Gibson Brands Forums

Gave the Songwriter a stay of execution.

EuroAussie

As some of you might remember I had the intention of selling the SWD when I acquired the HB TV, as the SWD simply wasnt getting played much.

I found the rosewood tone basically too muddy, as soon as the new string sparkle wore off, and didnt appreciate the boominess and overtone when strummed, especially 16th note strumming. I tried mainly PB light gage strings. Mediums choked the bottom end too much.

However while it was up for sale I tried the 80/ 20 strings that the HB TV came stock with, which by the way sounded awful on the Bird, but when i put on PB's the Bird became .... very Birdie.

However, have to say these 80/20 strings are great fit for the Songwriter. Now, Im fully aware that 80/20's come recommended for rosewood to get through the mud and deliver better note seperation, but in the past the ones I tried I also felt sucked a lot of life from the guitar.

These ones seem different, I get overtone control, good note seperation but still feel the inherent power of the rosewood Songwriter dread.

Also, as my fingerstyle skills start improving Im finding the tone is fantastic when fingerpicked, unlike the quiet, lifeless tone I was getting when using PB strings.

I checked with Gibson as it seems they are based on the Daddario EXP 80/20's.

So, the Songwriter is staying for now and we'll see if things will change over time but I have a feeling it might stick around as I do more fingerpicking with it.

So, for those of you who get a bit frustrated with the rosewood mud, try 80/20's, in particular these Daddarios as they seem to get the balance right between clarity and warmth..

Its also a timely reminder just how important it is to try different strings on a guitar, not just brands but also different alloys as it could be the difference between it being a keeper and trade bait ..

EA

Hahaha, any excuse..... I've played the wife the same song in the past... I'm selling... only to keep it. There's something very right about all the hooks being filled, makes you feel like the world as is rightly aligned and all is well... You should throw yourself into a bit of picking with the 150. Those big boxes love a good tickling... the SJ-200TV is really great for fingerpicking.

Congrats on the stay of execution, on the upside you definitely have something to sell when some other Gibson model becomes the next one ye can't live without. I'm toying with the idea of a custom one-of for my 40th in a years time.

horses for courses

what you are saying makes sense to me . much more sense than the old adage that gibson make some dud guitars . i think they respond so differently in different hands and different set ups . bit like amy winehouse , temperamental feckers but when they are in good form they sing like nothing else :-)

i would certainly listen to someone who 'owned' a 'dud' guitar , i still dont think it can be written of as a peice of cr@p . maybe just doesnt suit their playing style . strings , picks , action , grip, attack , fingerstyle . the list of variations is endless as we all know.

i used to play a takamine ., made no difference what strings were on it or who played it . lol

glad you're having fun with the SWD

Love pickin' with the J-150 PM, its one of my faves, possibly even favourite. There is something about the clarity of maple and the warmth and rich bass notes of the Jumbo, a winning combination. You might not get the sustain of rosewood but make up in clarity and responsiveness.

Plus the narrower jumbo is quite comfy to sit on the sofa and pick away ...

btw: yes, youre right, any excuse with the Mrs ...she doesnt really care, i always remind her shes' got 30 pairs of sunglesses .,.

Hahaha, any excuse..... I've played the wife the same song in the past... I'm selling... only to keep it. There's something very right about all the hooks being filled, makes you feel like the world as is rightly aligned and all is well... You should throw yourself into a bit of picking with the 150. Those big boxes love a good tickling... the SJ-200TV is really great for fingerpicking.

Congrats on the stay of execution, on the upside you definitely have something to sell when some other Gibson model becomes the next one ye can't live without. I'm toying with the idea of a custom one-of for my 40th in a years time.

....i always remind her shes' got 30 pairs of sunglesses .,.

Normally, I'd make some shoes comments here, but I think I'm starting to look like a foot fetishist so I'll refrain.... ;) It's true though, my Mrs doesn't care either, she'll say 'is that one new?' every now and then... I then 'fess up and say 'yeah, it's nice isn't it?' and she'll just shake her head and laugh...

Yes, the sheer size of the jumbo's hide just how comfy they are to sit on a sofa with, I find mine quite easy and comfortable to sit with.

I think normal Daddario 80/20's should be fine also. Across on the AGF a lot of folks highly recommend John Pearse 80/20 strings, so Ill give these a go next when I put in an order to strings & beyond sometime soon.

EA, I'll give some 80/20's a try on the J-45 Custom. Don't like the coated strings much for me with the chemicals on them. I've got to stay away from that stuff for the most part.

Aster

I got a whole display rack filled with Black Diamond strings (guitar, banjo, mandolin, and tenor banjo) sitting here. One of these days I am going to have to find out what 50 or so year old strings straight from the box sound like.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones as well - my wife does not care what guitars come and go just so long as it does not involve the 1960

J-200 which she loves.

I have had two guitars granted a stay of execution in the past year. Thing with me is I ignore them for a bit and then I get the notion in my head that as they are not being played there is no reason to keep them around. If I sell them I can stash away some cash woith which to buy something else. But in getting them ready to be sold you tend to have to play them. Then I get slapped in the face with the reason I bought them in the first place and they ain't going nowhere.

On strings - no matter what guitar you are looking at, I would recommend trying a set of Curt Mangans. Lawdy, these are flippin' great strings. I have never heard my guitars pop or sound more lively.

I'm glad to hear it. I was a little sad to hear you wanted to get rid of it, mainly because some of the stuff I have heard with you on that guitar was exceptional.

I think there are some guitars for any of us, that don't really seem or feel like our favorites, but we do better with them as far as performance or recording. I think this may be such a guitar for you. EA + this guitar = something special to me. I can't put my finger on it though, although it is fun to wonder why it is.

If I was ever to visit the EA area of the planet and have occasion to experience the EA family mancave, I would be reaching for that one to get a taste of what it is, more so than the others, just based on what I have heard of it.

Thank you for the encouragement Stein, actually I did play the SWD today quite a bit. Mainly fingerstyle but also other styles. The 80/20's are now settling in without losing their sparke and Im please with what Im hearing, I hope this can continue as then this guitar no doubt will have a unique voice in the stable, but importantly, of the same quality as its siblings.

I was toying with looking at a Collings rosewood dread, a D2H which I like a lot, but this will be put on the back burner for now.

And Dave, yes, there is something about that, the thought of getting rid of a Gibson does give me a heavy heart, sort of feels ... quite wrong.

Thank you for the encouragement Stein, actually I did play the SWD today quite a bit. Mainly fingerstyle but also other styles. The 80/20's are now settling in without losing their sparke and Im please with what Im hearing, I hope this can continue as then this guitar no doubt will have a unique voice in the stable, but importantly, of the same quality as its siblings.

I was toying with looking at a Collings rosewood dread, a D2H which I like a lot, but this will be put on the back burner for now.

And Dave, yes, there is something about that, the thought of getting rid of a Gibson does give me a heavy heart, sort of feels ... quite wrong.

Mark, this reminds me a little of my J-2000, which is a less common Gibson model, a rosewood venetian cutaway small jumbo guitar, long scale though. It has a very different sound from many Gibsons, with that build "formula", if you will. (And it's got a red spruce top too, fwiw.)

Overall, it actually receives little playing time, and I've toyed with getting rid of it many times, but dang!! -- I find that it's a NICE guitar, when I find it back and get it out and play it. Haven't played with the band with it for some time now, and maybe that's a sign that I should let it go....? Or not.

A bit of a dilemma, I guess, but a pleasant one, in some ways.

Fred

Archived