Gibson Brands Forums

2012 LP Standard in Honey Burst

JScott

I am going to order a new 2012 very soon and just can't decide on color. I have been going between the Honey or Desert Bursts and would love to see some more Honey Burst pictures. Also are the guitars close to what Gibson shows online? I got to play one recently on a trip to the lower 48 but anything I buy will have to be shipped up to Fairbanks where I live. Unfortunately no one sells them in Fairbanks and there is never a great selection in Anchorage to choose from. I have a 99 Classic in Herritage Cherry and I would prefer to be able to see the wood grain on the back. Any pictures of your LP in Honey Burst would be very helpful. Thanks!

Ya, even though I wouldn't display the back like you would always see the front, I love the look of wood and hate to "paint" it. Although I do have a Classic that is red and slightly translucent and a Black Eric Clapton Strat. The pictures of the Honey Burst backs are very nice.

Thanks

pippy,

What year and model is this? it is gorgeous! As it ages does it get richer in color?

Thanks for the nice words, folks.

It's a 1995 '1960 Classic' (with a Premium-Plus top). A previous owner swapped-in a pair of Seymour Duncan 'Antiquities'.

I've only had it a few years so can only guess as to whether it will 'amber' more with age.

It does look darker than normal for a Honey Sunburst in 'real life'. My guess is this is partly because the banding of the figure on the top is, itself, darker in comparison to most slabs of maple and this gives the whole thing a darker appearance. Also, the base yellow coat might well be more amber to begin with compared to a newer example.

P.

• 1 month later...

I am going to order a new 2012 very soon and just can't decide on color. I have been going between the Honey or Desert Bursts and would love to see some more Honey Burst pictures. Also are the guitars close to what Gibson shows online? I got to play one recently on a trip to the lower 48 but anything I buy will have to be shipped up to Fairbanks where I live. Unfortunately no one sells them in Fairbanks and there is never a great selection in Anchorage to choose from. I have a 99 Classic in Herritage Cherry and I would prefer to be able to see the wood grain on the back. Any pictures of your LP in Honey Burst would be very helpful. Thanks!

Do like I did.....GET THEM BOTH! I bought my Honey burst from a guy off Craig's list and it was in great condition considering he gigged with it, probably an 8 condition. Then Bam, two weeks later a Cherry burst showed up and I went to look at it and it was as out of box condition as could be. I couldn't resist so I grabbed it up. One thing to consider is, I'm reading the new 2012 Standards are coming with the slim taper necks and coil splitting pots. I had coil splitting pots on a PRS and never used the feature. I also prefere the heavier neck and profile of the 2008 series Standards and the beefier neck of the Traditional's of which I have also. But that's my preference and that doesn't matter.

This isn't a very good close up of the Honey burst but I'm pleased with it. That's on ething I haven't done is shot close up photo's, maybe need to do that someday.

IMG_1328corrected.jpg

It seems there are many beautiful Honey Bursts. I am very pleased with my rather heavy 2012 Standard in Honey Burst, and I never would want to dispense with its switching options. To me they have been a strong argument for the buy.

Archived