Gibson Brands Forums

Cant decide what to do with the trim

Rabs

So finally I have paid off for my 2008 Standard (as most of you will probably know by now :))

And now its mine I want to make a few small changes.. BUT I cant decide.. I have narrowed it down to 2 options which I have mocked up... But just cant make my mind up.. What do you reckon?

this is how it looks now

LPSTDWRCH-Finish-Shot-jpg.jpg

and these are the mock ups of possible finishes

sh-Shot-jpg.jpg

sh-Smhot-jpg.jpg

It basicly comes down too.. if i reomve the pickup covers I will keep the white rings or it will look too dark.. if not I will put the black ones on.. I also have a Classic that has uncovered pups so I guess having one with covers gives me something that looks different... BUT ive also always quite liked the uncovered look.. Hmm what to do.. I know its down to me, but just cant decide so thought id see what other people think.

It's such a beautiful wine red and looks great in it's original configuration it would be a shame to mod it.

Glad it's all yours now it's paid off, it's a good feeling when there is nothing left to pay.

Enjoy it modded or not.

Yeah, don't put on those black speed knobs! [bored] of course it is your guitar, so make it how you want it. It just looks so good stock, why change? Do you not like the pickups? When you go changing parts, keep in mind....things happen! Screwdrivers slip, holes strip, finishes get scratched, solder spits and sputters......

Personally, I don't like the black plastic or exposed double blacks. If that were mine (any pictures of the actual guitar?), looks wise, I would leave the creme plastic, change the knobs to reflectors, change the truss rod cover to a blank historic TRC, change the bridge to a Faber ABR-N.

Personally, I don't like the black plastic or exposed double blacks. If that were mine (any pictures of the actual guitar?), looks wise, I would leave the creme plastic, change the knobs to reflectors, change the truss rod cover to a blank historic TRC, change the bridge to a Faber ABR-N.

This is the actual guitar... I love that you can see the knots of the wood under the striping..

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

And thanks for all the replys guys... Interesting answers..

And its not that I dont like it, its just that I like uncovered pups... always have done... BUT this one has me confused.. I do think it looks nice with the silver covers but not with the white :) lol I know its all silly really. Its a beatiful guitar whatever and im lucky to have one..

Yeah, don't put on those black speed knobs! [bored] of course it is your guitar, so make it how you want it. It just looks so good stock, why change? Do you not like the pickups? When you go changing parts, keep in mind....things happen! Screwdrivers slip, holes strip, finishes get scratched, solder spits and sputters......

Yes this is why im not sure.. I mean none of the changes will be that hard, im not swapping pickups out or anything.., Just thinking about removing the covers so no soldering needed :) (you can remove them really easily as the join is very thin, ive seen people do it on youtube with a razor blade). So it can all be put back easy if i want

Personally, I'd go with the covered p/u and black plastic with the speed knobs, I think that looks really good. I hate white plastic trim, but that's just me. Just did something similar to mine.

mods to my LP

Either way, stellar guitar.

Yeah nice mods on your too... thats also a looker :)

I think this may be the way to go. I kinda like the look with the plain truss rod cover and removing the pickup selector ring.. The more you can see of that top the better :)

sh-knkt-jpg.jpg

I think this may be the way to go. I kinda like the look with the plain truss rod cover and removing the pickup selector ring.. The more you can see of that top the better :)

sh-knkt-jpg.jpg

Nice. I like it. [drool][thumbup]

I've always preferred 100% original instruments, so I would keep everything unchanged if you ask me.

[rolleyes]

Well I am using all official Gibson parts so it will still be all Gibson.. and all the things im changing can be changed back easily... I intend to keep this guitar so making these small adjustments makes it more me :) (rather than buying another guitar with the extra little bits I want). I mainly got this one for the neck (which is on only about two or three models) and that awesome wine red AA top :)

Nice. I like it. [drool][thumbup]

To the OP, I always keep the original parts safely tucked away and I believe I would go with this look as does Vega1. Very sharp and it is your own. I would also change the the tuners buttons to the regular grover bean shape. Just my personal vision. Gorgeous if you left it alone, better if it is customized (reversibly), to your liking!

Glenn

To the OP, I always keep the original parts safely tucked away and I believe I would go with this look as does Vega1. Very sharp and it is your own. I would also change the the tuners buttons to the regular grover bean shape. Just my personal vision. Gorgeous if you left it alone, better if it is customized (reversibly), to your liking!

Glenn

Thanks... [thumbup]

Yeah I was very torn with this.. I keep changing my mind every thirty minutes :)

I think though that the one above will be the way I go.. More minimalist and as you say sharper, which is where I was heading. Im just waiting for the new truss rod cover and I will do it all at once.

Thanks... [thumbup]

Yeah I was very torn with this.. I keep changing my mind every thirty minutes :)

I think though that the one above will be the way I go.. More minimalist and as you say sharper, which is where I was heading. Im just waiting for the new truss rod cover and I will do it all at once.

No prob! I'm waiting on the chrome covers for my 50's Studio Tribute. Good luck!

Glenn

Nice! [thumbup]

The black trim looks so much better than white IMHO.

Cheers :rolleyes: I love it... as I say ive never done changes to a Standard before.. but this one seemed to be crying out for it... all of those bits only cost about £20, all proper Gibson parts.. Makes such a difference with such small changes :)

Archived