6502 needed an add-on board that functionally was adding a new computer to the Apple's keyboard to run CPM, WordStar and dBaseII - both of which were worth their weight in compterized gold IMHO at the time.

That's also why some folks thought CPM would end up beating "PC-Dos" and its clone MS-Dos on the new 16-bit IBM.

Anyway, each generation has offered some unique potentials for folks with either different work/play needs. The question always has been a combination of overall power, built-in hardwired design for any specific need (such as music) human interface working with an individual's "head" or not, and price.

m

Archived