Gibson Brands Forums

Aw wight you waskawy Wabbit, I've eaten

TommyK

My wife spied a rabbit in our fenced in garden yesterday. He, apparently went under.

She saw that he ate a bit out of a cabbage plant, then shook his head violently, ran around then took a bit out of another plant, shook his head some more. The he ran around then slammed into the wire fence. The impact lifted the bottom end up and he was gone.

My secret weapon worked.

Once a week and after it rains, I apply Sevin insect control with my little hose-end garden sprayer with the little quart mix bottle on the bottom. After I add the liquid Sevin, I add 1/2 to 1/3 of a bottle of habanero Hot Sauce to the mix. We've never tasted the hot sauce on our washed vegetables we bring to the table, but the rabbit doesn't like it.

I though about killin' him, but kinda hated to go that far. I decided to go this route. Seems to be working. Hopefully, he and his little friend (we've had 2 rabbits lurking outside the fence) have learned a lesson and will steer clear of our veggies.

[sneaky]

If not....

My wife spied a rabbit in our fenced in garden yesterday. He, apparently went under.

She saw that he ate a bit out of a cabbage plant, then shook his head violently, ran around then took a bit out of another plant, shook his head some more. The he ran around then slammed into the wire fence. The impact lifted the bottom end up and he was gone.

My secret weapon worked.

Once a week and after it rains, I apply Sevin insect control with my little hose-end garden sprayer with the little quart mix bottle on the bottom. After I add the liquid Sevin, I add 1/2 to 1/3 of a bottle of habanero Hot Sauce to the mix. We've never tasted the hot sauce on our washed vegetables we bring to the table, but the rabbit doesn't like it.

I though about killin' him, but kinda hated to go that far. I decided to go this route. Seems to be working. Hopefully, he and his little friend (we've had 2 rabbits lurking outside the fence) have learned a lesson and will steer clear of our veggies.

[sneaky]

If not....

Squirrels for me, they were eating the bejesus out of the wife's flowers.

I have a 40oz bottle I crammed full of chilies, and oil about 5 yrs ago, I refer to it as the devil's 40oz [scared] it is a one drop oil i use making chili.

I mix some of it with a bit of hot water chili powder, and Cayenne and a drop of dish soap to disperse the oils and it helps the capsicum stick to the plants.

Works like a champ.

Once a week and after it rains, I apply Sevin insect control with my little hose-end garden sprayer...

Yikes. We don't use any pesticides in our garden. The most my back yard gets is some Burnout II to control weeds and that is mostly clove oil. Makes your back yard smell like a sweet potato pie and the pets can be around it with no risk.

We let them have at it. We put in a bed just for the rabbits, it's closest to their cover areas. They barely even bother with that one, seems that if they are allowed to have it they don't want it. I was out last night after work getting some arugula and some romaine for today, the rabbit watched me pick it and hopped away because he was tired from watching me work. We don't bother them and they don't bother us, so we share. The squirrels are like a yard full of one year olds, they don't bother us much at all, little digging here and there, but nothing in the grand scheme of the crapshoot that is organic gardening for us to eat.

rct

I like the chili spray idea!

Our pests are the local wood-pigeons. They've eaten half the cherries from our solitary cherry-tree even before they'd started to turn red.

We wrapped medium-mesh fruit-netting around the whole tree (seriously!) and now they can't get a perch so here's hoping we'll get some of the remaining fruit once they ripen...

P.

we use a mixture of water/lemon and dishwashing soap mixed with water and sprayed on plants seems to work on both pests like rabbits and bugs although it doesn't keep the damn deer from eating my grapevine's at our cabin seems that only a fence will do that. and for right rct; Ive watched the deer standing in wild grapes we've planted outside the fence stretching their necks over the fence to eat my grapevines, guess the fence makes mine taste better. .

Squirrels for me, they were eating the bejesus out of the wife's flowers.

I have a 40oz bottle I crammed full of chilies, and oil about 5 yrs ago, I refer to it as the devil's 40oz [scared] it is a one drop oil i use making chili.

I mix some of it with a bit of hot water chili powder, and Cayenne and a drop of dish soap to disperse the oils and it helps the capsicum stick to the plants.

Works like a champ.

Ahhhh dish soap. I knew there was a way to make it stick better. Thanks!

My next batch of 'secret sauce' will get a bit of suds.

Yikes. We don't use any pesticides in our garden. The most my back yard gets is some Burnout II to control weeds and that is mostly clove oil. Makes your back yard smell like a sweet potato pie and the pets can be around it with no risk.

Sevin is a good choice because it doesn't get into the plant, it just stays on the outside. On the down side, water readily washes it off when it rains. On the upside water readily washes it off when you're ready to eat. Sevin is one of the more environmentally friendly pesticides. If I didn't use Sevin, the bugs would devastate the garden and rabbits would be the least of my problems. The alternative is killing the bugs one by one, but my aim and artillery ain't that good. I can hit the butt of a rabbit with pellet gun at 30 yards, but a cabbage beetle is beyond my ability to hit short of point blank. At 30 yards a pellet will only give the rabbit a raspberry and memory that my garden isn't to be trifled with, but it won't kill him. But, if the hot sauce works, I would rather leave the pellet gun in the scabbard.

If you ever see any Jackrabbits (skinny long rabbits with huge ears) your spray won't work they eat our Jalapeño plants peppers included. I just let the dog out he'll never catch one but he get's his exercise and feels tough and they get chased off.

Dogs are the best deterrent to vermin. Letting the dog do his or her business in the back yard keeps the rabbits and squirrels away. Alas, our dog passed away several years ago. While I loved my dog I am not ready for the responsibility of raising another... not yet.

I like the chili spray idea!

Our pests are the local wood-pigeons. They've eaten half the cherries from our solitary cherry-tree even before they'd started to turn red.

We wrapped medium-mesh fruit-netting around the whole tree (seriously!) and now they can't get a perch so here's hoping we'll get some of the remaining fruit once they ripen...

P.

Fruit tree netting is made just for that purpose.

we use a mixture of water/lemon and dishwashing soap mixed with water and sprayed on plants seems to work on both pests like rabbits and bugs although it doesn't keep the damn deer from eating my grapevine's at our cabin seems that only a fence will do that. and for right rct; Ive watched the deer standing in wild grapes we've planted outside the fence stretching their necks over the fence to eat my grapevines, guess the fence makes mine taste better. .

"The grapes are always grapier on the other side of the fence"

Have you thought about topping the fence with a strand or two of barbed wire above the woven part?

If the place is remote enough, maybe a solar powered electric cattle fence might keep them at bay. Won't kill 'em but will deter them.

It's the ground squirels we have to deal with.

We're always shooting at them with the Red Rider Bee Bee gun.

It's more fun than anything else. It doesn't hurt them. We've never killed any of them with the Daisy.

Last week was different however.

I bought my son a Ruger .177 single shot pellet gun for his birthday.

He smoked one of the larger males with it.

Now he's pushing up daisies instead of stealing them.

Litterally, I burried him in the garden and planted a bunch of blue daisies over him.

It's the ground squirels we have to deal with.

We're always shooting at them with the Red Rider Bee Bee gun.

It's more fun than anything else. It doesn't hurt them. We've never killed any of them with the Daisy.

Last week was different however.

I bought my son a Ruger .177 single shot pellet gun for his birthday.

He smoked one of the larger males with it.

Now he's pushing up daisies instead of stealing them.

Litterally, I burried him in the garden and planted a bunch of blue daisies over him.

Ha! that sir is comedy gold.

Also with some of the gardening you do I am surprised you don't have more Happy little animals running about.

[biggrin]

There Are two things deer detest,

Both come from you and are totally free.

I used to save My hair All winter from self served haircuts, in a sealed plastic bags and spread it around my plantings through out the season,

Urinating around the planting area does wonders to drive off deer as well.

There Are two things deer detest,

Both come from you and are totally free.

I used to save My hair All winter from self served haircuts, in a sealed plastic bags and spread it around my plantings through out the season,

Urinating around the planting area does wonders to drive off deer as well.

Yep urine works great but sadly my wife thinks it's totally disgusting and I'd probably end up with a pellet in the butt, haven't tried the hair might have to try that another good option seems to be just a handful of regular old mothballs seems to keep almost everything away including the neighbors cat's which while they don't eat the garden they sure think the freshly tilled soil is a pretty great restroom preparation which is pretty nasty.

we even tried a motion activated water sprayer which worked on everything but the mule deer they just use it to cool off and get water when it's hot.

Guest rogerb

But using hot sauce to control rabbits and squirrels is a great idea.

Unless they develope a taste for hot sauce! [crying]

Ha! that sir is comedy gold.

Also with some of the gardening you do I am surprised you don't have more Happy little animals running about.

[biggrin]

No happy squirels here.

Just dead ones.

But seriously, we've got a problem with them because as homes are being built on the property above us, they seem to move into my property.

They're so bad sometimes I'm affraid they're going to kidnap our cat, tie her up, haul her to the tall grass and leave her for dead.

Nasty varments.

It was a running joke around here that she's a fraidy cat and that she might get catnapped by the squirels.

100_0564.jpg

But seriously, we've got a problem with them because as homes are being built on the property above us, they seem to move into my property.

I'm thinking they're like cockroaches, bedbugs and termites. They come in on the lumber trucks and moving vans.

100_0564.jpg

The one on the left looks a lot like mine. Did you get it for $19.99 at a Cummins Tool Sale?

I've been using the flat nosed pellets. I figure if I wanted 'em dead I'd use the pointed ones or the hollow points.

No happy squirels here.

Just dead ones.

They're so bad sometimes I'm affraid they're going to kidnap our cat, tie her up, haul her to the tall grass and leave her for dead.

Nasty varments.

It was a running joke around here that she's a fraidy cat and that she might get catnapped by the squirels.

100_0564.jpg

you get a mess of em', make some stew, squirrels are good eatin'[thumbup]

you get a mess of em', make some stew, squirrels are good eatin'[thumbup]

Everybody keeps telling us that.

I guess I'm going to have to whip up a batch of squirrel stew or maybe toss a few of them on the 'Q.

Mmmhhh, Santa Maria Style Squirrel. Slow cooked with red oak over an open pit.

Everybody keeps telling us that.

I guess I'm going to have to whip up a batch of squirrel stew or maybe toss a few of them on the 'Q.

Mmmhhh, Santa Maria Style Squirrel. Slow cooked with red oak over an open pit.

See, now you're just making me hungry...

Archived