Gibson Brands Forums

LG 1 LG 2 LG 3 questions

DCBirdMan

I thought it was hog at first too but I enlarged the picture and looked real close. I'm not sure why they stained the top to look like the back? That is a new one for me.

It may have been a correction but you aren't buying my book on Gibsons...... I'm buying yours!! Hope I can catch you on one of your book tour dates.

John,

It looks like the tour will be coming to a music store near you in May!

John,

It looks like the tour will be coming to a music store near you in May!

I'll be there with banner J-45 in hand. Maybe you could date it better than I. It doesn't have an FON so I am kind of lost on when it was built. I can't seem to make too much sense out of the features either. Being a banner guitar it is a bit above my pay grade.

There is an early 60's LG1 (sn 3XXXXX) for sale at a local guitar shop here in NJ for around $1400. No steal.

It has the larger thicker (in this case not better) pickguard and what appears to be a plastic reverse belly bridge.

It sounds real nice and is in mint condition. Since I have a nice LG2 i dont think im interested in buying but just wondering if there is a finish under the pickguard since removing it would be a big plus...at least in my mind. I know swapping the bridge is no problem. Thanks.

Hi Fred. I can't figure out what you're asking. Are you thinking about buying for parts swapping? Owning an LG2 pretty much would negate any interest I would have in an LG1.

no. Just thinking that the big pickguard and plastic saddle detracts from a real nice looking LG1 guitar. This must be an early 60's model as it has a beautiful sunburst and otherwise looks very fine. My question is if the pickguard is removed, (to hypothetically replace with a teardrop) does the guitar top have a finish under there? and if only glued with hide glue could the finish be buffed out? I know there is bare wood in some cases under a flattop glued-on pickguard. Thanks

Gotcha'. I actually prefer a guitar that has no guard at all. When the so called p'guard crack on my 50's J45 needed repair, I saw that the guard was beginning to lift and decided to soften the glue and peek underneath. If it had come up easily and the finish was intact I would have considered leaving it off. It didn't work well and the sunburst underneath was indeed present. I had my luthier dude resecure it after he repaired the crack. I always felt that the pointed oversize guard inhibited the top and tone, but I was told by some of the other geniuses here that it's inconsequential.

Archived