Gibson Brands Forums

Have you guys seen a Firebird like this?

Twiz

The Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh currently has a pretty cool exhibition on guitars and the science that makes them work. Today my girlfriend and I went down to check it out. They had a bunch of instruments (both acoustic and electric, as well as instruments that were ancestors to the guitar) on display. One caught my eye, and I can't figure it out. -The Firebird pictured below. Have any of you guys seen one with a headstock like that? I figured maybe someone put a SG neck on a Firebird body, but the guitar didn't look like it was re-finished or anything. Maybe they made 'em like that at some point? Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.

DSC_0699_100dpi.jpg

I actually want a Firebird now. Looks so much better than an actual one's headstock. Though, I'd to the white tipped Klusons on it.

You should have gotten more angles of it ;-;

I am one of a few that helped build that guitar.

We also put the standard headstock on many other models, and put an Explorer HS on an SG, an many other weird things.

Proof??

I recall seeing Johnny Winters with a 'bird like that one but I forget the story behind it,I believe it was in an issue of Vintage Guitar Mag a while back,Ill have to look it up and try to find it.'

I thought they were neck through designs.

Yep, I didn't think of that when I first saw the guitar yesterday. That had me even more intrigued. The way they had the display case set up, I couldn't really get any other good angles of the guitar. The regular Gibson headstock on this Firebird makes me wonder if that is where they got the inspiration for the RD Artist design. Hmmmm... [confused]

I recall seeing Johnny Winters with a 'bird like that one but I forget the story behind it,I believe it was in an issue of Vintage Guitar Mag a while back,Ill have to look it up and try to find it.'

I looked for some photos today before I left for work. I'll keep doing some research. If anybody has one, I bet Johnny Winters does.

It probably had something to do with a Fender lawsuit. There's a lot of design variation in early/mid 60's Firebird models for that reason.

I don't think there was a lawsuit, I think it was a politely worded letter between gentlemen that Leo didn't even want to write and wouldn't have if Forest hadn't leaned on him to do it.

But I could be wrong, I may be mis-remembering it.

rct

Ok, so I figured it out. A friend of mine knows someone who helped install the exhibition at the Science Center. Turns out that guitar did/does belong to Johnny Winter, and it is original. Haha. I wish they would have posted that info in the display! Mystery solved.

Ok, so I figured it out. A friend of mine knows someone who helped install the exhibition at the Science Center. Turns out that guitar did/does belong to Johnny Winter, and it is original. Haha. I wish they would have posted that info in the display! Mystery solved.

That could actually be Johnny Winter's guitar. From what I have read its an SG headstock replaced after a break.

Archived