Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here own a Martin D-28?

I went throught the buy and upgrade cycle on 4 Martins last year. Martin GC, martin D28, D28 herring bone and the Eric Claption. All were solid wood, all were sitka and rosewood. I could not bond with any of them. I pride myself on being able to play almost any neck style, but the Martins were just plaun uncomfortable after prolonged playing. The tone was bassy enough but thr treble was kinda of jangly.

I still want a Martin and will be looking for a Mahogany model, me and Rosewood don't get along real well. I do own a Martin 12 string HPL and really like the playability and tone on it.

The other factor that turned me off is that I am used to the nice rich "voice" tones off of my two standard Hummingbirds. Just wasn't heariing it on the Martins. My Hummingbird pro reminds me of Martin, but once again just has a mellower "voice" and terrific volume.

I am sure there is Martin in my future sometime. But my Gibson acoustics have spoiled me.

2010 Hummingbird

2003 Hummingbird

2008 CSM (Canadian- discontinued very under rated))

2009 Hummingbird Pro

If you get the chance, try out a Jumbo bodied Martin. I have one, and to me it seems to address most of the tonal issues you found with the D28.

I've been watching reviews of Martin guitars on youtube.

The HD-28 has scalloped bracing which make it louder and has a better bass response to it.

The "H" in HD-28 means herringbone overlay in the white binding.

Another thing is the HD-28 has a tortoise pickguard which is REAL tortoise shell.

The HD-28 is more classy and is made more like a vintage style D-28.

I think that's what I'm going to buy.

For 300 bucks more than the D-28, The HD-28 has more features.

The D-28 seems "plain jane" for that much change. haha!

Glad to see you're looking in that direction (suggested it early in the thread). But do check some other models too before you buy (make a road trip to the nearest decent stocking Martin Dealer- even if you need to drive 8 hours or more and make it an over nighter, it'll be worth it to see, hear and try several styles). From one of your last posts, I'd also suggest you check some of the non-Dreadnought models. Perhaps something that begins with "0". But as D28s go, I think the HD is well worth the extra cost (at least to me it is!).

All kidding aside, and regardless of marque, I know that the AE "extra stuff" on an acoustic steals some "tone" or whatever, but I'd not buy any of 'em without it being AE unless it was a matter of truly near theft.

m

My understanding is that they stopped entirely with the herringbone around 1945 'cuz the herringbone pattern had been made in Germany and was no longer available. The company sez they're the same guitar but - they don't use this term - the herringbone has a bit more bling.

Dunno when they stopped with the real tortoise shell stuff - but plastic look-alike was very common and real tortoise shell stuff already very uncommon in general in the 1950s as I recall. In fact, fake tortoiseshell is among the first "plastic" uses over a century ago. Celluloid dates back to around 1870 as a less expensive replacement. Real tortoise shell has been illegal for trade since the early 1970s.

I'm not sure when nitrate cellulose pick guards replaced real tortoise on Martins - possibly around the time they stopped inlaying them into the top??? I dunno. That would have been pre WWII it appears.

But I'm no Martin history expert.

m

I dont have a D-28 but I do have a D-18 which is a fantastic guitar. I inherited it and it is the guitar that got me interested in guitars. I have played a d-28 in a store and it was also very nice but I prefer the tone of the Mahogany backed D-18 to the Rosewood backed D-28. All of the solid wood Martins are very nice and I would try several models before choosing one. The D-28 might just be perfect for you but it couldnt hurt to hold a few other Dreadnaughts before such a high end choice. You may just fall in love with the HD others were speaking of. man I love shopping for guitars. I like to go to the one Im interested in and walk around with it comparing it to everything else in the store. Its Like a neurotic ritual [drool]. I wish I had money. LOL

Yea your correct. Someone had told me wrong.

I real old vintage one would be though wouldn't it?

When did they use real tortoise and when did they stop?

I can hear the difference between a real and fake tortoise shell pickguard. Honest Inguns.

Archived