Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here own a Martin D-28?

I have a D-28 12. Great guitar. I'd like to trade it for a D-18 - a 2012 model.

I do have a question about the thumb stop on them below the headstock, Do they get in the way or are a problem?

It never bothered me. I wish Gibson had stuck with volutes to prevent head stock breakage.

I've seen Marty Stuart and The Fabulous Superlatives in concert a couple of times and each time I chatted with Marty and his side-kick Kenny Vaughn for a short while after the show.They both used old D-28s in near mint condition.I told Marty and Kenny how great their old Martins sounded and how I longed to have one of my own one day,to which Marty answered..."Everyone should have at least one Martin."If I were to buy a D-28,I'd buy one from one of the vintage guitar dealers listed in Vintage Guitar Magazine.You can get nice 60s D-28s with Brazillian rosewood in them for just about the same price as a brand new one but much much better sounding.

Twenty some years ago, a friend and I each bought a new Martin. I got the black Jumbo (J40 M-BK), my buddy got a D-28. The model he got was the HD-28, had herringbone binding and an aging toner on the top. Looks WAY cooler than the standard D-28 (which is a super guitar on it's own). If they still have that model, I'd look seriously at it.

And for a good price on Martin, check Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Mi. They mail order all over the world, and were one of Martin's top dealers at least back then, and they discounted something like 40% off list (guessing that hasn't changed, though you'll have to verify it). Been shopping there since the 1970's, though it's been some time since I've been back to Lansing now (and I wan't active in music for over a decade).

I own a HD-28, great guitar! Everybody asks which is better, the Gibby or the Martin? As a fellow musician once said to me, the Martin has the Grand Piano sound whereas the Gibby has the 'woody' sound! My opinion, get one of each! They're both good! Pertaining to the Martin, McCartney had his D-28 for years. Final note, let your ears judge.

Hmmmm....

Martin puts its name on an off-shore built particleboard guitar and it's great and Gibson puts an Epiphone name on an all-wood or even less expensive laminated guitar or an off shore and it's considered yucky at the same price point?

Anyway, I've never cared for Martin necks, but for Bluegrass it's almost like somebody's gotta have a D28 in the band, if not everybody who's playing guitar.

More thumpy with heavier strings than one's likely to get out of an AJ Gibson or even a Gibson square shoulder - but also with a classic bluegrass look. It seems like everybody I remember fingerpickin' the things would use fingerpicks in order to get much sound out of 'em (the heavy-stringed bluegrass-purposed nes) and the bass tended to overwhelm the trebles.

I guess I've just never had GAS for one enough even to seriously consider.

And when I GAS for a different look, I keep remembering GAS for a board guitar when playing in a hardcore old country band 'cuz at the time "nobody important" even though of playing what I had and "nobody important" sounded like stuff I had for guitars.

So dumped a nice electric 12 and a nice orange Gretsch while trading for the board and a bigger amp. The board was nice, but it's now my 3rd backup electric; the amp looked nice and far more powerful on the bandstand than the old DR, but it never went above around 3 in 10 even in a good-sized saloon.

Nowadays my "GAS" is if I wanna play a totally different style and the guitar would match. Or... often that's answered by a counter-question of, "why try to look and sound exactly like somebody else if I already like my XXX guitar and amp?"

m

I went throught the buy and upgrade cycle on 4 Martins last year. Martin GC, martin D28, D28 herring bone and the Eric Claption. All were solid wood, all were sitka and rosewood. I could not bond with any of them. I pride myself on being able to play almost any neck style, but the Martins were just plaun uncomfortable after prolonged playing. The tone was bassy enough but thr treble was kinda of jangly.

I still want a Martin and will be looking for a Mahogany model, me and Rosewood don't get along real well. I do own a Martin 12 string HPL and really like the playability and tone on it.

The other factor that turned me off is that I am used to the nice rich "voice" tones off of my two standard Hummingbirds. Just wasn't heariing it on the Martins. My Hummingbird pro reminds me of Martin, but once again just has a mellower "voice" and terrific volume.

I am sure there is Martin in my future sometime. But my Gibson acoustics have spoiled me.

2010 Hummingbird

2003 Hummingbird

2008 CSM (Canadian- discontinued very under rated))

2009 Hummingbird Pro

Yup, and lots of folks did exactly what I did in my young and impressionable years: I bought guitars and amps 'cuz it always was suggested that you hadda have this or that sound and that the only way to get "THAT" sound was to have the right equipment for it.

I note the term above as "owns or has owned" a D28. For many, it's a matter of having stuff 'cuz "they" say you should ought to have it to be "right" with what and where you're playing music for money.

Yet... it always seems like the old pros end up mostly using stuff they like playing - even if they're paid extra for a "Something Model XX" that secretly is modified to feel like another guitar...

That's not to "dis" the D28. Some folks do marvelous work with 'em. A lotta folks have 'em 'cuz they're "THE" guitar in their own minds when they'd be better off with a particleboard auditorium size Martin or whatever.

If you have D28 technique and the D28 "feel" is right for you, it's an incredible instrument worth twice what you'll pay for it. If you ain't got the above, it's two to three times more expensive than it's worth - and in fact may be counterproductive in developing some folks technique and playing "comfort" physically and mentally.

And I'd proclaim that also in a Martin forum even if I thought the D28 was the only guitar for me and what I play.

If somebody gave me one, it'd be used occasionally when I'd play certain kinds of music. But for that cash, there are a lotta other options I'd consider at this point.

m

Gibson seems to make great Mahogany and Maple guitars and Martin makes a great Rosewood guitar. I would recommend getting a pre 1980's Martin as lots have agreed that there quality has fallen since then. This just if your super picky about true to tone and workmanship and all that. You can get a good guitar from many companies but these two seem to be the top of the mark. I also would say that you should try out guitar before you buy them.

Yep Ive got one also it's a solid guitar, and one of the true classics but doesn't even make it into the top 5 on my acoustic list. It's a classic though like you said and the 000 body has a good all around tone tone. I have two 2-28 copies made by a custom luthier that I love though but so ???

if I had to rank my acoustic top guitars it would be

1. McPherson Koa/Bearclaw Sitka 4.5 with 1 7/8 neck

2. Hummingbird

3. George Leach - 000 Koa (D-28 clone)

4.J-45

5. Santa Cruz Tony rice model

6.Froggy Bottom H-14

7. Martin D-28

Guest rogerb

I bought a 1968 D-28 brand new in '68. Brazilian rosewood back and sides. Great sounding guitar! I still have it.

Grungie...

Note that I'm NOT dissing the D28, but with the relatively heavy strings with which it's normally used, it takes a certain style of playing. Back in the olden days if one saw one being played, it was with a flatpick strumming with bass runs a la Bluegrass, or with fingerpicks and thumbpick for some of the folkie stuff of the era.

Frankly the AJ isn't too far from a similar schtick; the Hummingbird ditto - although they have more mids and the bird not infrequently had a top E with something less than a 13.

My real point to my own comments is that not all iconic guitars necessarily are purchased or used for any practical or functional reason, but rather because of a belief that, "Gee, everybody has one, so..."

Yes, a big body works best for Bluegrass and certain types of acoustic playing; but the smaller body acoustic, even the parlor guitar, bring something to the mix that might far better function with a given guitarist's style and needs as opposed to marketing-induced "want."

We're all guilty to such perceptions because it seems to be part of what makes us human.

Now for me, I doubt I'll buy any acoustic without an immediate add-on to make it an AE. That's true of small or large body.

There was a time in my youth when I figured I "needed" a D28. Instead, since I was doing CW weekends in saloons and only doing "old time" while helping promote a major local "old time" sorta festival, I ended up with one of the early AEs - the AE Ovation that pretty much was the first "in." It worked well as an acoustic strummer for CW and also worked quite well backing up fiddlers and beating on for Bluegrass. For what it's worth, at roughly 40 years old it still works just as well in both functions and it takes a bit of banging around better than a D28 or AJ. It just ain't nearly as pretty or "popular."

So nowadays? I dunno. I've seen quite a few less-expensive guitars that met my needs and seemed to be a value for dollar. But for a bassy high quality dread? Nope. I've got plenty of stuff to handle that kinda gig, and if they're stepped on by somebody's horse - which ain't always unlikely, it ain't the end of the world.

My GAS is in other directions.

m

Martin makes a lotta good guitars. They make nice smaller guitars. I think personally they'd have been better off marketing their lower cost, lesser quality material guitars with a different name, as with Gibson and Epi, but...

Go to their web site. I don't think they have a page any more with a "what version to pick" they used to have, but there are lots of sizes, shapes, AEs of lots of sizes and shapes - and even round shoulder AJ types and a jumbo that are their version of Gibsons even as Gibson made square shoulders like Martins.

Their smaller guitars were quite popular, as were Gibson smaller instruments, for home pickers before the big bodies and archtops really "hit" in the radio era and dances were a bit bigger than a small barn..

m

I've been watching reviews of Martin guitars on youtube.

The HD-28 has scalloped bracing which make it louder and has a better bass response to it.

The "H" in HD-28 means herringbone overlay in the white binding.

Another thing is the HD-28 has a tortoise pickguard which is REAL tortoise shell.

The HD-28 is more classy and is made more like a vintage style D-28.

I think that's what I'm going to buy.

For 300 bucks more than the D-28, The HD-28 has more features.

The D-28 seems "plain jane" for that much change. haha!

Hate to burst your bubble, but the HD-28 does not use "real" tortoise shell.

Might be authentic tortoise shell design, but still plastic of some grade.

I,m sure Martin Company does not want PETA camped out in front of their factory.

Archived