Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone play a Tal Farlow

AlanC

I have owned a Tal Farlow for about a year now I was just wondering what others thought of them. Also I'd really like to see a few pics of others..

Here's mine

AC1_1102.jpg

I had an original one and three reissues. The '60's one had a super-skinny neck, which I hated. The others, all from the '90's, had a neck profile that seemed too full on the bass side of the neck, which I found uncomfortable after playing for a short period.

Danny W.

Give Dutchbopper an e-mail. **** is one really great guitar player and really knows the Tal Farlow. Good luck, jim in Maine

Thanks Jimmy that's what I was looking for. I just wanted to see a few others. I really like the colour of his Tal Farlow which is sort of a reddy brown sunburst.

I had an original one and three reissues. The '60's one had a super-skinny neck, which I hated. The others, all from the '90's, had a neck profile that seemed too full on the bass side of the neck, which I found uncomfortable after playing for a short period.

Danny W.

Hi Danny. Interesting comments about the shape of the neck. I played Les Pauls for the first 20 years of my playing so the neck I'm most familiar with is that neck.

For the last ten years I've really only played arch tops and have been keen to play larger scale necks. So whilst I own a 175 which I find similar to a Les Paul neck, I tend to play my Johnny Smith, the Tal Farlow and my L5. And I probably play the Tal the most as I treat it as a bit of a guitar that I practice with whereas the other two are the one's I gig with. I don't mind the Tal Farlow neck and in fact mine feels kind of small. So I don't find that I have the same problem that you experienced.

Anyway thanks for your comments Danny as they are always food for thought.

That's Viceroy Brown and comes at a premium over Sunburst. But a Natural is a new one to me. I've never seen a Tal Farlow in Natural figured maple until AlanC's.

I have a Natural ES-5 Switchmaster. If I find the money, the Viceroy Brown Tal Farlow is next on my list.

That's Viceroy Brown and comes at a premium over Sunburst. But a Natural is a new one to me. I've never seen a Tal Farlow in Natural figured maple until AlanC's.

Here's another, this one with gold hardware:

3282ee7d.jpg

Danny W.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a 2000 Tal for a very nice price. Its a fantastic guitar. I love the fact that whoever owned it before me was a real player. The fingerboard was gunked up all up and down the neck, frets evenly worn. The bridge corroded and dirty....but other than a crack in the nitro by the scroll the guitar is in fantastic shape. I know exactly what a previous poster means with the skinny necks from the 60's. I have a 67 Barney Kessel with the infamous 'pencil neck'. The neck on my Tal is perfect. Very similar to my 52 175 but obviously with the longer scale.The previous owner of my Tal died and the guitar was passed on through the family. When I found it in a local shop it had 9's on it and was set up to shred! I'm grateful it didnt cut it as a metal guitar....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived