Gibson Brands Forums

What song do you know best?

Buxom

If I may slip two into the mix...

Wild Thing [biggrin] Huge fun and a choice of Troggs and Hendrix interpretations

Not Fade Away [biggrin] Also fun and a homage to Bo Diddley via Buddy Holly and the Stones... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

RIP Buddy :( i still miss him other than JMH

Stop thinking about every note Jimi's playing in his solo and look/listen to what he's doing to the scale he's playing. Also, you'll find the same licks that are in jimi's "written" solos are in Jimi's improv, so take in his licks before you take on one of his solos.

I use the word "Written" very loosely in this context.

I don't know any scales.

Hello! "The loner" (Gary Moore's version) and "Green Manalishi" (both original and Judas Priest's version) are the songs I can play anytime. My biggest sorrow is that I could never learn "Mr. Crowley" by Randy Rhoads. :D Cheers... Bence

Guest rogerb

I played guitar with Johnny Carver for many years, he had the country cover of Tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree. I can play it in my sleep, in fact I think I did one night after a few adult beverages! [scared]

I find this intriguing.

Most folks my age, and older, almost anywhere in the US at least, would first remember a batch of songs that date back at minimum into the 19th century. Material a century or far more senior in age to "us."

Note that nobody here mentioned "Christmas" songs and such. Greensleeves in either Christmas or ... secular ... versions?

Do we no longer have that foundational bit of music that "we" had when I was a kid, any more than we have the same literary foundation "we" had when I was a kid?

And when I say "literary" I'm not talking about Kant and Camus, Aristotle and Plutarch - I'm talking basic tales and fables and stories and music that "everyone" knew...

m

Well Milo I was thinking in terms of guitar. Piano is a completely different story. For piano the first thing that pops into my head is Gershwin. I do know all the Christmas music too. When I first got Finale I wrote a jazzy version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for fun (did it to learn how to use Finale). Went a bit nuts with 11th chords. Note that the first two bass notes are actually accidents (punched in the wrong notes), but I kinda like how they sounded so I left them in. Gives a weird contrast to the melody. Sometimes you just go with the flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpeFOHpkGKE&feature=plcp

Hmmmm....

I must screwed up my original reply.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking in terms of general music, not just guitar stuff.

One interesting thing to me is that anyone from about age 50 up to my age - and probably a lotta younger folk - is how they recite the alphabet with exactly the same rhythm as the Mickey Mouse Club song...

As for your Rudolph...

It kinda reminds me of they piano player who worked with Cheryl Ladd in her early voical career in my part of the world. The guy could do literally endless jazz variations of the Mickey Mouse Club theme - and even keep most of an audience listening to it. Sadly he's among those young musicians who never got known much.

m

Happy birthday song - Played it so many times I think my guitar can play it by itself. Made the mistake of playing it once for somebody in the room that was having a birthday after that request after request damn I hate that stupid song.

It's hard to say which song do you know best? after playing for over 30 years i know a lot's of them and can play them without even thinking anymore. so i'd say the ones I play the most are

1. She Talks to Angles - Black Crowes

2. Romeo and Juliet - Dire straights

My Favorite to play and sing is probably either Just Breathe by Pearl Jam - I love performing that song. Or John the Revelator another song I wouldn't feel the day was complete if I didn't play it at least once.

Sure you do, you just don't know it.

Ya know those shapes you play when you do the intro to Voodoo Chile, and the licks that are played between lyrics. Those are scales.

I don't know how to play any scales, or much of what a scale actually is. I've got almost no technical knowledge. I can't even name the strings.

Yeah.... I don't think that regardless of style you are interested in, that you're a guitar player in any sense if you can't chord along to "Happy Birthday," frustrating as it might be in some venues. <grin>

It ain't like you're trying to emulate Segovia or Hendrix. It's just making an audience happy. Even if they ain't payin' and it's a backyard barbecue, it's a nice thing to do that people remember.

m

Archived