Gibson Brands Forums

sg 61 reissue vs custom shop sg reissue

Nightspore68

Has anyone played both the Gibson USA '61 reissue SG and the Custom Shop reissue SG? If so, how did they compare?

I'm a bit worried the USA model might have small quality problems like my old SG standard did - tone stickers came off knobs and a burr in the saddle ate through a G string a day until I got it fixed. Maybe the CS model is worth the extra money?

Has anyone played both the Gibson USA '61 reissue SG and the Custom Shop reissue SG? If so, how did they compare?

I'm a bit worried the USA model might have small quality problems like my old SG standard did - tone stickers came off knobs and a burr in the saddle ate through a G string a day until I got it fixed. Maybe the CS model is worth the extra money?

I haven't played a Custom Shop SG but I do have an SG 61 Reissue and it's fantastic. I am very fussy with my guitars and this one came from the shop in perfect condition. I had to buy it mail order so the guys in the shop checked it before sending it out and I couldn't fault the quality. The factory set-up, in particular, was spot on and the action was how I like it - 2mm at the 12th fret low E and 1.5mm high E at the 12th fret (I normally have 2mm at the high E but 1.5mm is fine and no buzzes so I left it how it was). I neck relief on mine is 0.09mm and buzz free - although someone who picks heavy could play my guitar and it would buzz like crazy. :)

The stickers on the tone and volume look as though they are well stuck on, mind you I don't touch the tone controls and the only control I would tweak is the bridge volume. No burrs on the saddles either - as I said I'm very fussy and the first thing I do with all my guitars when I get them is to change strings. I inspected the saddles and they are perfect. No rough fret ends or anything like that.

If you have the money then you should go for a CS, but I honestly couldn't fault the 61 Reissue.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I will definitely check out a '61 reissue. I was in GC last weekend and I played a custom shop SG, this weird gold sparkle one, very odd looking. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't worth $3k to me. I tried one of the SG Special 70s Tribute ones out of curiosity and loved it. It's kind of odd looking - satin finish and small inlays - but tone-wise and playability-wise it was a real bargain ($849). I got one. But I think there's still room in my inventory for the '61, so I'll check it out next time. CoreyT, that's really pretty; I want one like that.

While I'm here, let me see if I can post a shot of the 70s tribute...

front.jpg

I know it's kind of a pug, but I like anyway!

Truth is, if they tapered the horn tips on the Historic/Custom Shop like they do (correctly) on the '61 RI (or just use the '61 RI body as-is aside from the inner-top-cutaway bevel from the Historic/CS), along with a PROPER "RED" finish and the curiously-absent-in-the-USA-'61 Maestro vibrola, the Historic/CS one would be a truly great guitar. BUT, as Gibson has ignored these few tiny tweaks to turn them into REAL "reissues"...

In all honesty, aside from the lack of a Maestro, the USA '61 is actually MORE "historically accurate" in ways the Historic lacks (and vice-versa on a couple of things too), and is a freakin' MONSTER to play. I own both a CS one-off (chrome parts, Maestro, REAL red/cherry finish) and a 2001 '61 RI with Maestro (which, why they won't at LEAST offer this one again as a Limited Run guitar I have no idea...especially when you have the Trucks and Tweedy models out there for awesome prices---I want a new '61 w/Maestro for under $1800!!!!), and honestly you can tell by the play-wear the USA gets more in-hands time than the CS one. I upgraded the Historic/CS to Burstbucker Pros, but previous to that, they sounded almost identical through my amps---not "worth $1500 more" different. And based on the ones I've seen lately have been both the gloss AND "worn" 2012 '61 RI's that I've seen at my local GC (which is amazing, because they usually don't keep a decent SG stock), they're doing the best job ever on the '61 Reissue's body design (slightly more symmetry like the originals, great beveling, actually RED "cherry" finish on the gloss one and those nice thinner horn tips; only noticable difference between them and the originals is the upper horn is slightly more "pointy" on the reissue), and the fit and finish on the gloss one I've seen up there was a lot better than the past couple years (are they at least listening to QC complaints??? It appears maybe so), so I say save yourself a little money without regretting your purchase and go for the USA '61 RI. It's really in almost every sense "every bit as good as and maybe even better than" the Historic/CS ones, and you will be happy.

H

Truth is, if they tapered the horn tips on the Historic/Custom Shop like they do (correctly) on the '61 RI (or just use the '61 RI body as-is aside from the inner-top-cutaway bevel from the Historic/CS), along with a PROPER "RED" finish and the curiously-absent-in-the-USA-'61 Maestro vibrola, the Historic/CS one would be a truly great guitar. BUT, as Gibson has ignored these few tiny tweaks to turn them into REAL "reissues"...

In all honesty, aside from the lack of a Maestro, the USA '61 is actually MORE "historically accurate" in ways the Historic lacks (and vice-versa on a couple of things too), and is a freakin' MONSTER to play. I own both a CS one-off (chrome parts, Maestro, REAL red/cherry finish) and a 2001 '61 RI with Maestro (which, why they won't at LEAST offer this one again as a Limited Run guitar I have no idea...especially when you have the Trucks and Tweedy models out there for awesome prices---I want a new '61 w/Maestro for under $1800!!!!), and honestly you can tell by the play-wear the USA gets more in-hands time than the CS one. I upgraded the Historic/CS to Burstbucker Pros, but previous to that, they sounded almost identical through my amps---not "worth $1500 more" different. And based on the ones I've seen lately have been both the gloss AND "worn" 2012 '61 RI's that I've seen at my local GC (which is amazing, because they usually don't keep a decent SG stock), they're doing the best job ever on the '61 Reissue's body design (slightly more symmetry like the originals, great beveling, actually RED "cherry" finish on the gloss one and those nice thinner horn tips; only noticable difference between them and the originals is the upper horn is slightly more "pointy" on the reissue), and the fit and finish on the gloss one I've seen up there was a lot better than the past couple years (are they at least listening to QC complaints??? It appears maybe so), so I say save yourself a little money without regretting your purchase and go for the USA '61 RI. It's really in almost every sense "every bit as good as and maybe even better than" the Historic/CS ones, and you will be happy.

H

Now I'm even more intrigued by the Gibson USA '61 reissue. I will check it out post haste!

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I will definitely check out a '61 reissue. I was in GC last weekend and I played a custom shop SG, this weird gold sparkle one, very odd looking. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't worth $3k to me. I tried one of the SG Special 70s Tribute ones out of curiosity and loved it. It's kind of odd looking - satin finish and small inlays - but tone-wise and playability-wise it was a real bargain ($849). I got one. But I think there's still room in my inventory for the '61, so I'll check it out next time. CoreyT, that's really pretty; I want one like that.

While I'm here, let me see if I can post a shot of the 70s tribute...

front.jpg

I know it's kind of a pug, but I like anyway!

I love the white pickguard and pickup rings on this one and the Ebony. And this picture make me like this guitar even more.

H

Agreed. I've owned both and preferred the 61' USA reissue. I liked the neck better on it. They also sound as close to the same as you can get, and saving a little money is a good thing. It's easy to get caught up in owning the "best top of the line" in anything, and the CS models are hyped as such, and the certificate of authenticity makes it "official", but this is just hype imo.

I also thought the QC was better on the 61'. I've seen several CS models that had finish bleed on the binding, and gaps between the neck and plastic cover above the neck pickup. My CS also had some overspray from the neck onto the nut. I was able to razor blade it off, and it is unnoticeable now, but still it shows bad QC. Just my experience. This doesn't mean it happens on every guitar.

Archived