Gibson Brands Forums

Modding 50's Tribute Studio - Use some advice!

glennc

Hello,

Finally went and picked up a 50's Studio Tribute, gold and dark back. Guitar feels very good. IMHO it sound a bit too high. Also the tone controls seem to go muddy, again IMHO, compared to other lp's. I was wondering what route I should go with modding it. It appears as if the circuit board needs to be pulled, all new pots and caps. I have some spraque .022 uFs. Or should I go with one of the PIO types. I am wondering if the standard replacement cap values are the same for the 490R and 498T pickups. Appreciate any help!

Glenn

Hello,

Finally went and picked up a 50's Studio Tribute, gold and dark back. Guitar feels very good. IMHO it sound a bit too high. Also the tone controls seem to go muddy, again IMHO, compared to other lp's. I was wondering what route I should go with modding it. It appears as if the circuit board needs to be pulled, all new pots and caps. I have some spraque .022 uFs. Or should I go with one of the PIO types. I am wondering if the standard replacement cap values are the same for the 490R and 498T pickups. Appreciate any help!

Glenn

Personally I think its the pickups... Ive played many studios over the years and the only ones I like are with P90s (sound wise).. I find that pickup combo a bit weak.. So maybe rather than go for the electronics just swap the pickups out to Burstbuckers or something? (maybe 57s if you like a more mellow sound).

When you say the sound is too high, do you mean bright? You could also try as a quick fix, lowering the pickup height... As for pots and stuff I dont know so much about that so someone else will have to chime in on that.

Good luck.. and let us know which way you go :) [thumbup]

Personally I think its the pickups... Ive played many studios over the years and the only ones I like are with P90s (sound wise).. I find that pickup combo a bit weak.. So maybe rather than go for the electronics just swap the pickups out to Burstbuckers or something? (maybe 57s if you like a more mellow sound).

When you say the sound is too high, do you mean bright? You could also try as a quick fix, lowering the pickup height... As for pots and stuff I dont know so much about that so someone else will have to chime in on that.

Good luck.. and let us know which way you go :) [thumbup]

Howdy Rabs,

Yes, bright is the more accurate description. I changed the pots and caps in a LP Traditional with a 57 and a 57+ because it was too bright for my tastes. Plus I don't want to spend a bunch right off the bat. Figured this would be a cheaper way to effect a change and it might be enough? Fingers crossed! Will consider the pickup height too, thanks!

Glenn

Archived