Gibson Brands Forums

A pretty cool song my daughter likes... Pretty damn good writing

duane v

Ungghh....obvious autotune in the first 5 seconds.

[confused]

Some of your best artist used eventide harmonizers long before you and I even knew what a recording studio was, and I'll bet you wouldnt be able to hear or notice the differance.

Vocal pitch correction techniques have been around for a very long time... Certainly some of the more contemporary entertainers use more sampling than I like, but a good song is a good song....

[confused]

Some of your best artist used eventide harmonizers long before you and I even knew what a recording studio was, and I'll bet you wouldnt be able to hear or notice the differance.

Vocal pitch correction techniques have been around for a very long time... Certainly some of the more contemporary entertainers use more sampling than I like, but a good song is a good song....

Yeah I know pitch correction has happened for years, and for the most part, its ok....but most of the time autotune is extremely obvious and, to me, highly obnoxious. It was the first thing i heard in that song you posted...it slapped me in the face. It just turned me off of the song...it happens.

But as you say...a good song is a good song. I have to say I agree...but if the performance is bad or the production is lacking, it comes across less good than it is (or may have been). Plus different people have different ideas of what is a good song right?

Plus different people have different ideas of what is a good song right?

most people that write, record or produce have pretty much the same consensus as to what a good song is, regardless the genre.

generally people that casually listen to and buy music are sometimes bias to a genre, and will encapsulate themselves in that particular area mostly because their friends listen to that same type of music.... So they will only like what they like.... But that's okay too [thumbup]

most people that write, record or produce have pretty much the same consensus as to what a good song is, regardless the genre.

I agree with this statement to a certain point. When it comes to the song you posted I think it comes down to "how well the song sells". This songs is aimed to kids my youngest boy age of 12. The effort into this is more into the marketing and appeal than the actual musicianship. It's no different when we were that age, I loved the Monkees and the Partridge Family. I'm proud to admit that I was a card carrying member of the Partridge Family Fan Club. It was obvious that they were more celebrity than actual musicians.

However, I am proud to announce that I turn my 12 year old boy onto the band Tool today. I'm excited that "I Carley" is soon to be history in the Big Bill house. [thumbup]

I'm a huge fan of the first Maroon 5 CD. It was polished and raw at the same time and they could pull it off live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWCxdcGfqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otyNzh7iRpM

Their latest stuff, "Move like Jagger" and such, just hasn't done a lot for me. This is a good tune and I like it but I would have liked it more with fewer studio tricks. They have the talent, they don't need all the tricks.

I thought it was ok. I wouldn't buy it though.

I like well made music and won't like it just because I like the artist. Hence my view on the new Bonamassa album!

I've just bought the new Joe Walsh album, but I've not listened to it yet, and I do find that You Tube brings me new artists all the time. I've found people on there that I would never have found otherwise. Richie Kotzen to name one. He's great.

Guest farnsbarns

What's this? Duane, mods aren't supposed to troll, I thought Steve was up to mischief but it really was you. This is a joke right?

Maroon 5 is surely not my cup of tea, but I definitely see and hear the talent. Not only writing, but the performance on the records.

It may be a good arrangement, but I think the "processing" is going in the wrong direction, not just for them, but music recording in general, but ESPECIALLY them.

I think whenever something is processed, or over-mixed, it takes what is recorded farther away from the performance of the musician. And in a lot of ways, with the proliferation of computers and MP3's replacing quiality playback, as LISTENERS we loose a lot. And when a musician has actual talent, less of it is heard when the playback is dumbed down, and the same applies to the modern practices of lesser quality studio equipment that might make recording easier, but is of actual lesser quality in reproducing what ACTUALLY occurs when a musician performs.

Marron 5 actually has talent that is worth recording or capturing the best way possible. It is such that the more pure the recording, the better it will sound. For musicians that suck, processing and mixing the hell out of it can make them sound better than they are, but these guys from what I have heard are not in that catagory.

If I liked them, I would be listening to them all the time cause they got something of talent beyong gimmicks or hipness.

Song = fine

Recording = all the crap I hate rolled up into a big fat roll of "I'm changing the channel now"

I'd probably enjoy it fine if he just played it and sang it, but that vocal sound is an immediate turn off for me too. I'm not anti-technology, that sound just makes me wretch. Gut reaction. Can't help it.

Pretty poor song writing if you ask me. I think this song doesn't make sense lyrically and musically. The words of the song are real downers, matched up with a bright, poppy musical arrangement. I don't get it. [thumbdn]

Actually, i think some bands can pull off what you talk about here....i think of it as contrast...happy music, depressing lyrics or vice versa. It can be a cool tool to use when songwriting.

That said, I still don't like what Duane posted....but its less about the songwriting than it is about the production and timbre of that dude's voice.

Your daughter likes it?

I suspect you and to explain to her what a "Pay phone" is.

Neat little ditty. \:D/ Just the kind of thing little girls love! [love]

Oh, for crying out loud!

I was listening to this really cool little song while I'm keying this response. Then some moron form the big C had to inject foul mouthedness to lyrics. [bored]

I'm done with this song. What a piece of horse dung.

[cursing] Good writing? Feh! [sneaky]

Nope I won't be recommending this song to anyone... of any age. [-(

I hope you were just yankin' our collective chains Duane.

Archived