Gibson Brands Forums

Its Been A While recording (now with Singer!)

EuroAussie

So we finally had a chance to finish the recording, we did a few takes but like this one the most, it was actually done as a single track rather than seperating the guitar and vocals.

We also decided to tune down half a step, as per original and also easier on the ol' vocal chords.

I actually recorded it this time with the Songwriter, to show the difference 80/20 stirngs make. I think with these strings the mud is gone, there is strong note seperation and lots of sparkle, in other words its finally balanced.

Hope you like it, looking forward to giving it a run at our next DoubeShot gig !

Rock on.

EA

BK - Actually we decided we'll do the next gig tuned down half a step as a lot of the rocky country stuff we do sounds great when down in that tuning (e.g aaron lewis, kenny wayne shepherd etc ..) and just capo up if required.

Plus it makes the Gibbys even more gruntier ..... :-)

Nicely done, EA!

So the singer turned up and said: "Nope - wrong key!" Can we do it in Z?"

Then EA: 'Well we can turn all these knobs on the computer down here, and here, then here ...."

BluesKing777.

Cheers fellas, will pass on your complements to the singing prima donna, he's a good bloke actually. Songwriter sounds alrigth with the 80/20's, doesn't it ?

Ha Ha Ha!

The singing prima donna!

I nearly swallowed my cup of coffee whole...thanks - from here on known as the SPD!

Ha! I like it....

I spent some time backing an SPD, and now I think about it, I shall start a thread!

BluesKing777.

It was a very imple set up actually. Acoustic into a Snowball condenser mike into Audicity and into mp3. No effects or processing on guitar or vacals.

These 80/20's bring the guitar alive, don't they? Becuase other 80/20's really sucked the life out of this guitar, much like was your experience also if I recall.

It was a very imple set up actually. Acoustic into a Snowball condenser mike into Audicity and into mp3. No effects or processing on guitar or vacals.

These 80/20's bring the guitar alive, don't they? Becuase other 80/20's really sucked the life out of this guitar, much like was your experience also if I recall.

Have a set of JP 80/20s on the J45 now & they sound really good. What brand of 80/20s did you use?

Yes, I used Elixir nanoweb 80/20 like I used on my Taylor 814ce. Good on the Taylor, awful on my SWD. I have D'addario exp 17 PB's on my J45 custom and love them but may give 80/20 a try. Do you have experience with Pyramids or Curt Mangams? I've heard great reports of both.

Yes, I tried Elxiers on the SWD, however PB's and I also thought they sucked a lot of tone out of the guitar. But I feel that Elixirs suck a heluva lot of tone out of any guitar, not my cup of tea. I like the EXP PB's and they sounded good on the Songwriter, but only for a short while. As soon as they started to wear a bit the mud arrived. Curt Managans Ive not had a chance to try but I do use the Pyramids and along with DR Sunbeams are my two favourite strings for the mahogany guitar. Infact I have the Pyramids now on the SJ and HB TV. They sound and feel really good on these guitars, and last a good while to boot !

Yes, I used Elixir nanoweb 80/20 like I used on my Taylor 814ce. Good on the Taylor, awful on my SWD. I have D'addario exp 17 PB's on my J45 custom and love them but may give 80/20 a try. Do you have experience with Pyramids or Curt Mangams? I've heard great reports of both.

Archived