Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ebony Fingerboard Warping!

Nearing the end of an extensive restoration of my 1968 Les Paul Custom, having completed the electronics and the tuning machines, I noticed the fingerboard had some gaps in the grain between the 16th fret and the end of the fretboard. I added some lemon oil to the ebony fingerboard, several coats until it was slow to gas off.

When I restrung, some buzzes had developed. The relief between the first and the neck frets was essentially zero – it moved, but, like, a 64th. I imagine the oil swelled the neck enough to add the back tension. The truss rod was free wheeling...

Do any of you have experience with a similar dry fingerboard situation? I have lived in the desert Western Colorado and Arizona for 2 decades, but I always keep the case shut tight. Anyway the damage is done to the extent that it is damage.

It seems the oil has become its own problem. The wood splits were relatively innocuous. Is a different oil available, perhaps?

Thanks,

Gilgamesh

Nearing the end of an extensive restoration of my 1968 Les Paul Custom, having completed the electronics and the tuning machines, I noticed the fingerboard had some gaps in the grain between the 16th fret and the end of the fretboard. I added some lemon oil to the ebony fingerboard, several coats until it was slow to gas off.

When I restrung, some buzzes had developed. The relief between the first and the neck frets was essentially zero – it moved, but, like, a 64th. I imagine the oil swelled the neck enough to add the back tension. The truss rod was free wheeling...

Do any of you have experience with a similar dry fingerboard situation? I have lived in the desert Western Colorado and Arizona for 2 decades, but I always keep the case shut tight. Anyway the damage is done to the extent that it is damage.

It seems the oil has become its own problem. The wood splits were relatively innocuous. Is a different oil available, perhaps?

Thanks,

Gilgamesh

Did you get a chance to measure relief before you restrung?

RE: Different oil, I guess the jury is not totally out on using Lemon oil, apparently getting pure 100% lemon oil is debatable. There are a few threads here about that. But anyway I usually use this, maybe once a year on my Fretboards. http://gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

Archived