Gibson Brands Forums

May I impose upon a few minutes of your time once again..

merseybeat1963

Great Post !!

Purcell...one of the greats...

Becoming more and more appreciated as people hear his music... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I especially love him & George Fredrich Handel.

Common attitude here is the music covering the whole 400-500 years is one lump kind of thing under ye label "Classical Music"..

And most look no further than the shite thats readily fed to them (mostly 19th Cent )in passing,not realizing the gold mine of music in the past.

Wish I had realized when I was young to have focused on learning to play it.

As young children we were given 'The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' by Benjamin Britten at school...

A totally exciting and inspirational 'educational' piece

Featuring a rousing theme by Purcell...

Thankyou Britten and Purcell for turning so many young minds on to orchestral music... [thumbup]

V

As young children we were given 'The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra' by Benjamin Britten at school...

A totally exciting and inspirational 'educational' piece

Featuring a rousing theme by Purcell...

Thankyou Britten and Purcell for turning so many young minds on to orchestral music... [thumbup]

V

This is probably one reason England & Ireland is where this music really lives. They are installing a richness into the children.

When we visited Exeter in the mid 90's I happened to sit in at Evensong..When I heard that Choir..in that place I became paralized at the sound of them.

I said to my wife if there was ever a retirement for us to live near such a place I would be every evensong there to hear it.

And in our first visit to UK we were in Windsor doing the usual tourist thing when the Greek in me took an abrupt turn off that path into St.Georges Chapel where a rehearsal was going on..and this Indian chick,,I could not believe my ears.

When it had concluded I had to worm my way next to her & say that she sang like an angel & that i loved her. : )

Archived