Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Buxom

What song do you know best?

For playing, whether it be guitar, bass, drums, or whatever.

It just comes to me effortlessly now.

My own, of course......And, "Since I've Been Loving You"......Note per note.......

Strangely..."Cumbersome" by Seven Mary Three, not at all my cup of tea but my friends I jam with asked me to learn it for some reason the freaking song stuck in my mind so well I can play it without even thinking.

The ones I "know best" are my own Blues instrumental improvs.

Cover songs come & go w/me, in direct relation to how often I play them.

right now i'm on a "Howlin' Wolf" kick.... his 2 most often used guitarists were Charlie Waters & Charlie Williams....Wolf played many guitar rythyms himself, as well as his amazing talent w/the Blues Harp.

to answer your question, the song I CURRENTLY know best is either:

Howlin' Wolf- Change my Way

or

Howlin' Wolf- Highway 49

also in my current repitore' of "known best" are

Howlin' Wolf- How Many More Years

SRV- Hug ya,Kiss ya,Squeeze ya ('til my arms fall off)

I really enjoy adding an improvised solo to the Wolf songs that have little to no solo.

When I grow bored w/my current lineup i'm going to learn some Muddy Waters songs, and tackle a few more from the late great SRV....

Voodoo Child (slight return),Spanish Castle Magic,Red House-all by J.M.H.-I'm comfortable with all 3 but Voodoo Child presents the biggest challenges,especially with the bend and hammer-ons of the G string near the end,your timing has to be impeccable or else you'll loose it.

If I may slip two into the mix...

Wild Thing [biggrin] Huge fun and a choice of Troggs and Hendrix interpretations

Not Fade Away [biggrin] Also fun and a homage to Bo Diddley via Buddy Holly and the Stones... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Born to be Wild - John Kay and Steppen Wolf-the band I had up north played mostly biker runs,bars and partys.You dont ever want to repeat a song but when a giant packed biker says play Born to be Wild again or I'll kill the whole band!You definatly play it again.

The Helion\Electric eye - Judas Priest, usually we opened with it.

Hard one to answer really, I let other people tell me that but I have some favorites in my song list's. Likely my own song's but some of the covers hit home for me too.

I apologize.

I don't have an answer to this question.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be "It's Not The Way You Rock". (Dirty Looks)

C'mon now Axe, There's an answer. Think about which song you've been able to thoughtlessly rip out for the longest amount of time. Forget your current abilities and think back to when you'd only been playing a year or so.

Sure, I know a radio station full of songs like the back of my hand today. But Twenty Years ago is a different story.

I must say, diversity is at an all time high [lol]

But, nice picks, guys. Anything Hendrix would probably take me years to master. (well, the verse parts for All Along The Watch Tower took me all of 20 minutes, but the solos seem terrifying)

I must say, diversity is at an all time high [lol]

But, nice picks, guys. Anything Hendrix would probably take me years to master. (well, the verse parts for All Along The Watch Tower took me all of 20 minutes, but the solos seem terrifying)

Stop thinking about every note Jimi's playing in his solo and look/listen to what he's doing to the scale he's playing. Also, you'll find the same licks that are in jimi's "written" solos are in Jimi's improv, so take in his licks before you take on one of his solos.

I use the word "Written" very loosely in this context.

Hmmmmm...

Depends on style to an extent...

Just diddling with blues and "old time" progressions and stuff with or without words that I tend to forget - and tended to forget even when I was 19. Fingerpickin' "When you and I were young, Maggie."

But likely something like "St. James Infirmary" is about as branded on the brain both lyric and a dozen styles of guitar playing... Or "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out."

And yeah stuff I mentioned was older than dirt before I was born, so it's not entirely that I'm older than dirt that I picked 'em as "know best."

m

Pretty much every Rush tune until Grace Under Pressure. Studied them note for note. I did learn Caravan and BU2B from their new album.